Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that did the opposite of grow on you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarksideofCollages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:26
I love pink Floyd to Death! but spends months without listening any of their albums as I had listen to the albums thousands of times!!! but I still love Mighty Floyd.
https://darksideofabel.blogspot.com/
DarksideofCollages View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarksideofCollages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

One of the advantages of having a large music collection is that there is always something to listen to without having to overplay anything. I try hard not to overplay my favorites so as not to kill the magic. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite groups, same with King Crimson, but I'll sometimes go years without listening to them. Then I'll pull them all out and go on a listening spree and the magic is still there. Neil Young is another that I'll sometimes go 5-6 years without playing, then go on a weeklong Neil Young kick, listening to all his albums from first to last.

This is the way to do it
exactly!!!!!!! my point!!!!Clap
https://darksideofabel.blogspot.com/
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 16:22
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Eh? Who put SEBTP? No one got fed up with DSOTM yet? WHY FOOKIN NOT!!!!

Cuz its about the best album out there.  Never got tired of it. IMHO

Edited by tdfloyd - May 21 2020 at 17:21
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 20:07
Selling England by the Pound and Tales of Topographical Oceans were two that I loved when they came out (though never liked "The Battle of Epping Forest" and it took me a while to love "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight") but I have to psych myself into listening to today. 

Also, any/all of Peter Gabriel's solo albums after the first one. While I loved them when they came out, I've soured on all of them--'cept that first one. I LOVE the first one.

Also, Wish You Were Here--loved it as a kid, hate it now.

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 22 2020 at 20:08
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 20:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Selling England by the Pound and Tales of Topographical Oceans were two that I loved when they came out (though never liked "The Battle of Epping Forest" and it took me a while to love "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight") but I have to psych myself into listening to today. 

Also, any/all of Peter Gabriel's solo albums after the first one. While I loved them when they came out, I've soured on all of them--'cept that first one. I LOVE the first one.

Also, Wish You Were Here--loved it as a kid, hate it now.

Would you attribute that more to burnout? There are many albums like Dark Side of the Moon which i still love but rarely listen to because i've just heard them way too many times but when i do the magic is still there.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 08:54
I thought of another one for me and that is Point of Know Return by Kansas(thanks to the Kansas poll for reminding me). It's certainly not a bad album but the last time I listened to it it didn't have that excitement that it used to. I think some albums suffer from the law of diminishing returns more than others and just don't sound as good with repeated listens. I don't think this would happen with leftoverture but I should play it again soon to find out.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 01:40
Unlike movies with a twist (once seen, the twist is known so a review is pointless)...Classics like TFTO actually mature like a good cheese. When I was young n daft I think that I almost liked Duke even tho I listened to some terrible stuff like Napalm Death, Slayer and Venom...mind you if I wanted summat to annoy my wife...😂
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:27
Neurosis were good, but the Steve Albini-produced albums sent me into a downward spiral after a few listens. Can't listen to anything past TSIB now.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:33
The more times I hear Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge album, the less I like it, especially when it's compared with the far superior Tubular Bells and Ommadawn. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234