FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GG-themed Playing Cards?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GG-themed Playing Cards?
    Posted: April 07 2024 at 06:19
Excuse me for making a one-man performance out of this thread, but here's the ultimate card design: Tony Visconti has finally got a color image! 

So, you may download the pictures from this page and compile yourself the whole 54-card deck now. At least, I did so. 

Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 06:42
Here we get it all completed now. 

Print, play and have fun! 

Each card in each card what ever what ever... 

Embarrassed
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 05:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I thought Saddam Hussein was the Ace of Spades. Tongue

Smile

It's all in the pre-beta mode. The images may be changed, modified, swapped, whatever. It would be better for me to use the image of Kerry playing on keyboards, for sure. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 05:30
For those interested, the images are (just in case): 

Ace 
 Hearts - Kerry Minnear (the main composer of the band, the keyboardist, cellist, percussionist, frequent singer in studio, occasional rare singer on stage, PhD in composition at London Royal Academy of Music, the man that was selected instead of Elton John; a very humble, gentle, friendly person; a Christian Protestant believer).
Diamonds - Derek Shulman (singer and as such the frontman of the band). 
Clubs - Ray Shulman (bass guitar, cello). 
Spades - Phil Shulman (winds and some occasional singing; the eldest of the Shulmans, the eldest member in the band, left the band for good very early, but still was the founder and the axis of the band). 

King
 Hearts - Gary Green (guitars, a nice and friendly guy). 
 Diamonds - John Weather (drums, percussions, the drummer you actually see on 75% of their photos and 99.9% of their videos). 
 Clubs - Malcolm Mortimore (drums, played on only one album but that was Three Friends the album!). 
 Spades - Martin Smith (drums, undoubtedly also a nice person that left the band after the two albums where they and thus his playing had yet not reached the extreme heights). 

Queen 
 Gentle Giant (the debut album). 
 Three Firends. 
 The Power And The Glory. 
 Octopus. 

Jack
 Interview. 
 Free Hand. 
 In A Glass House (the first album after the departure of Phil, so it was a crisis for them and they were looking for a new approach, more rhythmic one - therefore, the compositions grew longer and in case of artificially expanded "Way Of Life" it became clear they had not have enough new material; hence my relative dislike of the album). 
 Acquiring The Taste (too monotonous for my taste). 

Playing The Fool - The Official Live (with all my true respect, it's only concert performances and as such very much the repetition of already made material, and several songs from their concert list had to be cut from this album because of duration limitations). 
 The Missing Piece (for me, As Old As You're Young is one of their all-time classic tunes). 
 Giant For A Day (I find it suspicious that Queen's "I'm Going Slightly Mad" recorded 13 years later, sounds very much alike to the eponymous song from this 1978's album; yeah, and GG's debut also ends with the rendition of The British National Anthem 5 years prior to Queen). 
 Civilian (a new wave attempt, the classic GGiant'ish sound has gone forever). 

Giant On The Box (DVD). 
 GG At The GG (DVD). 
 Under Construction (2 Audio CD). 
 Scraping The Barrel (3 Audio CD + 1 Data CD incl. mp3's). 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 05:25
I thought Saddam Hussein was the Ace of Spades. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 03 2024 at 07:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 04:59
Here are the normal-or-so size ones. I have swapped the images of Interview and Octopus, because I decided that putting Octopus in the 2nd rank would be wrong (I still love Interview very much for its stylistic variety and GG-style dissonances galore). 

In my comprehension, the suits go high-to-low thus: hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades. The black sharp weapon of Spades does not look supreme for me... Too black and too sharptipped, there is. 

So, I tried to rank it all somehow, to my tastes. Kerry Minnear is the greatest one of them all. Their debut album was excellent for its time, excellent due to its incredible versatility. Giant For A Day the album was obviously better genre-wise than Civilian, as for me. 

Unfortunately I could not find the large images for the cards of Two and Three, as of now. I'll try to find them on my PC. 

Unexpectedly, Gentle Giant the band and their output fit putting onto playing cards perfectly! Shocked 
There are 8 (2*4) members, overall. Four of them were clearly more equal than the other four - no offence, just pure logics. 
There are 8 (2*4) classic albums in the classic prog style. 
There are 4 more albums in their discography (1 official live + 3 studio). 
There are 2 official DVDs plus 2 outtakes&rarities collections. 

Hardly any other band could play that game called their career that playing cards-alike. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 04:39
Here are the mini-ones below: 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 04:18
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

They look fantastic. Clap

I would buy a pack (even though I can't play cards!) Smile

I am still hoping someday I will be able to produce my set of playing cards. I have recently printed me a set on cardboard sheets. Anybody can do the same, actually. But to make it all on a professional level... I'd like my playing cards to be plastic, thick enough. I used to have a pack of Charlin Chaplin-themed playing cards by Piatnik. Respectable card makers and all that stuff - but the cards were too thin and fragile to actually use them. Just a nice gift, sorts of. 

As for the trading cards that are for sale on GG's merch site, they are excellent, indeed. A superb idea! I haven't bought them though, because I don't like trading cards. When I was a teenager in the 1990s I collected some Mortal Kombat ones, and that's it. 

When I finally complete my project of GG PLAYING cards, I will make all of you people know and possibly (POSSIBLY) send them to you for free. As of now, they are only on screen. 
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 01:54
They look fantastic. Clap

I would buy a pack (even though I can't play cards!) Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:20
Meanwhile, the Gentle Giant trading cards are already on sale. I may only hope that I have inspired their creators somehow by my project of the playing cards. Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 10:20
^ Thanks! I hope one day the new deck will see a commercial release so that everybody interested may buy it. 

I suppose that my ideas about changed suit signs, suit names, names of some cards... is too much for the start. 

I think, it must be the same suits, same names, same inscriptions on the cards. Just the GG-related images on each of them. 

Let's play the... knots, then Ouch
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 00:13
Hey bro I'm back PM me let's get it rolling! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 13:43
My urge for breaking the old rules continues...

New suits for the GG deck of playing cards:

Sllepty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sllepty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:53
I love this so much. Great work!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 04:44
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I still got you on designs bro I'm back next week we'll connect, I actually have drafts!

Many thanks. I think I must use the color photo of Tony Visconti (Eight Of Clubs), because even late Martin Smith has the color photo in the deck. It's kinda unprofessional of me to use the only black-and-white photo for Mr. Visconti for no obvious reason. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 00:23
I still got you on designs bro I'm back next week we'll connect, I actually have drafts!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 15:06
^ I'm at the stage of planning and designing. It's just raw sketches, not well-aligned, not well-thought. I had an idea of the playing card game probably called Knots and I wanted to create a special deck for it. 

As of now it's all uncompleted and exist only in electronic format. 

Anyway, I tried my best to make a concept of what it might be like. Perhaps I must return to the elder look of the playing cards when they all had undoubled, one-direction images. I don't know. But even in the pre-alpha-version raw design, yes, I agree, these cards look nice. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - October 24 2020 at 15:09
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 14:59
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

Not that it's something terribly unusual... 
As an eternal fan of Gentle Giant I have finally concocted something amateurish like this: 

Gentle Giant Playing Cards: 

Shut up and take my money!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 14:54
My work on the topic delayed somewhat for I haven't even completed the rules of the game. 

However, although it may look like pure showing off for showing off's sake, recently I decided to change the deck's conventions, as it were - not only the faces of the cards. 

The game is going to be GG-deck-specific and I am not from the English-speaking world, I am from the formerly-Soviet world of Eastern Slavs - hence my modifications of the names of some cards. 

Suits: 
 - Pins 
 - Ways 
 - Cogs 
 - Hits 

Values: 
2 - 10 
Valet 
Dame 
King 
Ace 

Black Ensemble 
Red Ensemble 

Russian names for Jack is Valet and for Queen is Dama, which have actually been borrowed from French long ago. In French it's Valet and Dame. 

Soviet media mostly used the French-derived word ansAmbl' for any music bands. So do I the original word ensemble for jokers.

Thus, I have paid some respect to my roots, totally removed the possible occult links. Pleased the French players, too. 

Ace Of Pins by Motorhead, King Of Pins by whoever painted the album cover for Gentle Giant... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:02
I have lost the initial project due to software problems on my PC. Perhaps it was for the better, although I had to make the same tedious work again. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - April 02 2024 at 16:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>