Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GG-themed Playing Cards?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GG-themed Playing Cards?
    Posted: May 19 2020 at 17:51
Not that it's something terribly unusual... 
As an eternal fan of Gentle Giant I have finally concocted something amateurish like this: 

Gentle Giant Playing Cards: 

Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 18:12
Very amusing !! Great job 👍🏼
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 18:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Very amusing !! Great job 👍🏼

Glad to hear it. Thank you! 
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 18:37
Always cool to see Ray with his bass snd playing the violin !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 15:44
I had a lot of doubts about image placement, so to say. Who goes where? I don't play card games that much, I'm not a player of bridge, I don't play mainstream card games. For me spades is just a suit like any other. 

Kerry Minnear was my obvious number one. At first, I wanted Kerry and Ray - two main creators of music (and two main improvisers and virtuosi, probably) in the band - to be Jokers. Then I've realized it would hurt Derek, and Phil as the eldest one... it's somewhat disrespectful, I thought. 

To my brain, hearts is the greatest of all suits because of its clear symbolism of light and love, et al. 
So, I have simply reflected my ranking of the guys and their albums in the aces and face cards. Tens bear vague backgrounds of PTF and the last three albums of the band. 

I was going to create a computer program of some sort to play some card game. There, I thought, specific, unique cards may give an exotic feel to the product. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 20 2020 at 16:07
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 15:56
Love it!

The playing card layout in the Steven Wilson version of The Power and the Glory is suberb, so I like your extension of the idea
Songs cast a light on you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 10:59
I am one of the happiest people on Earth the planet, as of now! 

Here we get it, the complete 54 card deck of GG-themed cards: 

I've finally made it! 

Tongue
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:55
Really good!!! Can I get a set?
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 01:29
Excellent work OP! Now we can "play the fool" together! Cool

What about a spin off of TPATG cards, like the ones they found on tour and based the album art off of - but with more GG themed images?!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 06:37
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Really good!!! Can I get a set?

Sure! There's the archived folder. In that 7z archive you will find everything, outttakes, original cards that I modified and even the video that you've watched on YouTube. 

As of now, the cards are only in electronic format. I've never printed them on paper yet. 

Certainly, you may notice there are graphical flaws here and there. It was rather constructed as the draft, as the say it alpha version of what it should be. 

I am glad that there's not only me who enjoyed the result. 

ClapBig smile

Edited by Woon Deadn - November 14 2020 at 11:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 06:42
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

What about a spin off of TPATG cards, like the ones they found on tour and based the album art off of - but with more GG themed images?!

My biggest problem is that I love making sort of picturesque collages but I am not a painter in the least. I also like playing music but I don't have any knowledge on how to play properly. And if with music it more or less works at times Shocked, I don't have decorating skills. I'm not even a half-decent graphical designer, etc. 

So, now I'd better stop. Who knows what will happen even in the near future then?.. 

Thank you for your warm words! 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 23 2020 at 13:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 12:24

Days had to be passed for me to realize that the national card game of the places I am from is called The Fool - Durak!  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 16:30
wow man...

that is geeked out even for prog fan standards... 

here..  have a B&J wine cooler salute..  oh I wouldn't touch one... but seems appropriate Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 00:59
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

My biggest problem is that I love making sort of picturesque collages but I am not a painter in the least. I also like playing music but I don't have any knowledge on how to play properly. And if with music it more or less works at times Shocked, I don't have decorating skills. I'm not even a half-decent graphical designer, etc. 

So, now I'd better stop. Who knows what will happen even in the near future then?.. 

Thank you for your warm words! 

You don't need a painter. You need a graphic designer. That's my second job. I do this stuff AAAALLL day! PM ME we'll kick around some potential ideas! Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:56

You don't need a painter. You need a graphic designer. That's my second job. I do this stuff AAAALLL day! PM ME we'll kick around some potential ideas! Tongue

I think, there must be some ripe potential fruits. We'll discuss it, I suppose. 

Anyway, I can tell you all what has led me to such a situation LOL

I have invented a new card game called Knots. One may say, it has very complicated rules, though I'd say that bridge and especially his Russian colleague called preferans have much more complicated rules. 
What's my game like, if in short? 
Telling you without specific playing card games' terminology. 
Two players, 54 cards deck (Red joker, Black Joker), 27 cards given to each at once. Every player discards all jokers to which the opponent must discard one card for every joker. Then the turns begin. Each turn requires that one player (goer for the turn) puts one card - to which the opponent (beater for the turn) puts one, too. 25 turns per deck, that is. No trumps, no bidding. No winners or losers of the tricks per se. Simply, there're 10 points for every turn, each player gets its portion of 10 points according to the very obvious scheme: thus, if the beaters card is senior and of the same suit - the beater gets 10 points, the goer - 0 points; if the beater's card is senior but of the other suit of the same color - beater gets 6 points, goer 4 points; if the card is senior but of the other color - both get 5 points, et al. Then, at every turn, the balls are counted - the difference between the values of the played cards. The game lasts until one of the players reaches 1,000 points. Winner's gain is calculated so: twice the loser's points plus twice the winner's balls minus values of the cards left unplayed. 4 decks are used, as there are maximum 8 rounds possible. At rounds 3,4,7,8 cards of the players are mirrored (hello, bridge the sports!). 
While the rules seem complicated, believe me, they are very fair, just, honest, mathematically approved, whatever. For example, if one of the players, by luck or by cheating, gets all the senior cards of high values in all rounds, his/her victory is practically inevitable, but the winning score, winning profit would be rather miserable, as it depends on the points of the loser. On the other hand, if the player wants to spoil the party of the opponent that is rushing to victory by losing every possible thing - ther's a factor of winner's balls (no pun intended). Then, like in boxing, KO at the beginning of any round is not what the audience paid its money for - similarly, when the new deck is being played, it is better for a winner to play it to the end. 

All in all, I had an idea of creating a computer program of some sort to play versus computer's AI. There the unique set of cards would add to the atmosphere. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 26 2020 at 13:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 18:07
The program that would allow me to play my card game against the computer - part 1, the beginning of its making. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 01:47
I'll be back mid week next week with some rough design drafts for you, Wood! Thumbs Up Cool

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 08:24

I'll be back mid week next week with some rough design drafts for you, Wood! Thumbs Up Cool

That's great! But I think I'll use my raw style cards for this game of mine. I am also going to create the same game for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis 16bit video game console (1989-1998, RIP). There it would obviously require very special skills, so it'll take me time to create the game with SGDK, as I have no desire to kill myself by using old day ASM. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:49
The game in full process

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:02
I have lost the initial project due to software problems on my PC. Perhaps it was for the better, although I had to make the same tedious work again. 

As of now, the program plays a bit, like that. The product is not yet completed, for sure. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>