Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Based on your appreciation, which of these ratings comes closest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [53.92%]
18 [17.65%]
18 [17.65%]
5 [4.90%]
4 [3.92%]
2 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
    Posted: May 20 2020 at 07:55
Close to the Edge is an album that has, methinks, been proclaimed by someone as the masterpiece of all masterpieces, perhaps not just in Prog but also when considering all forms of music. I considered writing some star descriptions, such as the quite inane "5 stars: a sublime and masterful work of art, perhaps the greatest music composed, performed and recorded ever", but this is about appreciation, and appreciation is subjective. Remember, to each his or her own tastes, and bear in mind the maxim, "Regarding taste, there is no dispute". That said, I hope this topic on taste leads to some vibrant discussion.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:18
You probably have a general idea how this thread is going to go.

It's a great, creative piece of music, that I rarely ever find myself reaching for. 4-4.5 stars
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:28
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

You probably have a general idea how this thread is going to go.

It's a great, creative piece of music, that I rarely ever find myself reaching for. 4-4.5 stars

A general idea, but it's the specific comments (individual impressions and approaches) that I'm most interested in. I never make a topic without anticipating response and the individual responses of particular members, but I'm quite often surprised how threads go or fail to go. Often the best discussion, I find, comes out of the "digressions", or related issues.

Edited by Logan - May 20 2020 at 08:31
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:30
I guess it depends partly on what parametres I would choose to use. Listening my way through it now...
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:34
5 stars. It's my favourite Yes album. But it's not my favourite album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:35
Following up on my comment, this is an album I would say is probably 5 stars looking at it objectively, but for my own personal taste, or subjective opinion, there is stuff I enjoy a lot more. So i'll give it 4 stars for that reason. There is nothing else that quite sounds like CTTE, but generally it doesn't move me like some of my favorites do (Camel, Harmonium etc). I am actually of the crowd that thinks Tales is the best Yes album, that music is absurdly beautiful and equally as creative as CTTE is in my opinion. I will say about CTTE, i've never really cared for that pipe organ section if i'm being honest.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 20 2020 at 09:01
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:42
It's a bit difficult for me to judge I guess. It's obvious that there are a lot of musical ideas in it, and it is quite bold to make a record with so much happening - maybe a little too much actually. In any case, it does sound impressive.

However, on a solely personal level, it does little for me. The paradox is that despite its musical complexity, it also tends to sound rather polished. Also, I am not so much a fan of John Anderson's singing; too "softening" perhaps?

Edited by The Anders - May 20 2020 at 09:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:46
One thing I'd like to say is that in Yes vs Genesis, Close To The Edge vs Foxtrot, and Close To The Edge vs Supper's Ready polls, it is Yes all the way.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:49
I'm listening to Siberian Khatru at the moment thinking what a brilliant way to end an album.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:56
I'm thinking about writing a review of this album, despite it having been been rated/reviewed so much already, and despite me being a very poor music reviewer. I'd have to give it a fresh listen to rate it. I do suspect that I would rate it for PA (to go with my review) higher than my actual appreciation would warrant. Right now I'd say that I might be around the 2.5 mark in terms of enjoyment. I think it's a good album, but it's not one that ever excited me. It never connected with me very much, and there are literally thousands of albums that I have enjoyed much more than it. I like the title track. I do think an early bias against it came into play. When I was introduced to it back in the late 80s by a friend, Fragile was one of my very favourite albums (the same friend had introduced me to that). He told me this was better still, but this album just didn't move me nearly as much. Since then I have tried listening to it again many times, but it never really clicked. I have enjoyed all of the earlier Yes albums more than it, and Yes isn't one of my favourite bands -- I tend to prefer Krautrock, RIO, Canterbury Scene, Prog Folk and Progressive Electronic to those in Symphonic Prog. A favourite album included in the Symphonic Prog category may be Clearlight's Clearlight Symphony. In Symphonic Prog-type music, many of my faves hail from France and Italy. And for a three track Prog album, I find, say, Bubu's Anabelas far more exciting.

Edited by Logan - May 20 2020 at 08:58
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:59

I've always needed a special mood for it. I think I respect this album more than I love it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:59
Judging by the results so far, it's a very popular album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've always needed a special mood for it. I think I respect this album more than I love it. 
Key word is "mood" for me here. Its an album that for me does require a specific mood for me to pull it out and spin it. I too respect that album more than I love it, unlike say Selling England By the Pound......I spin both albums because they are brilliant but Selling England I can spin it regardless of mood, pretty magical album with many moods on both sides.

I'm also a 4.5 for its sheer importance to the rock world. I am finding less and less rock fans/musicians who quote it as a major influence...times just be a changin'.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 10:00
I say a solid 4 stars for me - yes, it’s a classic, but over the years I’ve spun it so much that the freshness and magic has faded significantly for me. I rarely spin my record of it any more.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 10:18
I would say close to the edge is to prog rock what dark side of the moon is to classic rock. I would say 4.5 maybe 5 not sure.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 10:31
I am thinking that I should have used the word enjoyment rather than appreciation as they can have different connotations. I can appreciate something without necessarily enjoying it much and I had meant in terms of how much one enjoys the album. So my rating if I reviewed it would be higher than how much I have enjoyed it. I hope to become more precise in my language, but I get less precise as I age.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:03
I ended with 3.5. Undoubtedly it's a good album with many interesting ideas. But I feel that despite the many elaborate arrangements and musical structures, there isn't actually so much to get under the surface. It somehow comes across as sterile.

Edited by The Anders - May 20 2020 at 11:04
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:09
I clicked 4, probably that's because today I'm not in the mood for it. Not the slightest impulse to play it today, although I know I actually appreciate it and also like it on a good day. Probably between 4 and 5 depending on mood. I wrote before that it's impressive and also beautiful, but I think at times they do some showing off on the album that doesn't really help the music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would say close to the edge is to prog rock what dark side of the moon is to classic rock. I would say 4.5 maybe 5 not sure.

Yes, I understand that dark side is often considered prog rock and CTTE could be considered classic rock but for the most part I think CTTE is more closely associated with prog and DSOTM is more closely associated with classic rock. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:19
Being that there is no 4.5 star rating on this site I voted for 5 stars. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>