Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learning To Fly: pop song or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Learning To Fly: pop song or not?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [18.75%]
13 [27.08%]
2 [4.17%]
24 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 00:37
I love Floyd so you're asking the wrong person here. I don't care.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 02:52
Its weird most of the people including me voted 'Don't Care' but not because we 'don't care' but because Pink Floyd goes beyond a label of just being a progressive rock band that's why I selected "Don't Care' because I do care about Floyd enough to open up my mind to whatever they do, it usually works out excellent no matter what label is put on it. Tongue
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:52
Pop means popular to the masses and I don't know how popular this was---Big smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Pop means popular to the masses and I don't know how popular this was---Big smile

According to wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_to_Fly_(Pink_Floyd_song)

Quote It reached number 70 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart and number 1 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart in September, 1987, remaining three consecutive weeks at the top position in the autumn of the same year. Meanwhile, the song failed to chart on the official U.K. top 40 singles charts.[3][4] On the other hand, in Spain, the song peaked at number 1 on the Los 40 Principales chart....

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Learning to Fly on the other hand reached number 46 on the UK charts and number 28 on the US Billboard Hot 100.

I've heard it a huge number of times on the radio (rock radio stations).

Edited by Logan - May 22 2020 at 09:24
Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 11:11
And nobody outside PA & PE remembers Emerson, Lake & Powell's "Learning to Fly"!
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

Why do think it is a pop song?
It's a Pink Floyd song.....it's not pop music.

I'm sorry, but how does it being a Pink Floyd song immediately translate to it not being pop music? I would make the argument that after Waters left, the band now still referring to themselves as Pink Floyd but lacking the main songwriting force behind the band needed to make a record that would do something different yet similar enough so the old fans would still enjoy it and not call it a rip-off but something new enough to bring in new listeners. The result is a pop/arena rock album/mess and just because the musicians on it are prog musicians does not make it anything more than a pop rock song. Ever heard of Asia? As a matter of fact, why stop at Learning to Fly? That whole album is pop music save for maybe Sorrow. MLOR was made to be poppy, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that but I'm honestly just surprised to see more votes going to "not pop" as that just doesn't make any sense. 

edit - not to mention Pink Floyd is consistently referred to as "pop/rock", and had been since even the Syd era, so I'm not sure why that would change when discussing their most pop record. 

...So what makes a pop song then?? And why is Sorrow not a pop song

I'd love to hear why you think it isn't pop, as I feel I have already explained why it is and all you've said is "its floyd how can that be pop????".
 That whole album was made with the intention of re-making Floyd's sound to fit with the more pop-oriented arena rock sound of the 80's that bands like Yes and Asia were doing at the exact same time. Is Owner of a lonely heart not pop because Yes made prog in the past? They did that to be more popular and sell more copies of their new record to new audiences, hence the musical term "pop". I only mentioned Sorrow because I think its the best attempt at what they were going for on that album, combining older songwriting ideas and mixing it with a fresh pop/rock outlook. That's exactly what Sorrow is, the intro sounds like 80's Shine on and it is an 8 minute rocker that mainly consists of soloing, most of which sounds like any arena rock guitarist from that era could have played it. Kinda reminds me of a Camel song, maybe Ice? Not that it's not pop, I called that entire album pop multiple times. I would however consider it the least pop song out of the longer tracks on that record, or in the very least it is the only song on that record that actually achieves something for me. Can we get back to your opinion though? I'd love to hear why you don't consider Learning to Fly to be pop. 
The most dangerous man in America.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:08
don`t care 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

And nobody outside PA & PE remembers Emerson, Lake & Powell's "Learning to Fly"!

Infinitely better track. I don't really like that album much but that track is a killer. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Infinitely better track. I don't really like that album much but that track is a killer.

I like it a lot, too!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:50
I don't think it is, and I don't care if it is. I enjoy it very much.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 18:10
It was radio friendly, that's for sure.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 22:06
Don't really care. It isn't one of my favorites, but I like it. If it is indeed pop... wow. I wish we would have more pop like that.

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Many dweebs in PE think so. But that's PE for ya.

Please forgive my ignorance. What the hell is PE? In my native Spanish we are not very into using acronyms Sleepy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 00:37

I'm sorry, but how does it being a Pink Floyd song immediately translate to it not being pop music? I would make the argument that after Waters left, the band now still referring to themselves as Pink Floyd but lacking the main songwriting force behind the band needed to make a record that would do something different yet similar enough so the old fans would still enjoy it and not call it a rip-off but something new enough to bring in new listeners. The result is a pop/arena rock album/mess and just because the musicians on it are prog musicians does not make it anything more than a pop rock song. Ever heard of Asia? As a matter of fact, why stop at Learning to Fly? That whole album is pop music save for maybe Sorrow. MLOR was made to be poppy, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that but I'm honestly just surprised to see more votes going to "not pop" as that just doesn't make any sense. 

edit - not to mention Pink Floyd is consistently referred to as "pop/rock", and had been since even the Syd era, so I'm not sure why that would change when discussing their most pop record. 

I'd love to hear why you think it isn't pop, as I feel I have already explained why it is and all you've said is "its floyd how can that be pop????".
 That whole album was made with the intention of re-making Floyd's sound to fit with the more pop-oriented arena rock sound of the 80's that bands like Yes and Asia were doing at the exact same time. Is Owner of a lonely heart not pop because Yes made prog in the past? They did that to be more popular and sell more copies of their new record to new audiences, hence the musical term "pop". I only mentioned Sorrow because I think its the best attempt at what they were going for on that album, combining older songwriting ideas and mixing it with a fresh pop/rock outlook. That's exactly what Sorrow is, the intro sounds like 80's Shine on and it is an 8 minute rocker that mainly consists of soloing, most of which sounds like any arena rock guitarist from that era could have played it. Kinda reminds me of a Camel song, maybe Ice? Not that it's not pop, I called that entire album pop multiple times. I would however consider it the least pop song out of the longer tracks on that record, or in the very least it is the only song on that record that actually achieves something for me. Can we get back to your opinion though? I'd love to hear why you don't consider Learning to Fly to be pop. 
and I already posted why its not a pop song......As I said in the vein of pop like The Cars, INXS, U2 or Celine Dion its not pop music. The OP did not ask if it is POP ROCK.
All bands want to be popular and sell records, name me one band that did not want this to happen? So you would call Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, Enter Sandman, Carry On Wayward Son.....all pop music? And also because DSOtM has spent over 900 weeks on the Billboard 200 and one of the biggest selling albums world-wide, its pop??

.....OK Confused you win!! LOLLOL
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:35
It's just another post Waters PF song, from what was a relatively boring manifestation of the band IMO. I quite like the song. I've no problem with it, but as to whether or not it's pop, I have no idea. It's just late era Pink Floyd. Who cares?

I guess by definition, it's 'popular music' as it's non classical, but I guess the question is, is it in the same category as Michael Jackson or Madonna? I guess not. It's kind of radio friendly soft rock, with some gentle proggy nods. The kind of thing Alan Partridge might listen to in his car while 'driving home for Christmas' if feeling in a slightly thoughtful or rebellious mood. Most folk, outside the UK, may not know what I'm talking about.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's just another post Waters PF song, from what was a relatively boring manifestation of the band IMO. I quite like the song. I've no problem with it, but as to whether or not it's pop, I have no idea. It's just late era Pink Floyd. Who cares?

I guess by definition, it's 'popular music' as it's non classical, but I guess the question is, is it in the same category as Michael Jackson or Madonna? I guess not. It's kind of radio friendly soft rock, with some gentle proggy nods. The kind of thing Alan Partridge might listen to in his car while 'driving home for Christmas' if feeling in a slightly thoughtful or rebellious mood. Most folk, outside the UK, may not know what I'm talking about.

It's not in the same category, because Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, Madonna is the Queen of Pop, and although you didn't mentioned them, Britney Spears is the Princess of Pop and Prince is, obviously, the Prince of Pop.

Everyone else are just Subjects of the Pop Kingdom

LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:32
In a very broad, general sense, yes, it could be deemed worthy of the charts, for better or worse. 

But for that time period, 1987, nah, it is more like a different kind of animal that used to be up there in the 80s but has disappeared.   It was called AOR. Listen to APP's Days Are Numbers and it has similar production values to Learning To Fly.  Except Days Are Numbers came a couple of years before.  For 1987, it would have to be way more synth based for me to consider it pop.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 14:35

and I already posted why its not a pop song......As I said in the vein of pop like The Cars, INXS, U2 or Celine Dion its not pop music. The OP did not ask if it is POP ROCK.
All bands want to be popular and sell records, name me one band that did not want this to happen? So you would call Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, Enter Sandman, Carry On Wayward Son.....all pop music? And also because DSOtM has spent over 900 weeks on the Billboard 200 and one of the biggest selling albums world-wide, its pop??

Yeah, I would call all that pop, including Dark Side. Just because its rock that's popular doesn't mean it isn't pop. Would you consider the Wall to not be pop, either? It spent forever on the Billboard charts as well. The Cars and U2 are both "poppy" bands that play rock music too, so why them label them pop and a band like Led Zeppelin, who probably had more chart-topping singles then both of those groups combined, not pop? OP might not have asked about pop rock but I honestly don't see a distinction between pop rock and pop because pop isn't the genre of the music, its a label that can be applied loosely to many musical acts. To say "Pink Floyd is pop" is to say "Pink Floyd made music that was popular worldwide and had a noticeable and long-lasting impact on pop culture." It is not to say, "Pink Floyd and Celine Dion make the same kind of music." And yes, if you've ever been a part of any underground music scene you'd know not every band wants to "be popular and sell records."
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 14:43

Pop isnt a genre, its a label that can be loosely applied to many musical acts. To say Floyd is pop is to say Floyd made music that sold extremely well worldwide and had a noticeable and long-lasting impact on pop culture. It is not to say Pink Floyd and Celine Dion make the same type of music. OP might not have asked about pop rock specifically but IMO he still did by asking about pop as an idea, because it's not something that stands on its own as a musical concept, it is something that is applied to actual genres of music like rock or jazz or even disco. What is your idea of pop if The Cars and U2, which both play rock music that is popular is pop but Led Zeppelin, who plays rock music that is popular, is not pop? And yes I would consider Dark Side (and practically Floyds whole discography) to be pop, for the same reasons listed above. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 17:18
I wouldn’t call Careful with that axe, Eugene ‘Pop’ music........
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 18:39

Pink Floyd is consistently referred to as "pop/rock"

Wherever I've seen the term "pop/rock" used, it is referring to all pop and all rock. Thus, it includes all Progressive Rock. It is used as a broad category of music that is distinguished from classical, country, jazz, etc.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>