Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learning To Fly: pop song or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Learning To Fly: pop song or not?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [18.75%]
13 [27.08%]
2 [4.17%]
24 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning To Fly: pop song or not?
    Posted: May 29 2020 at 17:43
Really dont care, i like it 

....and its black metal influenced by Darkthrone
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 11:40
I heard this on the radio earlier today. I was quite surprised because I don't think I've ever heard a song from "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" played on the radio, at least not for a long time. The only Pink Floyd I hear on the radio these days are: "Money", "Us And Them", "Have A Cigar", "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1)", and "Comfortably Numb".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 12:14
It's a bad song (by my favorite group)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 12:12
am radio??? who the f**k was listening to that in 70's Pedro..  other than grandma and grandpa..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah some of those were radio friendly...  much like Steely Dan.. radio friendly.. but not pop by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes even the deep, thoughtful, even complex do crossover to wide audience.  

Hi,

Not sure this is quite correct ... SD was not a "hit" in the AM radio AT ALL ... but it was played to death on FM radio because it provided an anti-dote to all the rinky-dinky music AM stations in America!

When FM radio in America started being bought by all the corporations to ensure that "individuality" did not continue, bands like SD kinda became a cult band ... it no longer was played senseless like before.

By 1982, when I left SB and went north, the only SD playing on the radio was the one big hit they had, and guess what ... it was the AM radio that played it! The irony ... is insane!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 21:05
I barely consider owner of a lonely heart a pop song and this one is less pop sounding then that so no.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 19:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Agreed, there's an artificial 'New Coke' quality to AMLoR which has not improved with age.

Of course it's a pop song.

New Coke, perfect. Sounds like PF, tastes nothing like it.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 17:28
Basically it's a pop song. Very good pop song.

But... well... here there is the crossover prog genre, and in this genre there are sophysticated pop songs.

they are not real prog.... or, ok, they are prog-pop songs if we assumed an an extensive definition of prog...

But if everything was prog, nothing would be prog.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 17:12
And of course by then vinyl was being made cheaply with thin pressings that were poorly grooved, had bad posterboard covers, and crinkly plastic sleeves.   My copy would skip for no reason and began to warp like a cheap pair of sunglasses lying in the sun.

Edited by Atavachron - May 24 2020 at 17:12
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 16:38

the one copy I ever owned of the album would have argued with you David.. it did in a vain attempt with me before it flew out the window into the middle of I-95 traffic in a Mick rage....that it ever had room for improvement.

Good thing a cop didn't see you. That would have been one expensive album for you to hate that much. LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 16:11
the one copy I ever owned of the album would have argued with you David.. it did in a vain attempt with me before it flew out the window into the middle of I-95 traffic in a Mick rage....that it ever had room for improvement.  

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 15:58
^ Agreed, there's an artificial 'New Coke' quality to AMLoR which has not improved with age.

Of course it's a pop song.

Edited by Atavachron - May 24 2020 at 15:59
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:18
where the difference is ... obviously.. is all in the motive and intent in the creation of that music

yeah some of those were radio friendly...  much like Steely Dan.. radio friendly.. but not pop by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes even the deep, thoughtful, even complex do crossover to wide audience.  The intent of those songs Doc were not merely sell a bunch of records but to create an artistic statement. .to say something.  

that album was nothing more than 2nd .. 3rd rate MTV friendly songwriting with done nothing more than cash in.. as well as flip the bird at a former member.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:08
One could make a case for many of Floyd's 'hey day' songs as being pop imho. 'Time' and 'Money' are both poppy in many ways....and were indeed pop radio staples and still are. 'Comfortably Numb' is also radio friendly...does that make it pop? So is 'Have A Cigar' for that matter.
Is Learning to Fly any more 'commercial'...not especially. 

At any rate I voted don't care......being burned out on Floyd.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 24 2020 at 11:29
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:49
wow man.. not sure what makes more giddy man.. the B- grade.. or having a post from you that actually was concsise and coherent.

so in return buddy... I'll give you an A+.  No it is not important..  

which again makes the completely inane and disposable nature of the songs and thus that album all the more glaring in comparison to the creative force they no longer had in that group. A song writer who .. excesses and mental maturbation aside.. had a vision and wrote thoughtful and deep lyrics

which of course the lack of which.. is a hallmark of pop music. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 07:47

... they actually had a member who could write songs...

Hi,

Like that has EVER been a big part and important issue with rock music!

Micky ... too much decaf coffee for you ... you post gets a B-

Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 06:30
what kind of question is that

if that aint' a pop song.. what is... what else would one call it. It and that whole sh*t stain of an album were made for one reason and one reason only (if one doesn't count the big f**k you given out to the Rog).. to pry the kiddies and old fans of their money with a MTV driven appeals to nostalgia and the band they used to be when they actually had a member who could write songs...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 03:09
Dont care. It's a post-heyday PF song. Nuff said.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 02:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

Pink Floyd is consistently referred to as "pop/rock"

Wherever I've seen the term "pop/rock" used, it is referring to all pop and all rock. Thus, it includes all Progressive Rock. It is used as a broad category of music that is distinguished from classical, country, jazz, etc.

Exactly, pop/rock is different from pop-rock the genre. But would I call Learning To Fly specifically a pop-rock song?  Yes.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 01:09
I won't lie - coffee hasn't kicked in and I legit thought this thread was "Fly by Night" by Rush, IS IT POP?

I was reading the responses, and I realized wrong song wrong band LMAO.

HAPPY SUNDAY! Wink Tongue

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>