Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How woukd you rate ItCotCK by KC?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [9.68%]
56 [90.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 00:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Historically important. A landmark album in the history of prog. 21st Century Schizoid Man and the title track are superb, the rest is fairly forgettable.

For historical importance 5 stars. For the album itself 4 stars, and it's not the greatest prog album of all time, it's not even the best King Crimson album.

yep pretty much spot on although Epitaph is very memorable as well. I suppose typical of so many great prog albums it had 3 Marquee tracks and a lot of other stuff. Perhaps Yes realised that you only ever have 3 great tracks for an album when they made CTTE Wink

What does that say about TAAB? Geek
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 01:02
Probably a top 10 album for me but I couldn't guarantee it once I actually got the list going.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 05:03

Definitely "not the best prog album ever". I wouldn't even count it among my favourites. As for preferred King Crimson album, I tend to vacillate between In The Court Of The Crimson King and Red, leaning towards In The Court Of The Crimson King at the moment.

My ranking of the individual tracks:

21st Century Schizoid Man >>...>> The Court Of The Crimson King >> Epitaph > I Talk To The Wind = Moonchild (the song part) >>...>> Moonchild (the other part).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 06:36
Was on track to being the best prog album ever but then came Moonchild. It really just about takes one full star off the album for my tastes, The song part I like a lot but then comes the noodling that seems to go far too long and ruins the flow imo. I don't believe like many do on this site that King Crimson are as great as they are made out to be I find flaws in most of their albums. I am one person that will vote against them if the question is asked, they are very overrated and much of their work is just silly nonsense that if you repeat time and time again starts to make sense in a bizarre kind of way Embarrassed

Edited by Enchant X - May 23 2020 at 06:52
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 07:36
So only I have the "noodling" part of Moonchild as my favourite part of the album?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 08:13
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

So only I have the "noodling" part of Moonchild as my favourite part of the album?

Not at all. There are scores of bewildered hippies on PA culpable of intuiting the 'Music of the Spheres' from the sound of refrigerators idling at munchie time. Some of them don't even have any hair Shocked If you enjoy more than the first two minutes of Moonchild, then kudos to you but it's a flotation tank soundtrack and they invariably bestow most benefit to those on the outside.Wink

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 23 2020 at 08:28
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 08:44

The reason I rate 21st Century Schizoid Man so highly is that it played such an important part of my musical exposure during my teenage years. If it wasn't for this song, I don't know what type of music I'd be listening to today. It was this song that made me interested in In The Court Of The Crimson King in the first place. And this album represents a turning point in my musical taste. Although it wasn't the first prog album I had gotten into, it was nevertheless a different type of music to what I was familiar with at the time. And 21st Century Schizoid Man was the gateway to this different type of music. I think In The Court Of The Crimson King prepared me for the music of Van der Graff Generator, so I don't know if I would be a fan of Van der Graff Generator if it wasn't for 21st Century Schizoid Man.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

hardly..  while I earned the most notorious imfamous PA's review ever..  Mark had the 'best' PA's review ever and he broke that song down musically and gave Moonchild its fair due as the true gem of that album.  Not that I agree with that but it is what it is. Some do see that track as the real genius of the album.

For me.. not the first.. not the best...not even KC's best album... but a good album. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:12
^ For me there is a certian meditative quality about it - especially when heard through headphones :)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Most important prog album ever but not the best though imo.

This.

Far from the best KC album, let alone best overall prog album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 12:17
I think it is the most important prog album ever.

The most important.

The best?

It's difficult to say. It is surely one of the greatest. And if I say one of the best I mean one of the album in my Top 10. Perhaps it is the most seminal and experimenta, according to the year of release.

Ok. Anyway voted it is not the best. But I mind to say it because it is very close to the best.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 19:01
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

3.5 stars. A couple of cool tracks. Fairly outdated sound and style though. Poseidon is a better effort

I feel like Poseidon is on par with Court until about halfway through The Devil's Triangle, at which point I get pretty tired of it and Court starts to seem like the more appealing listen. I do love the Peace interludes though.

Personally, I think Poseidon falls off a steep cliff right after Cadence and Cascade. The title track is just a poor mans epitaph, cat food is a bad Beatles B-side and the Devils Triangle is just a snooze fest. Just my thoughts though.

Catfood would have been one of the Beatles best songs imo. Pics of a city, Cadence, Catfood and Poseidon are strong tracks. I'd say I quite like 21st century and Court on the debut but the band have a better sound the following year. Also, the debut is smothered in Mellotron which gives it a bit of a slow, boring feel.

Edited by dr prog - May 23 2020 at 19:05
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 21:17
certainly one of the most important, and an influence on so many of the best prog albums which followed.  I didn't vote because the response required is too absolute
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 23:50
Not even King Crimson's best album. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 07:54
Hi,

I won't rate an album as a prog album or not. I find it silly and not important in the discussion and value of the work at hand.

The main thing, which a lot of listeners do not understand, is that this particular album is BY FAR the best screen shot that you will EVER GET about that time and place and how crazy, weird, confusing it really was ... and the dope only made it all worse afterwards!

The value of its two best known pieces of music in that album, are by very far, two of the most important "anthems" of a time and place ... and then having a piece about talking in the wind and (of course) no one listens anyway ... specially in the more recent times, when "reading", "understanding" and "value" has been compromised and usurped by commercial concerns ... and the public continues what was described then, in many places, not only Germany, as "dance of the lemmings" because everyone was going to see the shows just for the dope and a lot less for the music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 08:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I won't rate an album as a prog album or not. I find it silly and not important in the discussion and value of the work at hand.

The main thing, which a lot of listeners do not understand, is that this particular album is BY FAR the best screen shot that you will EVER GET about that time and place and how crazy, weird, confusing it really was ... and the dope only made it all worse afterwards!

The value of its two best known pieces of music in that album, are by very far, two of the most important "anthems" of a time and place ... and then having a piece about talking in the wind and (of course) no one listens anyway ... specially in the more recent times, when "reading", "understanding" and "value" has been compromised and usurped by commercial concerns ... and the public continues what was described then, in many places, not only Germany, as "dance of the lemmings" because everyone was going to see the shows just for the dope and a lot less for the music!

You watch your mouth with the lemming analogy gramps  Stern Smile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:34
^ Mosh has broken the record for being a broken record.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:45
Just in case it’s not clear to everyone, Tanz der Lemminge [Aka: Dance of the Lemmings] is an album by the Krautrock band AMON DÜÜL II.

Edited by Logan - May 24 2020 at 09:48
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ Mosh has broken the record for being a broken record.

yeah.. and that was my record he broke. Angry

at least no one will ever top .. or ever approach...my other cheerished forum records.  I'm not sure which I'm more proud of.....

deleted and hidden posts or numbers of PM's from the admin team telling to knock it off or get banned. pfff... 

I ignored all of them.. which only added to the first record...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:53
Voted best,  but that was to placate Steve,,,I think he might know where I live.  Wink

Seriously....I don't think there is a 'best prog album'.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>