Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: How woukd you rate ItCotCK by KC?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [9.68%]
56 [90.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?
    Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:00

Sorry, only two choices.

Edited by SteveG - May 22 2020 at 06:16
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:04
Don’t you guys get tired of talking about the same 10 albums by the same 6 bands?

The album is 50 years old and has been discussed to death, there’s nothing new to say about it.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 22 2020 at 06:05
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:04
well, I don't know. 
There is no such thing as the best album ever, so you'd think I'd pick that second option, but no. So I don't know. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:07
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Don’t you guys get tired of talking about the same 10 albums by the same 6 bands?

The album is 50 years old and has been discussed to death, there’s nothing new to say about it.
Stop bitching and vote.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:11
The best prog album ever by approximation. Besides the quality of the songwriting, it has attracted so many bands and listeners to genre.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

well, I don't know. 
There is no such thing as the best album ever, so you'd think I'd pick that second option, but no. So I don't know. 
Ok, I'll put in two more options to help you out.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:13
Certainly in the top 25, a landmark album that may be the first full formed prog album, if nothing else it got Yes to up their game. But no not the best ever.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:15
no, prog didn’t peak 50 years ago. This is like going on an art forum and posting “is the Mona Lisa the greatest painting of all time.”

Here’s an idea for a thread, do an album of the week and chose generally lesser known albums. Every Sunday make a new post for it and have it stickied. Throughout the week members can listen and discus their thoughts and impressions on said album. Possibly only choose albums under a certain rating threshold etc, would be an infinitely more interesting discussion.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 22 2020 at 06:16
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:17

no, prog didn’t peak 50 years ago. This is like going on an art forum and posting “is the Mona Lisa the greatest painting of all time.”

Here’s an idea for a thread, do an album of the week and chose generally lesser known albums. Every Sunday make a new post for it and have it stickied. Throughout the week members can listen and discus their thoughts and impressions on said album. Possibly only choose albums under a certain rating threshold etc, would be an infinitely more interesting discussion.
Why don't you go off and do that now. We'll be waiting for your posts. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:19

that's actually a good idea, why don't you do it? 

Edited by Cristi - May 22 2020 at 06:19
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:25
Even if I did believe that there was such a thing as the best prog album ever, I would vote for "Not the best prog album ever", unless of course I believed that there was a best prog album ever and that best prog album ever is ItCotCK by KC. As it is I don't believe that there is such a thing and vote "Not the best prog album ever".

I certainly do believe that it's one of the most significant albums in Prog and would not put any album over it in terms of its significance to Prog.

Edited by Logan - May 22 2020 at 06:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:27
^ I don’t know if I trust myself to be able to consistently make posts like that for a while^ but I’m sure someone here could. Many people here also have much more musical knowledge than I do so I probably wouldn’t be the best at picking albums, unless we stuck to a 100< ratings rule or something. I think threads like this are predictable, most comments will say something along the lines of “Court is one of the best and most important prog albums ever but I don’t think it’s the best”
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 07:54
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

The best prog album ever by approximation. Besides the quality of the songwriting, it has attracted so many bands and listeners to genre.

That'll do me.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 07:58
I would call it essential. A 4-star rating would do this album justice. It is by no means a masterpiece (though the first and the last track may qualify as masterpiece content), but the historic significance is undoubtedly there.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:04
I've listened to and reviewed hundreds of prog albums that are "the best album ever", and In the Court of the Crimson King is just one of many albums that I'd give a five star rating to, although I wouldn't give five stars to any other King Crimson album, as their debut album is their best by far in my opinion. Smile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:43
I've said it before, I don't love Court. Schizoid Man is great but for me the rest of the album is just OK. That being said  I understand it's very significant prog rock album, just not one of my favorites.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:51
It was probably the best for 1969, but not the best ever. Great album though. I do get more out of Poseidon than Court these days.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 22 2020 at 08:54
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:51
I wouldn't call it the best prog album ever made, but it's a great album, no doubt about that (perhaps with "Epitaph" as the weakest track). My favourite parts are probably "I Talk to the Wind" and the "Illusion" section of "Moonchild".
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:15
My simple test for "is it the best album ever?".
Q "Is it called Music Inspired by The Snow Goose"
A "Yes" - then it is.
A "No" - then it isn't.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Why don't you go off and do that now. We'll be waiting for your posts. Smile
The problem with this is the response would be minimal. Maybe post only a song instead of the entire album?

The fact is...most of the current forum members want to discuss the same album forever. Maybe in 50 years that will change?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>