2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:10
First husband made a banjo sound like a saz until he could get his hands on one of the real ones.  LOL
Banjos and hurdy-gurdys, neither one needs electricity to sound electric.  I would have picked a viola if not the harp to play....I also have a bowed psaltery to compensate.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My 3 votes.....
Comsat Angels
(...)

Ay! Wouldn't have thought that's your cup of tea, but here we go! Big smile
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:17
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

[

Thank you!  Being a harp player, I do know a lot of unusual harpers

Did you know this one? To understand the humour here, you need to know about djent music. I hate that crap, and want it out of progressive metal more than anything else; it is my biggest wish regarding music. Djent guitarists generally use many-stringed electric guitars. 8-strings is quite common, for instance.

I think the video is hilarious and the harp player plays a cool tune, haha.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:24
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My 3 votes.....
Comsat Angels
(...)

Ay! Wouldn't have thought that's your cup of tea, but here we go! Big smile
I have a variety of tea in my cupboard. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:24
Tania Maria
Keldian
New York Stories
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:42
Some Ten Years After....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:53
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Did you know this one? To understand the humour here, you need to know about djent music. I hate that crap, and want it out of progressive metal more than anything else; it is my biggest wish regarding music. Djent guitarists generally use many-stringed electric guitars. 8-strings is quite common, for instance.

Will check it out in a bit, thanks!  
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 18:10
Ok, guys, here my first impressions:

1) Tania Maria – Bluesilian: pleasent latin-soul-popsong, very relaxed. It won't be in my top 3.

2) Stan Ridgway – Drive, She Said very good neurotic rock song. It could aspire to enter my top 3.

3) Planxty – The Well Below The Valley: very Irish, very folk. I like that sound but this song would need a variation. It could hardly fit in my top 3.

4) Seckou Keita – Rewmi live : very tribal song. Interesting musical arrangements. I would say tribal-rock / fusion. Could It enter my top 3? Hmmmmm We will see.

5) Keldian – The Last Frontier. MELODIC METAL-POP SONG. Creative but it won't be in my top 3.

6) Comsat Angels – Our Secrets . Very good atmosphere and very good sound, THERE IS ONLY A CHANGE, A SINGLE, OR A FINAL GROWING TO BE EXCELLENT. It could aspire to enter my top 3

7) The Black Satans – The Satans of: oh My God... O Mama help me, cover me from the Devil... it is definitely not to my taste. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of some naked woman in the woods: it was the only way to let me stand the music, and instead only ugly men....

8) Adrian Enescu – Highway. Synth-pop? Electronic sound. Interesting. It is not clear whether it is relaxing or neurotic. It could be fine as a movie soundtrack. Is it fit for my top 3? It's hard.

It's all for now. I go to sleep.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 30 2020 at 18:11
"Happiness is real only when shared"
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:22

[

Thank you!  Being a harp player, I do know a lot of unusual harpers

Cool. I've seen his Banjo Metal and Sitar Metal. He definitely has a thing going.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:24

Great variety! Lots of new to me in this one. I only recall hearing the Stan Ridgway and Big Head Todd tracks before. And not a bad song among all the suggestions.

So, I listened to first twelve first and had settled on these three: Stan Ridgway, Seckou Keita, and  Adrian Enescu.

Then came the last four and two of those stood out for me: New York Stories and Enter the Haggis.

So, now had to choose three from five.

Ridgway I know and really like, but because I have heard it before, I knocked him out. Down to four, and went through them again. Settled on:

Enter the Haggis: Bagpipes win out! I am a sucker for bagpipes. (And recommended if you like to rock out to bagpipes is the “Shipping Up to Boston/Enter Sandman” cover by Goddesses of Bagpipe with The Snake Charmer. Video below.)

Adrian Enescu: So 80’s. Evoked soundtracks of that time.

Seckou Keita: It just put me in a good vibe. Definitely hypnotic. I had never seen/heard a kora before.

PS: The Black Satans are hilarious. I laughed out loud. My favorite video. I watched that over again even though they didn’t make my top 3.

So, bonus vids.

Goddesses of Bagpipes with the Snake Charmer:

And, Beavis and Butthead would have been overloaded if I had posted this Thunderpussy video instead:

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:31
I wasn't sure how many here would be familiar with Big Head Todd & the Monsters.  I should have picked one of their tracks that wasn't so well known I suppose as that track is a bit opposite from what they normally do, but I'll do a lesser known act next time.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:43
We used to carry them on our buses, and we were living in the Denver area when they were big.  Great band and I loved their version of that song!  BUT was trying to stick to things I hadn't heard before when deciding on the runners-up.  I did go with something I had heard before, but only because it always affects me the same way and I hadn't heard it in ages.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:48
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Great variety! Lots of new to me in this one. I only recall hearing the Stan Ridgway and Big Head Todd tracks before. And not a bad song among all the suggestions.

So, I listened to first twelve first and had settled on these three: Stan Ridgway, Seckou Keita, and  Adrian Enescu.

Then came the last four and two of those stood out for me: New York Stories and Enter the Haggis.

So, now had to choose three from five.

Ridgway I know and really like, but because I have heard it before, I knocked him out. Down to four, and went through them again. Settled on:

Enter the Haggis: Bagpipes win out! I am a sucker for bagpipes. (And recommended if you like to rock out to bagpipes is the “Shipping Up to Boston/Enter Sandman” cover by Goddesses of Bagpipe with The Snake Charmer. Video below.)

Adrian Enescu: So 80’s. Evoked soundtracks of that time.

Seckou Keita: It just put me in a good vibe. Definitely hypnotic. I had never seen/heard a kora before.

PS: The Black Satans are hilarious. I laughed out loud. My favorite video. I watched that over again even though they didn’t make my top 3.

Absolutely will have to check out those goddesses, looks like so much fun!  And I did find the Black Satans hilarious, too.  Glad you enjoyed Seckou, as I advised others who liked him, check out his other live videos in collaboration with others, different genres and combinations.  Just fascinating.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 21:00

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Absolutely will have to check out those goddesses, looks like so much fun!  And I did find the Black Satans hilarious, too.  Glad you enjoyed Seckou, as I advised others who liked him, check out his other live videos in collaboration with others, different genres and combinations.  Just fascinating.

Oh, that was great fun!  Thank you!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 21:04

That was also a LOT of fun!  Thanks!  Clap
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 02:21
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

8) Adrian Enescu – Highway. Synth-pop? Electronic sound. Interesting. It is not clear whether it is relaxing or neurotic. It could be fine as a movie soundtrack. Is it fit for my top 3? It's hard.

I love it how you described the song. And yes, it is from a movie soundtrack. Not a good movie, but I love this song. 

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 05:17
Thunder Pussy - Velvet Noose. Excellent rock song, great performance. It could aspire to enter my top 3.

Bootsy Collins - What; is the Name of this Town: sophysticated funky fusion. I appreciate it but it is not a genre I enjoy.

Enter the Haggis -Lancaster ... Interesting commercial and electric folk song near to prog... Hmmm maybe, maybe...

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 31 2020 at 05:48
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 09:01

We used to carry them on our buses, and we were living in the Denver area when they were big.  Great band and I loved their version of that song!  BUT was trying to stick to things I hadn't heard before when deciding on the runners-up.  I did go with something I had heard before, but only because it always affects me the same way and I hadn't heard it in ages.

I usually try to vote for bands or songs I haven't heard before too, but that doesn't completely rule them out.  The one I'm going to pick next is an odd one, but performed by a fairly well known band, and track that I am sure not many have heard.  I'm interested to see what everyone thinks of it.

In the meantime, here is another song from Big Head Todd and the Monsters that more closely resembles their style for those that are interested. 

Edited by TCat - May 31 2020 at 09:03

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 10:15
getting back to the listening.. haven't voted yet. I had found 2 right off the bat.. now looking for the third..

and.. hmmm.. yeah man. Another reason I love these polls and what you all are doing with them. It is the gift that keeps on giving .. and almost as fun to catch. CoolBeer 

All the follow up vids/songs to check out.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 10:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

This was very tough.  I think it all would depend on the mood I'm in.  But as for today.  Mickey, I loved your Tania Maria selection.  Her vocals and piano would melt glass.  

yeah I absolutely love her voice and she is no slouch on the keys either.  Here was my favorite from the album.. for the poll I went with the one that got me introduced to her, and this album, but this was the one that solidified my love of the album

Ok I am sold Micky.  I gotta get me some more of that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>