Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most financially successful prog artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 14:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Vangelis $2.5 mill

I thought for certain he was worth more.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 14:19
Ian Anderson is probably one of the most savvy businessmen in rock...

"72-year-old Ian Anderson has taken the No. 1 spot on People With Money’s top 10 highest-paid singers for 2020 with an estimated $58 million in combined earnings....The Scottish singer-songwriter has an estimated net worth of $185 million."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:23
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've looked at these figures before just for curiosity sake, just Googled again.
Net Worth:
Roger Waters = $310 Million (why on earth is he bitchin' so much!!!)
Phil Collins = $260 Million
David Gilmour = $175 Million
Peter Gabriel = $90 Million
Neil Peart = $42 Million
Geddy Lee = $40 Million
Alex Lifeson = $35 Million
Robert Fripp = $10 Million

I'm sure these figures are estimates, but even if off by 5% is a lot of moolah.

I assumed Rush was worth upwards of 100 million altogether, and I was right. Touring, licensing, book deals, investments...surprised it's not more!
Well I have been a follower of their wealth for several years......Main reason is most of their time playing was in the 70 to mid 90s then of course the 5yr break. So the first 10yrs really was tour, tour, tour and really not a lot of money back then.
I am sure they are pretty happy now....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

And it all depends on the business acumen of the individual, quite a few have been fleeced methinks...Collins by beautiful trophy wives especially...😎

Indeed!  I once read that Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was quite wealthy from the way he managed the band....band members were not share-holders, but were paid salaries, and he kept the lion's share of income. 

I hadn't even thought of Phil Collins, but indeed, he must have made a pile (pre-divorce anyway!).  

Bob Fripp's net worth certainly went up when he married Toyah!  LOL

Some, like ELP, made and then lost vast fortunes, very sad for them.  I doubt if anyone besides Waters got rich from PF, but I wouldn't know.  

Some prog-related did well....I suppose that Brian May has a chunk of cash, especially from the recent movie and interest in Queen's old catalog.  David Bowie might have been sitting on a bit of dough as well.  

Rick Wakeman?  Not sure about him, he wouldn't tell me when I asked. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 18:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

"72-year-old Ian Anderson has taken the No. 1 spot on People With Money’s top 10 highest-paid singers for 2020 with an estimated $58 million in combined earnings....The Scottish singer-songwriter has an estimated net worth of $185 million."

I'd believe that. He's worth an absolute fortune. I wouldn't believe all those other $ guesses put forward above for other prog artists. You can't believe everything you Google...in fact these days you can't believe anything that you Google!

Edited by BarryGlibb - May 30 2020 at 18:20
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:06
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

And it all depends on the business acumen of the individual, quite a few have been fleeced methinks...Collins by beautiful trophy wives especially...😎

Indeed!  I once read that Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was quite wealthy from the way he managed the band....band members were not share-holders, but were paid salaries, and he kept the lion's share of income. 

I hadn't even thought of Phil Collins, but indeed, he must have made a pile (pre-divorce anyway!).  

Bob Fripp's net worth certainly went up when he married Toyah!  LOL

Some, like ELP, made and then lost vast fortunes, very sad for them.  I doubt if anyone besides Waters got rich from PF, but I wouldn't know.  

Some prog-related did well....I suppose that Brian May has a chunk of cash, especially from the recent movie and interest in Queen's old catalog.  David Bowie might have been sitting on a bit of dough as well.  

Rick Wakeman?  Not sure about him, he wouldn't tell me when I asked. 

You really thought Rick would tell you how much money he has(or how much he's worth)? Maybe it's just me but I would never ask someone that(rock star or not). I might ask a family member or close friend but even then probably not. Most people will not disclose that information. Obviously we can find out online(and it's really just an estimate anyway)but most people will not voluntarily discuss it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 30 2020 at 19:07
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 23:45
^ the fact that Wakeman released > 50 borderline new age pap albums from the 80's onwards might indicate he was on the bones of his arse cash-wise (cleaned out by several divorce settlements? Keith Emerson lost most of his retirement nest egg this way) This is pure speculation on my part of course Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 07:02
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ the fact that Wakeman released > 50 borderline new age pap albums from the 80's onwards might indicate he was on the bones of his arse cash-wise (cleaned out by several divorce settlements? Keith Emerson lost most of his retirement nest egg this way) This is pure speculation on my part of course Smile
Hi,

History of arts has more of them that lost a whole lot of everything, up to and not just including their wives and their money ... some even lost their minds!

And one of them had written a symphony for his wife ... and she walks out even before she hears a few notes and finds out what he had put together ... its in a Ken Russell movie, a bit romanticized, but quite clear and pretty much the same thing that hurts the lives of many artists ... you live for your ART ... and sadly, many of their partners couldn't careless about their art ... unless it was to cash in on their "hardships", of course!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 09:28

His wife handles the finances. No trophy wife there, he married well indeed. LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 21:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

All the more reason not to press the guy about his finances! Tongue
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 22:22
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

<span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">"72-year-old </span>Ian Anderson<span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"> has taken the No. 1 spot on </span><i style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">People With Money<span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">’s top 10 highest-paid singers for 2020 with an estimated $58 million in combined earnings....</span><span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">The Scottish singer-songwriter has an estimated net worth of $185 million."</span>

I'd believe that. He's worth an absolute fortune. I wouldn't believe all those other $ guesses put forward above for other prog artists. You can't believe everything you Google...in fact these days you can't believe anything that you Google!

Yeah, without doing research, Ian Anderson would be my guess:
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 06:04
Just looked them up liven 10m and walsh 16m. The main Styx boys are considerably richer- Dennis de young 25m, James young 20m and Tommy shaw 18m.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 06:14
Phil Collins is second at 260 million? I guess one has to be well paid in order to ruin prog. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 07:43
Richest prog rock stars?...what is this 'Access Hollywood' or 'Entertainment Tonight'...?

LOL

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Phil Collins is second at 260 million? I guess one has to be well paid in order to ruin prog. Wink

is the Phil Collins bashing still funny? 
I don't see it...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 07:56
It's only a comment on how certain prog fans view Mr. Collins. Still.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 09:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Richest prog rock stars?...what is this 'Access Hollywood' or 'Entertainment Tonight'...?

LOL

I just wanted to start a conversation!  Some interesting banter. 

Some were dirt-poor.  John Goodsall of Brand X was playing in country-rock cover bands in MN, and his computer died, so I bought him a new laptop.  

Others seem to have abundant fortunes, like Ian Anderson. 

Certain acts haven't been named = Moody Blues, Steely Dan, Chicago.  Bands that had considerable radio airplay probably did very well. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 09:22

I guess you could say that Phil made the bulk of his money Against All Odds.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 09:26

I guess you could say that Phil made the bulk of his money Against All Odds.
Yes indeed! And he laughed all the way to the bank.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 09:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Vangelis $2.5 mill

I thought for certain he was worth more.

No kidding. One would think that all those OST's would be an endless fountain of royalties. Seems implausible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>