Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 23 2014
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 2889
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?
    Posted: July 27 2020 at 08:47
Prog Artists Who have Won A Grammy (Updated List):

Yes
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd 
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Tool
Mastodon
Muse
Radiohead
David Bowie
Traffic
Zappa
Steely Dan

(Jazz Artists With A Grammy Who Are Proggy):
Chick Corea
Al Dimeola
Pat Metheny
John McLaughlin
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Herbie Hancock
The list goes on and on...
Prog's Not Dead
Back to Top
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: February 16 2019
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 1083
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 22:57
I only know of Tull, but we all know how that ended up... 
All in all, I don't have much respect for the Grammy's. It's an awards show that appeals to a certain audience for a specific kind of music. The kind of music i'm just not really interested in.

I think recognition for people with genuine talent is deserved, I just think the type of musicians that always win at the grammy's have had more than their fair share of recognition and praise at this point. And more than musicians who (in my opinion) show far more talent.

I'm not saying there's no effort on the part of a lot of modern grammy winners, but when the same people keep winning over and over again, it gets stale and predictable.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Back to Top
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 4991
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog Artists Who Have Won A Grammy:

Yes
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd 
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Tool
Mastodon
Muse
Radiohead
David Bowie


Chicago on this list?


Why not? Anyone on this website is fairgame. I guess that means Steely Dan never won a grammy.
Two Against Nature won three in 2001 and Aja got a Hall of Fame award in 2005.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 26 2020 at 09:54
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 11650
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog Artists Who Have Won A Grammy:

Yes
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd 
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Tool
Mastodon
Muse
Radiohead
David Bowie

Chicago on this list?

Why not? Anyone on this website is fairgame. I guess that means Steely Dan never won a grammy.
Back to Top
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 30 2019
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 117
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:24
I know that Voivod won a Juno award for best metal album... when I found out they won I was so excited I spun them all day
Back to Top
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 23 2014
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 2889
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 08:23
You have heard their first seven LP's, right? But I hear you...

Should have included Zappa though.
Prog's Not Dead
Back to Top
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 23 2014
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 2889
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 08:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Interesting. I wonder if any punk bands have won a Grammy? Ermm

It's a short list:

Ramones
Green Day 
Nirvana
Prog's Not Dead
Back to Top
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: December 23 2009
Location: Emerald City
Status: Offline
Points: 15692
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog Artists Who Have Won A Grammy:

Yes
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd 
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Tool
Mastodon
Muse
Radiohead
David Bowie

Chicago on this list?
Back to Top
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 27 2018
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1269
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:47
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

How the fook does anybody on this site know the difference betwixt Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton and Shenia godawful Twain? It all would sound the same to me...pointless romantic dross from the sewage farm of brainless twoddle....


In some places I’ve been, there were 2 types of music available ... country and western. And, there were 2 speeds on the John Deere ... slow and slower. It seems lost on some, though, on just how much country artists like Chet Atkins and Les Paul influenced people like Steve Howe. You can clearly hear those influences in many early Yes albums. You may not appreciate it, but the fact remains - if there had been no country music, there would have been no Prog. https://youtu.be/LZz9UFqNPxk

Edited by Jaketejas - June 06 2020 at 14:28
Back to Top
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 09 2006
Location: Swinton M27
Status: Offline
Points: 3136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:40
How the fook does anybody on this site know the difference betwixt Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton and Shenia godawful Twain? It all would sound the same to me...pointless romantic dross from the sewage farm of brainless twoddle....
Back to Top
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 27 2018
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1269
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

 
Well, one doesn't have to be judging e.g. Asia against the context of early 70's prog to find it wanting. I judge the first Asia album in the context of the mainstream rock and pop that was coming out at the same time, because that to my mind is what it basically is. In that light it comes across to me personally as a stale and tired assemblage of musical and lyrical clichés. The fact that some of the clichés are drawn from the prog idiom isn't really the basic problem, which to my mind is a lack of fresh ideas and approaches.


Yeah, and like I said, it's not that there was no 'gateway prog' in the 80s either.  Rush's albums are as accessible as Asia's but they remain progressive in the way they explore different musical ideas where Asia at best comes across as a somewhat sophisticated way of writing AOR. The first Iron Maiden album or Seventh Son later on would probably serve the purpose of introducing someone to 'progressive' ideas equally well or better than Asia, likewise Metallica from RTL to AJFA.  And you could then introduce such a person to Marillion's Script for A Jester's Tears to give them an idea of what Genesis updated for the 80s would sound like.


I love your point about Iron Maiden as possibly being Gateway Prog for Prog Metal. They were a tremendous influence, especially in my current locality, which has a heavy metal fan base tradition.   However, I wouldn’t compare Asia, which is more Prog Pop Rock with Rush, which was more Prog Hard Rock at the time (although they changed their sound somewhat by album grouping, which either was embraced by the fans, or riled them up). I might compare Asia with Saga, for example.
Back to Top
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 09 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:53
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Maybe for those who got into prog a bit later but in the 70's ELP, Yes and PF in particular were about as big as anyone else at the time. Genesis didn't become very big until later when they become more poppy but they were a gateway for some too(even when they were still prog).


Precisely my point. The early bands established the core Prog sound. Then, generally speaking, Prog became more incorporated into the radio friendly shorter rock and pop format to varying degrees, which defined late 70s, early 80s Prog. Afterwards, there was a shift to a heavier sound throughout the mid to late 80s and beyond. Obviously, there are exceptions. I think each period has its merits, but that bands should be categorized in accordance with their historical timeframe. It is true with other genres as well. Taylor Swift is different from Shania Twain, who is different from Dolly Parton. Does the Country crowd keep Dolly and throw out the others for incorporating too many pop/rock elements. No. One appreciates and compares within the artists’ timeframe. I don’t see the appropriateness of rating Asia with the same criteria as early Yes, claiming that early Yes is one value (obviously on a high pedestal here) while Asia has some dopey low rating. I honestly don’t get it. I appreciate each version of Prog within its respective timeframe, as well as those versions that don’t quite fit the mold. I wear different hats, so to speak, when I am listening to different sub genres within different historical contexts. Not everything has to be compared to Close to the Edge. Good grief!

Excellent observation. I agree with you 100%



Edited by Manuel - June 06 2020 at 06:54
Back to Top
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin

Joined: January 22 2009
Location: Magic Theatre
Status: Offline
Points: 22827
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 03:46
Grammys, Oscars, Golden Bears, Silver Scissors etc etc interest me about as much as tiny chihuahua outfits and chimney soot.
Uninteresting prizes awarded to uninteresting “artists” by equally uninteresting personas...of course judged and heralded by uninteresting crowds of people without any form of flavour to them.

But yeah...always nice to get nominated!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer


Joined: September 03 2006
Location: .
Status: Offline
Points: 9799
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

 
Well, one doesn't have to be judging e.g. Asia against the context of early 70's prog to find it wanting. I judge the first Asia album in the context of the mainstream rock and pop that was coming out at the same time, because that to my mind is what it basically is. In that light it comes across to me personally as a stale and tired assemblage of musical and lyrical clichés. The fact that some of the clichés are drawn from the prog idiom isn't really the basic problem, which to my mind is a lack of fresh ideas and approaches.

Yeah, and like I said, it's not that there was no 'gateway prog' in the 80s either.  Rush's albums are as accessible as Asia's but they remain progressive in the way they explore different musical ideas where Asia at best comes across as a somewhat sophisticated way of writing AOR. The first Iron Maiden album or Seventh Son later on would probably serve the purpose of introducing someone to 'progressive' ideas equally well or better than Asia, likewise Metallica from RTL to AJFA.  And you could then introduce such a person to Marillion's Script for A Jester's Tears to give them an idea of what Genesis updated for the 80s would sound like.
Back to Top
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 4991
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 02:05
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Maybe for those who got into prog a bit later but in the 70's ELP, Yes and PF in particular were about as big as anyone else at the time. Genesis didn't become very big until later when they become more poppy but they were a gateway for some too(even when they were still prog).


Precisely my point. The early bands established the core Prog sound. Then, generally speaking, Prog became more incorporated into the radio friendly shorter rock and pop format to varying degrees, which defined late 70s, early 80s Prog. Afterwards, there was a shift to a heavier sound throughout the mid to late 80s and beyond. Obviously, there are exceptions. I think each period has its merits, but that bands should be categorized in accordance with their historical timeframe. It is true with other genres as well. Taylor Swift is different from Shania Twain, who is different from Dolly Parton. Does the Country crowd keep Dolly and throw out the others for incorporating too many pop/rock elements. No. One appreciates and compares within the artists’ timeframe. I don’t see the appropriateness of rating Asia with the same criteria as early Yes, claiming that early Yes is one value (obviously on a high pedestal here) while Asia has some dopey low rating. I honestly don’t get it. I appreciate each version of Prog within its respective timeframe, as well as those versions that don’t quite fit the mold. I wear different hats, so to speak, when I am listening to different sub genres within different historical contexts. Not everything has to be compared to Close to the Edge. Good grief!
Well, one doesn't have to be judging e.g. Asia against the context of early 70's prog to find it wanting. I judge the first Asia album in the context of the mainstream rock and pop that was coming out at the same time, because that to my mind is what it basically is. In that light it comes across to me personally as a stale and tired assemblage of musical and lyrical clichés. The fact that some of the clichés are drawn from the prog idiom isn't really the basic problem, which to my mind is a lack of fresh ideas and approaches.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 06 2020 at 02:06
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Back to Top
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 27 2018
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1269
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 22:44
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Maybe for those who got into prog a bit later but in the 70's ELP, Yes and PF in particular were about as big as anyone else at the time. Genesis didn't become very big until later when they become more poppy but they were a gateway for some too(even when they were still prog).


Precisely my point. The early bands established the core Prog sound. Then, generally speaking, Prog became more incorporated into the radio friendly shorter rock and pop format to varying degrees, which defined late 70s, early 80s Prog. Afterwards, there was a shift to a heavier sound throughout the mid to late 80s and beyond. Obviously, there are exceptions. I think each period has its merits, but that bands should be categorized in accordance with their historical timeframe. It is true with other genres as well. Taylor Swift is different from Shania Twain, who is different from Dolly Parton. Does the Country crowd keep Dolly and throw out the others for incorporating too many pop/rock elements. No. One appreciates and compares within the artists’ timeframe. I don’t see the appropriateness of rating Asia with the same criteria as early Yes, claiming that early Yes is one value (obviously on a high pedestal here) while Asia has some dopey low rating. I honestly don’t get it. I appreciate each version of Prog within its respective timeframe, as well as those versions that don’t quite fit the mold. I wear different hats, so to speak, when I am listening to different sub genres within different historical contexts. Not everything has to be compared to Close to the Edge. Good grief!
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 11650
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 18:27
^Maybe for those who got into prog a bit later but in the 70's ELP, Yes and PF in particular were about as big as anyone else at the time. Genesis didn't become very big until later when they become more poppy but they were a gateway for some too(even when they were still prog).
Back to Top
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 27 2018
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1269
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think there's a tendency for some people to say that the albums they like are prog even if they aren't.  The problem with saying certain albums are prog just because they have some prog elements is that it leads to calling any album with certain characteristics belonging to that genre. So if Asia is prog just because it's proggy then all albums are prog just because they are proggy. And also all albums are jazz just because they have some jazz elements, all albums are techno if they have some techno elements, all albums are classical just because they have some classical elements and so on. No one would call "days of future past" by the moody blues a classical album would they? I didn't think so. I get that ultimately it's up to the individual to decide for themselves but something can have elements or aspects of something else and not be a full blown example of it and that's ok. A band doesn't get more points just because they are prog. That by itself doesn't make the music better or more "special."

I think a more deserving title might be "Gateway Prog".  If you look at the list of people's albums of how they got into prog in the first place, much of what they indicate is nowhere even remotely close to the Big 6, let alone the more obscure of bands.  Probably, some people would never have even heard the Big 6 if they hadn't been first introduced to bands like Styx, Led Zep, Queen and Asia.  I see some noses being turned up at the progginess of these bands, especially regarding ratings on later albums, but let's be honest.  These bands were (and still are, to some degree) instrumental in capturing the rock listener's attention.  The listener thinks - "hey, there is more going on here than what I'm used to hearing," and thus begins a path of discovery ... a bridge that leads them into prog.  I think I prefer the term "Gateway Prog" rather than "Prog Related", which carries the undertone of subpar.  If people are trying to rate the progginess of "Alpha" with that of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," I think they are somehow missing the importance and significance of these bands with respect to prog.
Back to Top
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 27 2018
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1269
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 10:20
That is why I prefer my above outlined approach. The further away from the trunk you go, the less Prog character is involved. Saying that Asia is or is not Prog lacks descriptive precision. If one could assess the numbers for different Prog characteristics keeping in mind the sensibilities of the timeframe (obviously the 80s were on a different swing of the pendulum than the 70s), then a listener might be able to more accurately assess the different proggy characteristics with better objectivity. And, they could link to relevant bands, whether PA characterizes them as Prog or not. Some suggest this be done on a song by song basis as well, but I’m not going there. I do see the point, though, because even the number one album for 80s-90s has some songs that are highly progressive (YYZ) and some that are much less so (or not, by the PA binary approach). I take your point, and I agree that there is a problem.

A Prog by degrees approach enables me, the listener, to bridge 80s KC with Talking Heads without throwing the baby (progginess) out with the bath water. KC would be closer to the trunk than Talking Heads, but the branch would be there so I have a richer musical experience. Saying Talking Heads is not Prog at all undermines the truth. They have some Prog character, but aren’t in the trunk. Their numbers for progginess would be lower than KC, but they’d be relevant.

Regarding Asia, with the approach I outline above, one could (I believe, at least to my ears) link the intro chords to "Sole Survivor" to music such as "Dodo/Lurker" by Genesis.  Is it more radio-friendly?  Yes, in line with the 80s sensibility.  It is more "prog POP ROCK" while the other is more "PROG rock".  And, to write an intro like "Don't Cry", which is very symphonic (you must admit that you wave your hands about like a conductor when you hear that) and then to be cast out of the prog rock classification just seems a bit too heavy-handed.  Once again, to me it is "prog POP ROCK" rather than "PROG rock", but that's what defined a lot of early 80s prog to me.  If you go back and look at the roots of prog, you can see that the intro to "Don't Cry" is just as bombastic (in a good way) as "The Court of the Crimson King".  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's what my "listening ears" hear.  Not all prog has to be 13/12 time signature, you know.  It could even be a medieval-inspired classical arrangement incorporating rock elements (like Broon's Bane and The Trees), at least that's what some of it used to be back in the good old days.




Edited by Jaketejas - June 03 2020 at 12:56
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 11650
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:52
I think there's a tendency for some people to say that the albums they like are prog even if they aren't.  The problem with saying certain albums are prog just because they have some prog elements is that it leads to calling any album with certain characteristics belonging to that genre. So if Asia is prog just because it's proggy then all albums are prog just because they are proggy. And also all albums are jazz just because they have some jazz elements, all albums are techno if they have some techno elements, all albums are classical just because they have some classical elements and so on. No one would call "days of future past" by the moody blues a classical album would they? I didn't think so. I get that ultimately it's up to the individual to decide for themselves but something can have elements or aspects of something else and not be a full blown example of it and that's ok. A band doesn't get more points just because they are prog. That by itself doesn't make the music better or more "special."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 03 2020 at 09:53
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.095 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.