Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?
    Posted: May 30 2020 at 06:51
Has a prog album has ever won a Grammy. You can talk about the Grammys too in this thread  
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 06:59
As far as I can remember, Jethro Tull did. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:07
Jethro Tull but also I think Frank Zappa for "Jazz from hell." Also, Yes for the track cinema. Not sure what else.
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:15
Do you think that Prog should get more representation in the Grammys. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:21
ummmm...

Radiohead's Ok Computer and Kid A
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:21
I once again am going to get off topic, but I personally am always suspicious towards those who get all the air, numerous prizes in branches of art like rock music or fiction literature. My favourite weird/horror writer Jean Ray is titled European Poe - but the only prize he has got in his life was 
Le Prix Littéraire des Bouquinistes des Quais de Paris 
he was awarded with on the sunset of his life, several years before his death. 

Gentle Giant are only finally put in the Hall Of Fame of their native provincial city of Portsmouth. Even Freddie Mercury does not have a memorial in the UK. 

Prog rock and casual life exist in the parallel rarely-colliding planes of being. 
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:21
Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

No, the grammies are a joke anyway, it's the mainstream music industry patting themselves on the back, feeling self-important. 

Just look at the case of Jethro Tull winning in 1989, for an album released in 1987, for the heavy metal category. So there goes any credibility thrown out the window. 

A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:32
Why did I ask this anyways, I know that in the grammys chose the most popular album or artist always to  wins because we cant possible hurt pop fan 573,559,702 world view on who are the best artist and make them listen to stuff that is not in their comfort zone.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No, the grammies are a joke anyway, it's the mainstream music industry patting themselves on the back, feeling self-important. 

Just look at the case of Jethro Tull winning in 1989, for an album released in 1987, for the heavy metal category. So there goes any credibility thrown out the window. 

Similarly, there's a Ukrainian rock band Okean Elzy aka OE (Ocean Of Elza, that is). Like ten or so years ago they won some Ukrainian music award in the category of best pop band, which their leader commented with an evident taken offence. 

I remember of the Oscar for best foreign movie that came to the Soviet "Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears" in times of tension over Afghanistan in the 1980s. Not that I protest against - but I'd say, there were no less than 50 Soviet movies that undeservedly never got such a recognition. There was for example a great Soviet comedy about a naive kind-hearted retired private soldier that travels all over the country in search of an ideal wife. That comedy was absolutely Italian in its spirit and was not that far from Fellini's style. But the Oscar was given as a sort of political gesture in the early 1980s... 

A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

Similarly, there's a Ukrainian rock band Okean Elzy aka OE (Ocean Of Elza, that is). Like ten or so years ago they won some Ukrainian music award in the category of best pop band, which their leader commented with an evident taken offence. 

I remember of the Oscar for best foreign movie that came to the Soviet "Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears" in times of tension over Afghanistan in the 1980s. Not that I protest against - but I'd say, there were no less than 50 Soviet movies that undeservedly never got such a recognition. There was for example a great Soviet comedy about a naive kind-hearted retired private soldier that travels all over the country in search of an ideal wife. That comedy was absolutely Italian in its spirit and was not that far from Fellini's style. But the Oscar was given as a sort of political gesture in the early 1980s... 

People just want media be severed to them and they never want to search for it 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 08:20
Most sheeples like what the man wants them to like....
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 08:26
Italian avant band C.S.I. but the band to rest after they had a No.1 Album in the Italian Charts
because they thought it was against everything they stood for.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:07
I hope not

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:22
Grace For Drowning was nominated for one
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:35
Steely Dan got the 2000 best album award for Two Against Nature.

They catch on fast, these Grammy guys.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:48
Regarding songs, I remember Andy Summers getting one for an instrumental on Zenyotta Mondatta in the early 80s. But, there is an argument as to whether it is considered Prog. There are obvious similarities in style between Fripp and Summers, and they collaborated a lot, but here, one is generally considered Prog and the other not (all things black and white, no gray area). I think it is somewhat Proggy, so that’s why I mention it (Prog by degree perspective).

Edited by Jaketejas - May 30 2020 at 09:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:55
Steven Wilson has been nominated several times (I think) but not sure he has won one. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 11:12

Spot on. And don't get me started on the Turner Prize or the Booker Prize.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 11:37

Exactly. And who cares about stupid award shows anyway?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 11:49
I think Rush won a Grammy for YYZ, let me check...

dang, it was nominated for best rock instrumental but lost to Behind My Camel by The Police....I love The Police but that doesn't make any sense, Behind My Camel is a bit of a snooze compared to YYZ.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>