Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 11:51
The grammys are just so arbitrary to me, who decides who the winners are and why should their opinion matter to me?
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:00
That’s the one and I agree.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:04
How exactly do you expect a prog album to win a Grammy when not even Pink Floyd has won one for albums like DSotM, WYWH, Animals or The Wall? The only one that was even nominated in the year it was eligible was The Wall, and that lost to Lennon's Double Fantasy. Floyd received a Grammy for the instrumental "Marooned", and 2 "Hall of Fame" awards for DSoTM in 1999 and the Wall in 2008. I guess Grammy's "Hall of Fame" awards are actually "We Admit We F*cked Up" Revisionist awards.

Yes never got a nomination in their heyday (although later songs like "Blower of a Wicked Fart" and albums like Big Generator were nominated), Genesis was never even nominated until they started playing Broadway show tunes and romantic movie melodies, and Tull was nominated once for Heavy Metal, of all things, but never for any album from the 1970s.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:13
PAT METHENY has won a bunch (20 wins, 36 niminations)--including: 
1982's Offramp
1984's First Circle
1987's Still Life (Talking)
1989's Letter from Home
1993's highly acclaimed (here on PA) Secret Story
1995's Imaginary Day, and 
2005's The Way Up.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

PAT METHENY has won a bunch (20 wins, 36 niminations)--including: 
1982's Offramp
1984's First Circle
1987's Still Life (Talking)
1989's Letter from Home
1993's highly acclaimed (here on PA) Secret Story
1995's Imaginary Day, and 
2005's The Way Up.

So, you're saying if Yes was put in the jazz category like Metheny for most of his nominations, they'd have probably won? What are the chances the Grammy voters would have even nominated any of Metheny's albums if he was considered for the rock category? I would say zero.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

How exactly do you expect a prog album to win a Grammy when not even Pink Floyd has won one for albums like DSotM, WYWH, Animals or The Wall? The only one that was even nominated in the year it was eligible was The Wall, and that lost to Lennon's Double Fantasy. Floyd received a Grammy for the instrumental "Marooned", and 2 "Hall of Fame" awards for DSoTM in 1999 and the Wall in 2008. I guess Grammy's "Hall of Fame" awards are actually "We Admit We F*cked Up" Revisionist awards.

Yes never got a nomination in their heyday (although later songs like "Blower of a Wicked Fart" and albums like Big Generator were nominated), Genesis was never even nominated until they started playing Broadway show tunes and romantic movie melodies, and Tull was nominated once for Heavy Metal, of all things, but never for any album from the 1970s.

Not only were Tull nominated but they won. That was when they beat Metallica making it the biggest upset in grammy history. 

As for Yes, "cinema" won for best instrumental I think in 1985(even though the album it is from 90125 was released in 83). I don't think they were ever even nominated for anything else though(not even BG)let alone won.

Also, do I need to reiterate my earlier statement about Frank Zappa winning for "jazz from hell?"  That was in the instrumental category which is probably most prog artists best shot at winning a grammy. The Tull thing was a fluke imo. They still aren't in the R&R HoF for crying out loud.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 30 2020 at 13:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not only were Tull nominated but they won. That was when they beat Metallica making it the biggest upset in grammy history. 

As for Yes, "cinema" won for best instrumental I think in 1985(even though the album it is from 90125 was released in 83).

Also, do I need to reiterate my earlier statement about Frank Zappa winning for "jazz from hell?"  That was in the instrumental category which is probably most prog artists best shot at winning a grammy. The Tull thing was a fluke imo. They still aren't in the R&R HoF for crying out loud.

Yeah, I know Tull won. I get it. Too bad they won for what most folks would consider their 9th or 10th best album, and an album where Ian Anderson had already lost his voice.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:57
PA lists Miles Davis and Miles Davis has won a Grammy eight (8) times.

Miles & Quincy Live at Montreux
Doo-Bop
Aura (Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Soloist)
Aura (Best Large Jazz Ensemble Performance)
Tutu
We Want Miles
Bitches Brew
Sketches of Spain 
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 13:32
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

PA lists Miles Davis and Miles Davis has won a Grammy eight (8) times.

Miles & Quincy Live at Montreux
Doo-Bop
Aura (Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Soloist)
Aura (Best Large Jazz Ensemble Performance)
Tutu
We Want Miles
Bitches Brew
Sketches of Spain 

PA does list Miles Davis. That said, only some of Miles' output is prog.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:23
There is a lot of biz politics involved with the Grammy's that have little or nothing to do with the actual music. The organization is more about rewarding album sales than musical ability or innovation, and I question the extent of what those that vote know (which means that a Prog category would be a nightmare).
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

There is a lot of biz politics involved with the Grammy's that have little or nothing to do with the actual music. The organization is more about rewarding album sales than musical ability or innovation, and I question the extent of what those that vote know (which means that a Prog category would be a nightmare).

Haven't the Grammy's just been through a massive sexism, racism, and nepotism scandal within the past year?

Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:58
When I saw Vanilla Ice get nominated for Ice Ice Baby, I gave up on the Grammy awards because it wasn’t original music but rather a sampling of Queen/Bowie. I don’t have a problem with sampling, per se, but I do have a problem with people winning awards off of the merits of others. Nowadays there are entire armies of writers backing popular artists, so there is no point in watching the charade.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:15
I do remember that John Wetton, Keith Emerson and Greg Lake were mentioned in memorium in 2017 Grammys, which was very decent of them.

Edited by cstack3 - May 30 2020 at 16:15
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:32
King Diamond, the band and the man I totally disagree with ideologically, never got any mainstream awards for his classic stuff like Abigail or The Eye. I personally like (musically and artistically!) only one his album - Graveyard, far from what is reckoned his classic. But even that album never won anything of the aforementioned kind. Finally, he was nominated with the track Neverending Hill, but even then lost to Slayer. Slayer and Grammy seem more compatible then. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:38
For me the Grammy's have as much credibility as the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.,,,,and that would be none.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:47
It is kind of nice, though, when one of ours slips through ...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:34
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

The grammys are just so arbitrary to me, who decides who the winners are and why should their opinion matter to me?
I agree 100% with you.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:50
Grammies are even more of a joke than the rock hall.

PROGMATIC
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 18:07

Just for clarification; Tull's Grammy was for Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Recording not just Heavy Metal. 6 out of the 9 tracks you would classify as Hard Rock.....and it's a brilliant album IMHO. So good on them.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 19:19
I remember even as a kid viewing the nominations lists and wondering who the heck the voters were cuz none of the music being nominated (other than Stevie Wonder) was either the most popular (according to Billboard), innovative, or, in my opinion, interesting. The "white bread" of music was winning most of the awards. It was as if people were voting for insider members--to recognize "their own"--people who were playing by the corporate rules (though there are always exceptions).
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>