Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has a Prog album ever won a Grammy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 00:23
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Asia, yes I would, but not using the same definition as 70s Prog. The format and technology had changed. The musicianship and technical ability were there, but the arrangements were shorter, slicker, crisper, and more radio friendly. It’s apples and oranges trying to compare with 70s epics.

The beauty of 70s Prog is that it was more raw, organic, and felt less processed. Themes took time to be developed. The beauty of 80s Prog is that it was delivered in rapid, radio-ready, easily digestible bites. It was more synthetic with a greater emphasis on technology and production.

While I agree that lot of things changed in prog from the 70s to the 80s, I still struggle to slot at least the first Asia album as prog.  I think without a line up with undeniable prog credentials, a lot of people would think of it as more of an AOR album which is what it is. Had there been a wholesale move from prog to AOR, it would be one thing.  But at the same time as Asia, Rush was still making prog.  So was the KC-Belew lineup.  Then, Marillion from 1983.  I think of THOSE as 80s albums because the tones, the styles as well as the production are all very 80s but the music is still progressive.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 08:03
Prog Artists Who Have Won A Grammy:

Yes
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd 
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Tool
Mastodon
Muse
Radiohead
David Bowie
The Prog Corner
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 08:12
^ Interesting. I wonder if any punk bands have won a Grammy? Ermm
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog Artists Who Have Won A Grammy:

Yes
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd 
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Tool
Mastodon
Muse
Radiohead
David Bowie

Don't forget Frank Zappa.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 09:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Asia, yes I would, but not using the same definition as 70s Prog. The format and technology had changed. The musicianship and technical ability were there, but the arrangements were shorter, slicker, crisper, and more radio friendly. It’s apples and oranges trying to compare with 70s epics.

The beauty of 70s Prog is that it was more raw, organic, and felt less processed. Themes took time to be developed. The beauty of 80s Prog is that it was delivered in rapid, radio-ready, easily digestible bites. It was more synthetic with a greater emphasis on technology and production.

While I agree that lot of things changed in prog from the 70s to the 80s, I still struggle to slot at least the first Asia album as prog.  I think without a line up with undeniable prog credentials, a lot of people would think of it as more of an AOR album which is what it is. Had there been a wholesale move from prog to AOR, it would be one thing.  But at the same time as Asia, Rush was still making prog.  So was the KC-Belew lineup.  Then, Marillion from 1983.  I think of THOSE as 80s albums because the tones, the styles as well as the production are all very 80s but the music is still progressive.

Still, I definitely think that there is a difference in sensibilities between the 70s and 80s centric folk here. The KC-Belew lineup was great, but even they went quite New Wave (Elephant Talk), and there is definitely a Talking Heads link there (and that Frippian repetition).

Edited by Jaketejas - June 02 2020 at 10:22
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 11:44
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I think Rush won a Grammy for YYZ, let me check...

dang, it was nominated for best rock instrumental but lost to Behind My Camel by The Police....I love The Police but that doesn't make any sense, Behind My Camel is a bit of a snooze compared to YYZ.

It makes perfect sense when you consider that The Police was a hip band and Rush, not so much. It's not fair but that's the reality. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 16:32
Andy Summers and Alex Lifeson are two of my favorite guitarists, mainly because I really enjoy interesting chords and chord progressions.  Here, I have to agree with you.  "Behind My Camel" is 4 droning notes followed by 4 droning trills in a textural manner.  If I were to choose Andy Summers' best work, it would certainly not be "Behind My Camel".  In my (cough) humble opinion, YYZ is one of Rush's finest jams.  It has so many great changes in it, and even what sounds like a solo incorporating harmonic minor (that interestingly kind of ties into that Middle Eastern "Behind My Camel" sound - must have been a signature of the times).  Everything is super tight on YYZ.  In some parts, it grooves.  Other parts have soaring keyboards, and still others have a proto-technical metal sound (the opening riff, for example).  And, to top it off, we have that amazing percussion solo.  I remember that their use of Morse code to derive a beat was something quite original at the time, and I believe influenced the spin-off of subgenres.  Finally, YYZ is presented in a seamless manner.  What really makes YYZ so cool for me is the way they transition between parts.  Having so many different sections, one would expect it to be a bit clunky.  Not at all.  The transitions are super smooth, a testimony to the technical abilities of the musicians.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 00:42

Still, I definitely think that there is a difference in sensibilities between the 70s and 80s centric folk here. The KC-Belew lineup was great, but even they went quite New Wave (Elephant Talk), and there is definitely a Talking Heads link there (and that Frippian repetition).

I am absolutely not denying that the sensibilities are different.  I am saying what is 80s prog isn't only about 80s sensibilities but about the music having a progressive bent.  That I don't get so much from the first Asia, I would say that I find 90125 more progressive than it in places.  
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:02

I am absolutely not denying that the sensibilities are different.  I am saying what is 80s prog isn't only about 80s sensibilities but about the music having a progressive bent.  That I don't get so much from the first Asia, I would say that I find 90125 more progressive than it in places.  

I think we are on the same page. The question becomes one of appropriateness of characterization. I prefer a Prog by degrees approach with various subcategories and cluster charts that link artists together based on layering and timeframe. This, to me, is far more useful and fair than a Draconian approach of “this one Prog”, “this one not Prog” methodology, which carries a higher probability of unfairness, friction, and error. Example: if I like early Rush, I’m going to be likely inclined to explore Led Zep’s music and that of Jimi Hendrix in one vector and that of Yes in another path - as a good jumping off point. If I like 80s King Crimson, I’m probably going to want to have a listen to Talking Heads, and then maybe if I love Talking Heads, I might want to listen to Devo and The Buggles, which the latter might lead me to mid-era Yes. If I enjoy Kate Bush’s music, I might also like Loreena McKennitt in one direction, or Peter Gabriel in another direction, which might then lead me to Genesis, and then on to Yes. In another vector, I might find that I enjoy the music of Tori Amos. For me, Prog is not a team with a sledgehammer or even a surgical scalpel. It’s a multidimensional network (many superimposed networks based on layers) that grows outward from a main trunk from more to less proggy (Prog by degree) and with each outwardly growing ring of the tree representing timeline. If I were into categorizing, that’s how I’d try to approach it. It would probably involve playlists and volunteers with listener feedback ranking various categories, and algorithms to sort it out, with current teams providing oversight. This is just my opinion, but I would prefer that better than the “Trust us - we know what we’re doing because - you know - we’re us” approach. I appreciate very much the people who serve here, and trust that they are doing their level best, but everyone - whether they like it or not - has bias and humans are terrible at connecting dots, especially when multiple layers are involved. And, the approach suggested above would be more useful, providing additional and valuable tools to the would-be Prog listener.

Edited by Jaketejas - June 03 2020 at 09:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:52
I think there's a tendency for some people to say that the albums they like are prog even if they aren't.  The problem with saying certain albums are prog just because they have some prog elements is that it leads to calling any album with certain characteristics belonging to that genre. So if Asia is prog just because it's proggy then all albums are prog just because they are proggy. And also all albums are jazz just because they have some jazz elements, all albums are techno if they have some techno elements, all albums are classical just because they have some classical elements and so on. No one would call "days of future past" by the moody blues a classical album would they? I didn't think so. I get that ultimately it's up to the individual to decide for themselves but something can have elements or aspects of something else and not be a full blown example of it and that's ok. A band doesn't get more points just because they are prog. That by itself doesn't make the music better or more "special."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 03 2020 at 09:53
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 10:20
That is why I prefer my above outlined approach. The further away from the trunk you go, the less Prog character is involved. Saying that Asia is or is not Prog lacks descriptive precision. If one could assess the numbers for different Prog characteristics keeping in mind the sensibilities of the timeframe (obviously the 80s were on a different swing of the pendulum than the 70s), then a listener might be able to more accurately assess the different proggy characteristics with better objectivity. And, they could link to relevant bands, whether PA characterizes them as Prog or not. Some suggest this be done on a song by song basis as well, but I’m not going there. I do see the point, though, because even the number one album for 80s-90s has some songs that are highly progressive (YYZ) and some that are much less so (or not, by the PA binary approach). I take your point, and I agree that there is a problem.

A Prog by degrees approach enables me, the listener, to bridge 80s KC with Talking Heads without throwing the baby (progginess) out with the bath water. KC would be closer to the trunk than Talking Heads, but the branch would be there so I have a richer musical experience. Saying Talking Heads is not Prog at all undermines the truth. They have some Prog character, but aren’t in the trunk. Their numbers for progginess would be lower than KC, but they’d be relevant.

Regarding Asia, with the approach I outline above, one could (I believe, at least to my ears) link the intro chords to "Sole Survivor" to music such as "Dodo/Lurker" by Genesis.  Is it more radio-friendly?  Yes, in line with the 80s sensibility.  It is more "prog POP ROCK" while the other is more "PROG rock".  And, to write an intro like "Don't Cry", which is very symphonic (you must admit that you wave your hands about like a conductor when you hear that) and then to be cast out of the prog rock classification just seems a bit too heavy-handed.  Once again, to me it is "prog POP ROCK" rather than "PROG rock", but that's what defined a lot of early 80s prog to me.  If you go back and look at the roots of prog, you can see that the intro to "Don't Cry" is just as bombastic (in a good way) as "The Court of the Crimson King".  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's what my "listening ears" hear.  Not all prog has to be 13/12 time signature, you know.  It could even be a medieval-inspired classical arrangement incorporating rock elements (like Broon's Bane and The Trees), at least that's what some of it used to be back in the good old days.

Edited by Jaketejas - June 03 2020 at 12:56
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think there's a tendency for some people to say that the albums they like are prog even if they aren't.  The problem with saying certain albums are prog just because they have some prog elements is that it leads to calling any album with certain characteristics belonging to that genre. So if Asia is prog just because it's proggy then all albums are prog just because they are proggy. And also all albums are jazz just because they have some jazz elements, all albums are techno if they have some techno elements, all albums are classical just because they have some classical elements and so on. No one would call "days of future past" by the moody blues a classical album would they? I didn't think so. I get that ultimately it's up to the individual to decide for themselves but something can have elements or aspects of something else and not be a full blown example of it and that's ok. A band doesn't get more points just because they are prog. That by itself doesn't make the music better or more "special."

I think a more deserving title might be "Gateway Prog".  If you look at the list of people's albums of how they got into prog in the first place, much of what they indicate is nowhere even remotely close to the Big 6, let alone the more obscure of bands.  Probably, some people would never have even heard the Big 6 if they hadn't been first introduced to bands like Styx, Led Zep, Queen and Asia.  I see some noses being turned up at the progginess of these bands, especially regarding ratings on later albums, but let's be honest.  These bands were (and still are, to some degree) instrumental in capturing the rock listener's attention.  The listener thinks - "hey, there is more going on here than what I'm used to hearing," and thus begins a path of discovery ... a bridge that leads them into prog.  I think I prefer the term "Gateway Prog" rather than "Prog Related", which carries the undertone of subpar.  If people are trying to rate the progginess of "Alpha" with that of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," I think they are somehow missing the importance and significance of these bands with respect to prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 18:27
^Maybe for those who got into prog a bit later but in the 70's ELP, Yes and PF in particular were about as big as anyone else at the time. Genesis didn't become very big until later when they become more poppy but they were a gateway for some too(even when they were still prog).
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 22:44

^Maybe for those who got into prog a bit later but in the 70's ELP, Yes and PF in particular were about as big as anyone else at the time. Genesis didn't become very big until later when they become more poppy but they were a gateway for some too(even when they were still prog).

Precisely my point. The early bands established the core Prog sound. Then, generally speaking, Prog became more incorporated into the radio friendly shorter rock and pop format to varying degrees, which defined late 70s, early 80s Prog. Afterwards, there was a shift to a heavier sound throughout the mid to late 80s and beyond. Obviously, there are exceptions. I think each period has its merits, but that bands should be categorized in accordance with their historical timeframe. It is true with other genres as well. Taylor Swift is different from Shania Twain, who is different from Dolly Parton. Does the Country crowd keep Dolly and throw out the others for incorporating too many pop/rock elements. No. One appreciates and compares within the artists’ timeframe. I don’t see the appropriateness of rating Asia with the same criteria as early Yes, claiming that early Yes is one value (obviously on a high pedestal here) while Asia has some dopey low rating. I honestly don’t get it. I appreciate each version of Prog within its respective timeframe, as well as those versions that don’t quite fit the mold. I wear different hats, so to speak, when I am listening to different sub genres within different historical contexts. Not everything has to be compared to Close to the Edge. Good grief!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 02:05

Precisely my point. The early bands established the core Prog sound. Then, generally speaking, Prog became more incorporated into the radio friendly shorter rock and pop format to varying degrees, which defined late 70s, early 80s Prog. Afterwards, there was a shift to a heavier sound throughout the mid to late 80s and beyond. Obviously, there are exceptions. I think each period has its merits, but that bands should be categorized in accordance with their historical timeframe. It is true with other genres as well. Taylor Swift is different from Shania Twain, who is different from Dolly Parton. Does the Country crowd keep Dolly and throw out the others for incorporating too many pop/rock elements. No. One appreciates and compares within the artists’ timeframe. I don’t see the appropriateness of rating Asia with the same criteria as early Yes, claiming that early Yes is one value (obviously on a high pedestal here) while Asia has some dopey low rating. I honestly don’t get it. I appreciate each version of Prog within its respective timeframe, as well as those versions that don’t quite fit the mold. I wear different hats, so to speak, when I am listening to different sub genres within different historical contexts. Not everything has to be compared to Close to the Edge. Good grief!
Well, one doesn't have to be judging e.g. Asia against the context of early 70's prog to find it wanting. I judge the first Asia album in the context of the mainstream rock and pop that was coming out at the same time, because that to my mind is what it basically is. In that light it comes across to me personally as a stale and tired assemblage of musical and lyrical clichés. The fact that some of the clichés are drawn from the prog idiom isn't really the basic problem, which to my mind is a lack of fresh ideas and approaches.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 06 2020 at 02:06
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Well, one doesn't have to be judging e.g. Asia against the context of early 70's prog to find it wanting. I judge the first Asia album in the context of the mainstream rock and pop that was coming out at the same time, because that to my mind is what it basically is. In that light it comes across to me personally as a stale and tired assemblage of musical and lyrical clichés. The fact that some of the clichés are drawn from the prog idiom isn't really the basic problem, which to my mind is a lack of fresh ideas and approaches.

Yeah, and like I said, it's not that there was no 'gateway prog' in the 80s either.  Rush's albums are as accessible as Asia's but they remain progressive in the way they explore different musical ideas where Asia at best comes across as a somewhat sophisticated way of writing AOR. The first Iron Maiden album or Seventh Son later on would probably serve the purpose of introducing someone to 'progressive' ideas equally well or better than Asia, likewise Metallica from RTL to AJFA.  And you could then introduce such a person to Marillion's Script for A Jester's Tears to give them an idea of what Genesis updated for the 80s would sound like.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 03:46
Grammys, Oscars, Golden Bears, Silver Scissors etc etc interest me about as much as tiny chihuahua outfits and chimney soot.
Uninteresting prizes awarded to uninteresting “artists” by equally uninteresting personas...of course judged and heralded by uninteresting crowds of people without any form of flavour to them.

But yeah...always nice to get nominated!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:53

Excellent observation. I agree with you 100%

Edited by Manuel - June 06 2020 at 06:54
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:25

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Yeah, and like I said, it's not that there was no 'gateway prog' in the 80s either.  Rush's albums are as accessible as Asia's but they remain progressive in the way they explore different musical ideas where Asia at best comes across as a somewhat sophisticated way of writing AOR. The first Iron Maiden album or Seventh Son later on would probably serve the purpose of introducing someone to 'progressive' ideas equally well or better than Asia, likewise Metallica from RTL to AJFA.  And you could then introduce such a person to Marillion's Script for A Jester's Tears to give them an idea of what Genesis updated for the 80s would sound like.

I love your point about Iron Maiden as possibly being Gateway Prog for Prog Metal. They were a tremendous influence, especially in my current locality, which has a heavy metal fan base tradition.   However, I wouldn’t compare Asia, which is more Prog Pop Rock with Rush, which was more Prog Hard Rock at the time (although they changed their sound somewhat by album grouping, which either was embraced by the fans, or riled them up). I might compare Asia with Saga, for example.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:40
How the fook does anybody on this site know the difference betwixt Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton and Shenia godawful Twain? It all would sound the same to me...pointless romantic dross from the sewage farm of brainless twoddle....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>