Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any good Zappa's biography book?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any good Zappa's biography book?
    Posted: May 30 2020 at 08:47
I would like to dig the life of this man, so what would you advise me?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:09
I've read the biography Frank Zappa by Barry Miles. It's fairly thorough and decently-written, I enjoyed it and felt I understood the man a lot better after reading it. It's by no means a work of hagiography, though - Miles doesn't varnish the fact that Zappa was in some respects a pretty unlikeable character.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:26
The Real Frank Zappa book by FZ would be a good start.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:03
Grumpyprogfan is correct. "The Real Frank Zappa Book" has Frank's own take on his life and career.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:36
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The Real Frank Zappa book by FZ would be a good start.
Yes, and it's a good book indeed.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 21:40
Mother! Is the Story of Frank Zappa, by Michael Gray.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 21:50
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Grumpyprogfan is correct. "The Real Frank Zappa Book" has Frank's own take on his life and career.

Yep, this is the one I would recommend. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 07:07
Hi,

I've read both books and am actually having a hard time writing a review of both ... one because it has stuff in it that I think was slightly manufactured, and the real one, because in the last quarter, it gets off the book and goes into some stratosfear of ideas ... although I would agree with him when it comes to the things he said about the wives in Washington DC pulling Lysistrata's to their husbands, to change policy! I find that disgusting and sickening to the gore!

But none of it is more entertaining which the Miles book does not have and is the complete dialogue in the English trial about obscenity in 200 MOTELS ... which of course, FZ won, but the Crown is not culpable for its crap laws, so the whole thing became an exercise in futility ... and the judge didn't even know what an "orgasm" was!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply