Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles albums vs The Who albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which are yr fav?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
47 [74.60%]
16 [25.40%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:18
interesting...

Beatles made better albums... the Who were a better band..

in fact it gets down to something that certain bands shared. Not surprisingly my top 3 bands alltime all share.

the ABB, JA, and the Who.

anyone sharp enough to note what they share..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 08:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

interesting...

Hi,

I would agree to this, only in that you could not see the Beatles in concert like we could The Who. If the Beatles had done a bunch of concerts that neared anywhere close to the songs they did on top of the building, they would probably have a lot more respect and appreciation. They could still play together and then some!

As far as the studio is concerned, I would have to say that the Beatles, were much more interesting and better because they had GEORGE MARTIN ... and if you really want to learn something about GM, try listening to the redone Goon shows in the BBC, and pay special attention to the sound effects ... all of them done (for the most part) with GM, who stated in his special that doing comedy really helped because what you have to do is make it work even better. And he did albums for Peter Sellers where you can see a wonderful blend of comedy, voices, style and sound ... and I'm not sure it could be done with an amateur at hand.

Some folks don't think that GM was that valuable, but when you see his special, there is reason to believe that he was the 5th Beatle, and a much more important person in the studio than anything else, specially helping put it all together.

The Who, became the darlings of the concert scene when Keith started copying Legs Larry Smith (Bonzo Dog Band) who used to smash and kick the drums at the end of their show. And it helped give The Who some notoriety ... but the fans ignored the BDB ... but in case you are bored, you really ought to go listen to Roger Ruskin Spear's version of that one WHO song ... it's better than the original by miles!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:28
I prefer the Who over the Beatles, but for this poll the Beatles just comes out on top. Stick Who's Next into the mix though and I would've voted the other way.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:49
I wish I could vote for 1 Beatles album (Revolver) and 1 Who album (Sell Out).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 09:29
Hi,

I was thinking that The Beatles had already paved the road when The Who showed up ... as such, The Beatles would be the more valuable of the two. But I think that The Who gave it more personality that was not as strict and "composed" as The Beatles were until the WHITE ALBUM when they showed the fracture and the breaks and GM was probably not putting his hand on it. And all this showed on the LET IT BE album as well.

Edited by moshkito - June 13 2020 at 01:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:37
Revolver alone will do it
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:41
Revolver/ Sgt Pepper / Abbey Road

These are in my opinion the top 3 best Beatles albums!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 10:42
The Beatles
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 11:16

interesting...

in fact it gets down to something that certain bands shared. Not surprisingly my top 3 bands alltime all share.

More than one lead singer in the band.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 11:35
The Liverpool ones.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:53

interesting...

Forget that first guess up there, it was wrong, its the bass players.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:54
With some reluctance I'll vote for The Who. None of those Beatles albums do as much for me as Quadrophenia, although Abbey Road and Revolver are great albums. I've heard Sgt Pepper enough now.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 03:26
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Revolver/ Sgt Pepper / Abbey Road

These are in my opinion the top 3 best Beatles albums!

This ^
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 18:11
Why was who's next left off? I imagine the who would have had more votes if it was on there instead of the who sell out.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 20:23
Those are some top tier Beatles albums, and as someone who generally prefers to listen to The Who over The Beatles, I had to choose Beatles for this one.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 08:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Why was who's next left off? I imagine the who would have had more votes if it was on there instead of the who sell out.

Of course they would!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12