Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.80%]
5 [9.80%]
17 [33.33%]
3 [5.88%]
2 [3.92%]
2 [3.92%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.88%]
6 [11.76%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album
    Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:39
I've been a fan of the New York Hard Rock band Blue Öyster Cult ever since their beginnings in the early 1970's, and I just discovered to my delight today that they're included on ProgArchives, so I'm wondering, which is your favourite Blue Öyster Cult album? My vote goes to "Imaginos", featuring my favourite BOC song, "Frankenstein" Smile Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 20 2023 at 16:22
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:57
Secret Treaties for me.... great album
Prog On!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:58
debut today
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've been a fan of the New York Hard Rock band Blue Öyster Cult ever since their beginnings in the early 1970's, and I just discovered to my delight today that they're included on ProgArchives, so I'm wondering, which is your favourite Blue Öyster Cult album? My vote goes to "Imaginos", featuring my favourite BOC song, "Frankenstein" Smile Heart

Don't have too many of theirs, but went with Imaginos, an underrated classic!  Secret Treaties and Agents Of Fortunes are both pretty close...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:18
^^ It's great to see another vote for "Imaginos". I had a feeling I'd be the only one to vote for that album. Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:22

Well, at least that's something we have in commonSmile. Guess who added them? It wasn't pretty at the time, but thankfully things have mellowed out. Anyway, hard to choose for me - I love all of their albums, even those that are considered "minor". If somebody pointed a gun to my head, though, I'd probably go with Tyranny and Mutation. Incidentally, I also think Imaginos is one of their best albums, and I love the references to H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:32

^^ It's great to see another vote for "Imaginos". I had a feeling I'd be the only one to vote for that album. Smile

All down to a review in Kerrang! at the time.  I had never heard of them at the time.  I was mostly into hard rock and metal back then (late teen years) so anything that got a 5 star rating I was interested in.  I think the review started with "Ask your big brother about Blue Oyster Cult".....  I didn't have one, and my big sister was into Soft Cell, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran (and the like) so I just bought Imaginos and loved itBig smile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:48
Their debut.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, at least that's something we have in commonSmile. Guess who added them? It wasn't pretty at the time, but thankfully things have mellowed out. Anyway, hard to choose for me - I love all of their albums, even those that are considered "minor". If somebody pointed a gun to my head, though, I'd probably go with Tyranny and Mutation. Incidentally, I also think Imaginos is one of their best albums, and I love the references to H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
Yes, I can imagine (or Imaginos) there'd be a big dispute over whether or not Blue Oyster Cult should be added to ProgArchives, although it probably wasn't as big a dispute as the time when Miles Davis was added to the hallowed halls of prog. Smile
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:37
Secret Treaties for me, first album I bought by them back then.  
Not as familiar with some of their later stuff, although I do have Club Ninja which I found at a CD/Record show a year or two ago.  I did not care for this one much.

I am curious about Imaginos now as I have not heard that one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Quite difficult to get hold of I think....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:02

Not as familiar with some of their later stuff, although I do have Club Ninja which I found at a CD/Record show a year or two ago.  I did not care for this one much.

Imaginos is much MUCH better than Club Ninja. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:09
I never really got into this band much, but I have a soft spot for Cultösaurus Erectus.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I never really got into this band much, but I have a soft spot for Cultösaurus Erectus.
I'm not sure whether you intended the pun, but it's funny all the same. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 13:05
Hey, a BÖC poll!

IMO, Cultosaurus Erectus is the perfect BÖC album. Other albums are great but there's something about C.E. It kixass all the way through, and has some of their best songs, like the riveting "Black Blade" and the freaky "The Marshall Plan." 

I do love Imaginos and the underrated Mirrors, but I have to vote for C.E.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 13:09
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Quite difficult to get hold of I think....

Not at all. The last remaster appeared in 2013. I see many copies available via the usual outlets.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 14:53
If I must chose a studio album, I'd have gone for Treaties with Spectres second, but since live albums are allowed, then I went for Enchanted Evening the expanded edition with the Live DVD performance.

Even keeping SEE as a single disc, I like it better than Kness & Feet , but it would be a tie with ET Live.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 15:34
Secret Treaties with the debut not far behind, Treaties is great all the way through but the debut has "Then Came the Last Days of May" which is by far and away my farvorite BOC song. 
The most dangerous man in America.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 15:46
I'd have to give it Secret Treaties.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 18:40
man that is hard... one of my alttime top favorite bands with great songs and great albums all the way across their career arc.

but I would have to pick from one of the first 3 .. not because they may have been more.. (god I hate that f**kign word)  proggy.. but I simply enjoyed the sound and the energy of those.  Lanier became more prominent on later albums which wasn't a bad thing.. but it did correspond perhaps intentionally in the way Bouchards drumming became less prominent after the first three.  Perhaps it was the adjustment drummers often make as they have to tone down their playing in large arena/stadium settings which BOC was hitting with their 4 album but as great as many of the later albums were.. and they were.. and the great thing of the band.. even the less than great albums still had lots of great songs you'll never hear on the radio or some damn compilation album

but alas they simply didn't flat out sonic assault you the way the first 3 albums did..

the way my favorite especially did.. Tyranny and Mutation.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>