Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Watch plays "Can Utility and the Coastliners"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Watch plays "Can Utility and the Coastliners"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Watch plays "Can Utility and the Coastliners"
    Posted: June 04 2020 at 02:29
This is very nice, featuring Steve (I mean, JOHN!) Hackett! 

Edited by cstack3 - June 04 2020 at 16:00
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 02:48
Neat rendition. Always enjoyed The Watch for their Genesis-isms !!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 03:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Thanks!  I saw Canada's "Musical Box" play the same song in concert, it was excellent!  This was how they looked live.

As a bassist, I can attest that Rutherford's bass line towards the end (3:57 in this video) is a real hand-breaker!  LOL

Edited by cstack3 - June 04 2020 at 03:10
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 03:18
Superb rendition! 

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 03:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Thanks!  I saw Canada's "Musical Box" play the same song in concert, it was excellent!  This was how they looked live.

As a bassist, I can attest that Rutherford's bass line towards the end (3:57 in this video) is a real hand-breaker!  LOL

Cool pic !! They look the real deal 👍🏼
Thanks for posting these curiosities !!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 05:56
Nice rendition. I saw John Hackett though, not Steve.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 06:16
Very nice Charles! Thanks for the post. Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 06:58
Probably their best ever cover of a Genesis song. His vocal style suits it perfectly. Nice having John Hackett on it too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 07:09
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Probably their best ever cover of a Genesis song. His vocal style suits it perfectly. Nice having John Hackett on it too.

you do know The Watch is more or less a Genesis pastiche Confused
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 07:19
^ I sure do...... They haven't always hit the spot with me, often due to the vocal style, but this track is definitely the best I've heard from them over the years (whether a cover or their own compositions)
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 07:23
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

was going to say that--Wink

Love this rendition and love this song--its a fav from that period---Thanks for posting!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 08:28
Their version of Going out to get you is also well done.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 15:59
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

OOPS!!  Thanks for the correction, I thought he looked odd!! LOL
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 16:16
To me, The Watch really shines when they do original songs rather than Genesis covers.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 16:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Genesis pastiche they may be but when I saw them I thought they were very sincere and truly honoured to be playing this music. I saw them at a fairly small, intimate gig and with no props, masks or gimmicks and I was impressed by their honesty and the atmosphere they generated.

Lets face it, most recent and contemporary 'Prog' bands have an element of 'pastiche'.. does it mean individuals enjoy it any less?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 16:30
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Genesis pastiche they may be but when I saw them I thought they were very sincere and truly honoured to be playing this music. I saw them at a fairly small, intimate gig and with no props, masks or gimmicks and I was impressed by their honesty and the atmosphere they generated.

Lets face it, most recent and contemporary 'Prog' bands have an element of 'pastiche'.. does it mean individuals enjoy it any less?

I did not mean pastiche in a negative way. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 16:43

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I did not mean pastiche in a negative way. 

I didn't take it as such; that's how I found 'The Watch' from the one time I saw them. And that's just a general observation on much prog from the late 70's onwards.. that old 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' chestnut. Best left at that I think.Wink

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 05:49
Absolutely brilliant cover. well done guys.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 08:56

As a practicing musician, I identify with "prog pastiche!"  It is extremely satisfying to master a complex body of work from bands like Genesis, KC, Yes etc. and play it in a group setting.  I don't see any difference from a chamber quartet learning Mozart for example.  

These gentlemen really nail the feeling of the song very well, and "Can" is, IMHO, the second best song on "Foxtrot" after "Supper's Ready."  
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 13:58
An excellent song - one of my favourite Genesis tracks and I'll give credit to The Watch for doing it real justice - regardless of what people think about tribute or pastiche bands (who I appreciate not everyone likes)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>