0 [0.00%]
9 [26.47%]
3 [8.82%]
1 [2.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personal Journey through 1980
    Posted: June 05 2020 at 02:14
I turned 18 that year - prog. had all but disappeared and also the early gigs that have such special resonance come to an end around that age.  I will make it the last in the series.  
* I saw Roy at Leicester that year - he was joined on stage by none other than Dave Gilmour!  We were rubbing our eyes!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 02:28
Melt over Stormwatch & Defector 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 04:00
Stormwatch is from 1979, A is from 1980
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 04:04
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Stormwatch is from 1979, A is from 1980

I know, but it was the Stormwatch tour I saw.  As stated, these are the bands I saw in 1980 and these were their 'latest' albums.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 04:24
I'm listening to and rating all of Steve Hackett's albums right now, and having just listened to "Defector" again, that's where my vote goes in the poll. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 06:13
Defector is pretty good but I'd have preferred seeing Jethro Tull on that tour. Stormwatch is an excellent album in my view and Heavy Horses was even better. I could only see them when they toured Under Wraps (only time I saw them), and they were still good live, I didn't regret to go, however I imagine they would have been even much better on the Stormwatch tour. I saw Hackett more often and he is always great, but no need to use a time machine for seeing him once more.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 06:48
All sound great to me, it would be very hard to pick one in particular.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 07:18
I don't care for Hawkwind too much but this album is actually very good. Anyway Peter Gabriel is my favorite here, Steve Hackett is second.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 09:03
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I don't care for Hawkwind too much but this album is actually very good.
Me too, it's easily their album I return to the most (and the only one I know from this poll Embarrassed).
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 09:14
Saw Hackett. Wanted to see Gabriel.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
xhouse View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 12:20
Saw Peter Gabriel on successive days—one an open air daytime show, one indoor night time show. Both shows completely different, both excellent. Best two days ever.
Between Thought and Expression Lies True Perception
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 15:30
Saw Tull, Hackett, Gabriel and Harper live around that year... as the poll doesn't allow multiple votes, I'm assuming you want the favourite one. Difficult.... I loved Tull and Hackett live, although both those albums were a notch down on the previous ones. I have to choose Gabriel - as the gig was memorable and the album remains my favourite solo work from him. 40 years ago FFS!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:15
PG 3 "Melt"

Would love to have seen how tour drummer (I don't know who he was using at the time--probably Jerry) would've handled all the songs that had no cymbals! (I know it drove Phil crazy in the studio!) 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 18:01
Hackett, followed by Peter Gabriel
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 04:07
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

PG 3 "Melt"

Would love to have seen how tour drummer (I don't know who he was using at the time--probably Jerry) would've handled all the songs that had no cymbals! (I know it drove Phil crazy in the studio!) 

It was Jerry - from what I can recall he had cymbals on the kit but generally kept the beat for the 'Melt' songs without ride or hi-hat.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 02:33
I forgot to add that I saw Pierre Moerlen's Gong that year as well!  The album was 'Downwind' and that tour formed the basis for the 'Live' album.   
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 03:29
I only own the first two so no vote from me.
Not the biggest fan of either but push comes to shove? Probably Gabriel.

My own faves from 1980 include:
Spinetta Jade - Alma de Diamante
Nya Ljudbolaget - s/t
Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor
Picchio Dal Pozzo - Abbiamo Tutto I Suoi Problemi
Itoiz - Ezekiel
Art Zoyd - Génération Sans Futur
Jon Hassell - Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 03:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I only own the first two so no vote from me.
Not the biggest fan of either but push comes to shove? Probably Gabriel.

My own faves from 1980 include:
Spinetta Jade - Alma de Diamante
Nya Ljudbolaget - s/t
Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor
Picchio Dal Pozzo - Abbiamo Tutto I Suoi Problemi
Itoiz - Ezekiel
Art Zoyd - Génération Sans Futur
Jon Hassell - Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics

Apart from Zamla, I certainly would not have heard of any of these, least of all seen them live in the UK during that year!  Would have loved to see Art Zoyd then.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:11
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I forgot to add that I saw Pierre Moerlen's Gong that year as well!  The album was 'Downwind' and that tour formed the basis for the 'Live' album.   

Now they could have put up a good fight with Jethro Tull in that year. Although I've seen them twice, so probably I'd still use my time travel ticket for the Tull. 
 Post Reply Post Reply