Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dreaming City

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dreaming City
    Posted: June 05 2020 at 14:23
Progressive Metal from Glasshammer...
and the last track - a Rush track better than anything that rush did after "Moving Pictures" and weighing in at 11:35...mind you the previous three CD's I own and yet to hear....more to explore...must put listening to the "Beastie Boys" back to after I'm dead..oh well...Wink
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 14:30
I can blow hot and cold with the band, not least because their style can change, but I think this album is a good one, despite its slightly heavier feel. The Rush similarities at times caught my ear too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 06:36
It’s ok
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:38
I'm a big fan but they've really tried my patience recently sticking to a very vanilla formula and seemingly not able to get over losing Jon Davison. But this is something out the box different for them and a massive and very pleasant surprise. Yes there is definitely some 'homaging' to Rush going on but at times it reminds me of their much maligned album Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted which I really like . Its quite grungy at times and Steve Babb is having a whale of a time being his hero Geddy Lee. Well Rush are no longer here but we are to echo the comments of Eddie Jobson when they were accused of being 'ELP' on the second UK album. Yep its symphonic prog but heavier and much more powerful than anything they've done in their career. Love it. My album of the year so far and its been a decent year with excellent releases from Magenta and IO Earth to name just two.
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:59
It's got some good stuff on it, but it hasn't sunken its hooks into me. That album artwork though--wow--it's stunning.

Edited by foregonillusions - June 30 2020 at 09:00
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Progressive Metal from Glasshammer...
and the last track - a Rush track better than anything that rush did after "Moving Pictures" and weighing in at 11:35...mind you the previous three CD's I own and yet to hear....more to explore...must put listening to the "Beastie Boys" back to after I'm dead..oh well...Wink

Just out of curiosity: Are they named after the dreaming city of Imrryr from Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melniboné" saga?

Edited by BaldFriede - June 30 2020 at 10:08

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 13:29

For me the band haven’t bettered this magnificent magical experiences imho I have both formats I am still unsure of the Dreamcity album
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 15:21
^ That is my my favourite symph prog album of this century bar maybe All Traps On Earth - A Drop of Light.
 Post Reply Post Reply