Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult Songs
    Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:16
BLUE OYSTER CULT began life in New York in 1967 with a mixture of TYRANNY AND MUTATION. Having signed the SECRET TREATIES with the Columbia record label, the band became AGENTS OF FORTUNE with the success of their fourth album, which included the all-time classic "(Don't Fear) The Reaper". Blue Öyster Cult were able to put the SPECTRES of years of struggle behind them, with gleaming polished MIRRORS reflecting a bright future ahead.  There was now no danger of Blue Öyster Cult becoming extinct like the CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS dinosaur. The band were lit up and burning with success in a FIRE OF UNKOWN ORIGIN and ready to take the world by storm with a  REVOLUTION BY NIGHT down at the CLUB NINJA. IMAGINOS was a modern CULT CLASSIC album and a real return to form, but HEAVEN FORBID that Blue Öyster Cult should end their long career with the CURSE OF THE HIDDEN MIRROR. Smile 

All albums in BLUE HIGHLIGHTS by Blue Öyster Cult

This is your chance to help determine the Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult  songs of all time. Simply list your Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult songs in order of preference and then I'll assign points to your listings as follows:-

1st song - 6 points
2nd song - 4 points
3rd song - 3 points
4th song- 2 points
5th song - 1 point

Here are my Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult  songs to get the poll underway:-

1. The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria (6 points)
2. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (4 points)
3. The Marshall Plan (3 points)
4. Black Blade (2 points)
5. The Vigil (1 Point)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 05 2020 at 18:45
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:32
that's f**king evil man.... the satanic redhead of top 5 questions.. and in that spirit...I'll sleep on that one 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that's f**king evil man.... the satanic redhead of top 5 questions.. and in that spirit...I'll sleep on that one 
Don't Fear the Reaper while you sleep on it. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:41
hah...after that explosion a couple of years ago I've still got 2 of my 9 lives left...  so no fearing the Reaper here..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:34
a top 5 huh...  hard because frankly this band was so damned good they had so many truly great songs so unlike many bands where top songs are sort of cemented I could and probably would put together a completely different top 5 list.  

1) The Red and the Black...  a worthy candidate for most badass riff in all rock.. and yeah.. Bouchard tears it up
2) The Golden Age of Leather... those harmonies are heavenly
3) Last Days of May  .. as we've talked of before..  Buck's guitar tone on this rules and is completely lost on subsequent live versions.  It has an foreboding atmosphere lost in the arena setting
4) speaking of evil...  it don't get better than this ... The Revenge of Vera Gemini
5) ME262.. intellectual garage rock at its finest and no one did that better than BOC

honerable mention... as it it is a top 5 alltime favorite.. yet .. well..
6) Hot Rails to Hell.. that surf guitar rules!!!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:00
That's really like being asked to choose which of your children you love bestLOL! Anyway, here's mine - a rather unconventional list:

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (live version from ET Live)
2. Seven Screamin' Dizbusters
3. Divine Wind
4. The Subhuman
5. Mistress of the Salmon Salt

Simmering just below:
6. Vengeance (The Pact)
7. Monsters
8. Shadow of California
9. Last Days of May
10. The Vigil
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:26
1- The Vigil
2- Dominance and Submission
3- Last days in May
4- Career of Evil (that sloppy riff is divine!)
5- Veterans of Psychic Wars (live)
6- Joan Crawford
7- I love the Night
8- Godzilla
9- Burning for You
10- Transmaniacon MC
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:20
I admit to not knowing a lot of their stuff. Most of what I know is from "Fire of Unknown Origin" and a best of called "Don't fear the reaper".  And I like most of them!

so, without much regard for order because they are all very close to equal IMO, depending on my mood

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars
2. Burning for you
3. Don't Turn your back
4. In Three
5. Joan Crawford
6. Don't Fear the Reaper
7. Nosferatu
8. Godzilla
9. Vengeance
10. Career of Evil

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:13
1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (Extraterrestrial Live version)
2. Black Blade
3. Then Came the Last Days of May
4. The Vigil
5. The Old Gods Return

6. The Marshall Plan
7. Lonely Teardrops
8. Dominance and Submission (Extraterrestrial Live version)
9. Burnin' for You
10. Shadow of California

(I had "The Siege and Investiture of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria" in there, but I moved it off. This list could be at least 50% different a half-hour from now.)
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:45
Astronomy
Flaming telepaths
Reaper
Burning for you
E.T.I.

Edited by Earl of Mar - June 06 2020 at 10:47
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:52
goes to show just how much quality is there is to go that long before Astronomy was mentioned...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

goes to show just how much quality is there is to go that long before Astronomy was mentioned...
There are three versions of Astronomy to choose from too. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:18
and all rule...  would have made my top 10...
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:34
Astronomy
Dominance and Submission
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Joan Crawford
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:24
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll
The Revenge of Vera Gemini
I'm On The Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep
Lips In The Hills
Don't Fear the Reaper
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:42
Yep, this is a difficult one..
Dominance and submission (Secret treaties)
The Subhuman (On your Feet or on your Knees version)
Astronomy (Some Enchanted Evening version)
ETI ( Agents of fortune or Some enchanted Evening, either..)
Black Blade (Cultisaurus erectus)

Ive gotta say that I just love BOC's version of 'We gotta get out of this place'... they did a few great covers, 'Roadhouse blues', 'Born to be wild', 'Kick out the Jams' etc

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 15:13
I'll do the first count-up of the votes as soon as we get onto Page 2. At the moment, it doesn't look as if "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is even going to make it into the Top 5, which comes as a surprise. Shocked
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'll do the first count-up of the votes as soon as we get onto Page 2. At the moment, it doesn't look as if "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is even going to make it into the Top 5, which comes as a surprise. Shocked

"(Don't Fear) the Reaper" is a fine song, but BÖC is no "singles" band. They have so many GREAT songs!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

"(Don't Fear) the Reaper" is a fine song, but BÖC is no "singles" band. They have so many GREAT songs!!
That's true. It's a pity that "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is the only Blue Oyster Cult song that ever gets played on the radio over here when they have so many great songs in their back catalogue. I've listened to all of their albums and "Imaginos" remains my all-time favourite BOC album.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:13
^ I take it you are listening to the songs suggested here that you might not have heard.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>