Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ I take it you are listening to the songs suggested here that you might not have heard.  

When the votes have all come in, I'll post the videos here for the Top 5 songs, then we can all listen to them together. Smile 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:30
dude I have heard so much BOC in the last .. well especially 15 years.. I can hear 'em in the head...the cranial IPOD...the only real need to popping the CD's in these days  is to continue destroying my hearing, the joy of knocking pictures and artwork off the wall and occasionally paying the neighbor back for his absolutely sh*tty taste in music 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:36

dude I have heard so much BOC in the last .. well especially 15 years.. I can hear 'em in the head...the cranial IPOD...the only real need to popping the CD's in these days  is to continue destroying my hearing, the joy of knocking pictures and artwork off the wall and occasionally paying the neighbor back for his absolutely sh*tty taste in music 

Luckily, I have a neighbour who's into Prog-Rock. He told me recently his favourite band is Genesis and he's the kind of good neighbour who asks me to turn the music up and play it LOUD when I put my stereo outside in the garden. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:41
I pity you man... and thank God I don't have a neighbor into Genesis.. what this dude lacks in music he makes up for in ... lively (and loud) companionship....  so at least he has that going for him.  With Genesis fan you still get the suck.. but with no broads.. hah...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:42
Astronomy (enchanted version)
Black Blade
Godzilla
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
ME262

Dominance and Submission
Last Days of May
Cities On Flame
Harvesters of Eyes
Nosferatu
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:45

I pity you man... and thank God I don't have a neighbor into Genesis.. what this dude lacks in music he makes up for in ... lively (and loud) companionship....  so at least he has that going for him.  With Genesis fan you still get the suck.. but with no broads.. hah...

I'm a Genesis fan too. I have all of their albums, up to and including Wind & Wuthering. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:49
Beer well enjoy the BOC at least
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:57

Beer well enjoy the BOC at least

Cheers! I dislike the 1980's Phil Collins Genesis probably just as much as you do. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:24
Off the top of my head:

1. "Dominance and Submission"
2. "I Love the Night"
3. "Flaming Telepaths/Astronomy"
4. "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll"
5. "Divine Wind"

(I know:  I cheated.)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:47
Here's how the voting looks so far:-

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (24 points)
2. Astronomy (21 points) - All versions
3. Dominance and Submission (20 points)
4. Black Blade (11 points)
5. The Vigil (9 points)
5. Last Days of May (9 points)
5. Cities on Flame (9 points)

8. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (8 points)
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:52
This got me thinking how ive actually neglected to play much BOC recently so ive dug out all my vinyl lps- from the S/T first lp up to Revolution by Night.. except I cant find Mirrors (which actually I don't remember that well.. but certainly had it!) and have started playing back to back!
First up is the S/T 1st lp- i'd forgotten how much I love this lp; certainly all killer no filler only critism is that the sound is a bit distant and lacking in dynamics.. Next up Tyranny and Mutation... much more in your face sound and production.
Last time I saw BOC was a couple of days before my daughter was born so just over 31 years ago!Shocked

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 12:09
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

This got me thinking how ive actually neglected to play much BOC recently so ive dug out all my vinyl lps- from the S/T first lp up to Revolution by Night.. except I cant find Mirrors (which actually I don't remember that well.. but certainly had it!) and have started playing back to back!
First up is the S/T 1st lp- i'd forgotten how much I love this lp; certainly all killer no filler only critism is that the sound is a bit distant and lacking in dynamics.. Next up Tyranny and Mutation... much more in your face sound and production.
Last time I saw BOC was a couple of days before my daughter was born so just over 31 years ago!Shocked
Many of Blue Oyster Cult's full albums are currently available on YouTube, so I could post them underneath my Blue Oyster Cult albums poll. Smile
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:40
^ Cheers Paul; I could certainly catch up on the post 'Revolution by Night' albums.. I think it was the 'Imaginos' tour when I saw them last and I never got round to listening to the album or 'Club Ninja' that came before. I was going to see them in Bristol early last year but I think it was cancelled.. shame..

Was about to dive into 'Secret Treaties' but my mrs appeared with the hoover and informed me she'd done upstairs.. so I had to take a domestics breakShockedOuch so it will be tomorrowWink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:27
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

^ Cheers Paul; I could certainly catch up on the post 'Revolution by Night' albums.. I think it was the 'Imaginos' tour when I saw them last and I never got round to listening to the album or 'Club Ninja' that came before. I was going to see them in Bristol early last year but I think it was cancelled.. shame..

Was about to dive into 'Secret Treaties' but my mrs appeared with the hoover and informed me she'd done upstairs.. so I had to take a domestics breakShockedOuch so it will be tomorrowWink
Luckily, the full Secret Treaties album is currently available on YouTube and it's also the winning album in my Blue Oyster Cult albums poll. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Here's how the voting looks so far:-

Clap

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 08:04
Hmmm....to me BOC did some good singles...though they might not have thought of themselves like that....

Reaper
Telepaths
Astronomy
Cities on Flame
Fire of Unknown Origin

Transmaniacon MC
Burnin For You
Take Me Away
Old Gods Return

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 08:43
^^ There's only one BOC single that ever gets played on the radio in England and I'm glad to say you just singlehandedly propelled the song into the Top 5. Smile

1. Astronomy (24 points) - All versions
4. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (14 points)
5. Black Blade (11 points)
5. Cities on Flame (11 points)
5. Flaming Telepaths (11 points) 

8. The Vigil (9 points)
8. Last Days of May (9 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 08 2020 at 08:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 18:23
Verslibre has kindly already posted "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", and here's the other joint winning song in the poll so far: "Astronomy" from the Imaginos album...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 23:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ There's only one BOC single that ever gets played on the radio in England and I'm glad to say you just singlehandedly propelled the song into the Top 5. Smile

1. Astronomy (24 points) - All versions
4. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (14 points)
5. Black Blade (11 points)
5. Cities on Flame (11 points)
5. Flaming Telepaths (11 points) 

8. The Vigil (9 points)
8. Last Days of May (9 points)

I only know 2 songs by them (number 1 and 4) . Veteran Of Psychic Wars does get played on Planet Rock Radio which Is where I heard it.

Jeremy Vine played Reaper as his first song on Radio 2 just after we went into lock downLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 00:18
^^ Jeremy Vine obviously has great taste in music, and that was an excellent choice of song in the current climate of fear of death from a killer virus. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>