Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Book
    Posted: June 06 2020 at 03:50
Prog Gnostic is a new book, created to help people explore Prog Rock. It is centred around over 300 reviews of the greatest Prog albums ever, with background information on bands, sub-genres and other topics. It is a colourful hyper-connected PDF with hundreds of links directly to Spotify and YouTube, so you can read about albums and click the links to hear the albums. It also has many links to ProgArchives, Discogs and Wikipedia.

It is mostly designed for people who want to expand their Prog listening, but anyone who likes Prog might enjoy this book.

It has taken 18 months to create, listen and research. I am releasing it for free as a PDF. I hope you enjoy it. Please download and enjoy, and feel free to pass on. I'd love any feedback anyone might have.

Edited by DocDan - June 06 2020 at 09:39
The purple music project is an instrumental prog rock project.
http://www.purplemusic.org

Dan
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:15
I tried to download but only the picture downloaded. I was not able to view any of the actual content.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 08:48
Hi,

I guess we have to deduce from the picture how good the book is ... not sure I can read invisible books, though! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:41
Many apologies for my stupidity. The link in the post above should now be fixed. I will also put it here (and check it again) just in case.

Dan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:38
Ok, so I just went through the entire thing very quickly. A few thoughts. First of all the graphics and presentation are amazing. The reviews(while I didn't read all of them thoroughly of course)seem to be very well done also. Also, I would say about 99 percent of the albums in the main section are essential for pretty much any prog fan. 

My only criticism is that it sounds like you don't really care much for some of the albums listed(especially the ones listed alphabetically after the main section)since some of the reviews seem to be lukewarm at best(this is just based on what I observed rather quickly though). Also, I really thought I was going to see Going for the One by Yes in there but somehow it didn't quite make the cut. :P Oh well. Really great job nonetheless! 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 06 2020 at 19:39
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:47
Thank you, I'm glad you appreciated it.

Yes it's true there were some I liked more than others, including in the extras that I included to round things out a bit. In those extra ones I didn't really want to do too much to expand on bands already included, although that kind of flies in the face of the fact that I included 90125, Genesis and Invisible touch, and some King Crimson....  oh I don't know I guess I had to draw a line somewhere.

The question of what should be included in something like this is tricky. I am not at all surprised that people will call me on this. As I was formatting it up after all the writing I was wondering, for example, if I should have put an album by The Flower Kings in. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Dan
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 06:36
Hi,

Thanks, this kinda blind old man can finally get a touch or two ... looks really nice and the list of bands at the top is nice, for a change, although I am of the opinion that it is missing things like Sadistic Mika Band, and a few other bands from around the world that were major ... and not quite just from another country that nobody knows ... Japan in those days, and these days, probably had the highest output of music of all kinds.

The only other comment so far, is the one about "krautrock" which is better as a definition, and includes the comment from Edgar Froese on that one special (about the teachers and parents) ... however, one of its better points is badly missed ... it was not a "rock scene" alone ... it was an ART's SCENE and there are many film makers, writers, playwrights and other folks that were also involved. Werner Herzog filmed AD2 and then went on to use Popol Vuh in many films ... and just so you know, the best example of all is the difference between Damo Suzuki and Klaus Kinski ... absolutely none ... one improvised to a microphone and the other improvised to a film camera. AND, there was a reason why Wim Wenders used so many musicians in his films, many of them German. 

Sadly, because so many folks into rock music, learning, seeing and appreciating films, plays, or other materials is not going to happen ... otherwise they would be mentioned a little more. 

"Krautrock" by itself, makes no sense ... it would be impulsive or/and just another stoned trip at the Fillmore and nothing more (which we know is not the case ... there are many folks that were not doing drugs already in that scene!!!!!!!!!!!!) ... but as an art scene with other examples, it comes alive a lot better and explains its work way better. It may even have had its source, more than likely, in many Fassbinder films that were also known to be improvised, which would have provided an interesting idea to do with instruments and other disciplines. However, Davis Stubbs' book has another suggestion that is very different but just as valuable ... there were at least 4 or 5 different "scenes" in music, and not all of them were "krautrock" at all ... some were revolutionary and just plain weird for the sake of weird (in my book!). 

Thus a "generalization" about this music, leaves behind a lot of musicians that helped bring it up and about, the best known of which would be TD and KS. And I would imagine that Peter Michael Hamel, would not like the intro either ... in one of his books he trashed all music that had any connection to popular music! 

My thoughts lean towards the fact that a lot of the "krautrock" folks had already turned against the drugs, specially after the commune days that AD2 specifies ... and dumps on in their first album ... the main cut and title is pretty obvious ... you get stoned, and then you have a party full of everything and excess available, a veritable orgy. But some folks think that the album is about an imaginary something or other, when it seems clear that Renate and other women, were tired of being taken advantage of, left and right and up and down. When one combines that with the school folks (CAN, AGITATION FREE, BETWEEN, TD, KS), who would not exactly be able to go to school stoned, the scene takes on a much different look. 

Edited by moshkito - June 07 2020 at 06:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by DocDan DocDan wrote:

Thank you, I'm glad you appreciated it.

Yes it's true there were some I liked more than others, including in the extras that I included to round things out a bit. In those extra ones I didn't really want to do too much to expand on bands already included, although that kind of flies in the face of the fact that I included 90125, Genesis and Invisible touch, and some King Crimson....  oh I don't know I guess I had to draw a line somewhere.

The question of what should be included in something like this is tricky. I am not at all surprised that people will call me on this. As I was formatting it up after all the writing I was wondering, for example, if I should have put an album by The Flower Kings in. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

As much as I like the Flower Kings and as good as some of their albums were I'm not really sure they had any albums that stood out in a way that it would make it easy to choose one over the other. In other words it would be sort of a like domino thing(if you put this one in then you have to include this one, etc). That said I guess I personally would probably chose space revolver but it's by no means the only solid album in their discography.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:54
Congratulations for the work!

I've gone through it and it's really nicely done, with lots of attention to design and layout.

DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, this kinda blind old man can finally get a touch or two ... looks really nice and the list of bands at the top is nice, for a change, although I am of the opinion that it is missing things like Sadistic Mika Band, and a few other bands from around the world that were major ... and not quite just from another country that nobody knows ... Japan in those days, and these days, probably had the highest output of music of all kinds.

The only other comment so far, is the one about "krautrock" which is better as a definition, and includes the comment from Edgar Froese on that one special (about the teachers and parents) ... however, one of its better points is badly missed ... it was not a "rock scene" alone ... it was an ART's SCENE and there are many film makers, writers, playwrights and other folks that were also involved. Werner Herzog filmed AD2 and then went on to use Popol Vuh in many films ... and just so you know, the best example of all is the difference between Damo Suzuki and Klaus Kinski ... absolutely none ... one improvised to a microphone and the other improvised to a film camera. AND, there was a reason why Wim Wenders used so many musicians in his films, many of them German. 

Sadly, because so many folks into rock music, learning, seeing and appreciating films, plays, or other materials is not going to happen ... otherwise they would be mentioned a little more. 

"Krautrock" by itself, makes no sense ... it would be impulsive or/and just another stoned trip at the Fillmore and nothing more (which we know is not the case ... there are many folks that were not doing drugs already in that scene!!!!!!!!!!!!) ... but as an art scene with other examples, it comes alive a lot better and explains its work way better. It may even have had its source, more than likely, in many Fassbinder films that were also known to be improvised, which would have provided an interesting idea to do with instruments and other disciplines. However, Davis Stubbs' book has another suggestion that is very different but just as valuable ... there were at least 4 or 5 different "scenes" in music, and not all of them were "krautrock" at all ... some were revolutionary and just plain weird for the sake of weird (in my book!). 

Thus a "generalization" about this music, leaves behind a lot of musicians that helped bring it up and about, the best known of which would be TD and KS. And I would imagine that Peter Michael Hamel, would not like the intro either ... in one of his books he trashed all music that had any connection to popular music! 

My thoughts lean towards the fact that a lot of the "krautrock" folks had already turned against the drugs, specially after the commune days that AD2 specifies ... and dumps on in their first album ... the main cut and title is pretty obvious ... you get stoned, and then you have a party full of everything and excess available, a veritable orgy. But some folks think that the album is about an imaginary something or other, when it seems clear that Renate and other women, were tired of being taken advantage of, left and right and up and down. When one combines that with the school folks (CAN, AGITATION FREE, BETWEEN, TD, KS), who would not exactly be able to go to school stoned, the scene takes on a much different look. 

Thanks for taking the time to write all this, I found it very interesting. I know generalisations can be difficult, but are often necessary.  

I suspect that one of the reasons that the music of Krautrock is more well known than other arts aspects that may be been connected, is that music, especially instrumental music, does not suffer from the same language barrier that some other things do.  

Thanks for taking a look

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As much as I like the Flower Kings and as good as some of their albums were I'm not really sure they had any albums that stood out in a way that it would make it easy to choose one over the other. In other words it would be sort of a like domino thing(if you put this one in then you have to include this one, etc). That said I guess I personally would probably chose space revolver but it's by no means the only solid album in their discography.

Deciding what should go into the extra reviews was definitely one of the hardest things to work out for the book. The main set of reviews was totally drawn from the lists I had found (and so was easy). As I said in the book, I was trying to complete the picture a bit, and I definitely "felt" my way through that. Inevitably it is very biased by my own limited knowledge and experience. I agree that there is a lot of similarity in the Flower Kings albums, and they are somewhat similar to modern Kaipa and Transatlantic. I like them a lot but it's hard to pick out stand-out classics.  The Sea Within is many of the same people, but sets a new level as far as I am concerned, which makes me hope that there is much more good stuff to come.

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Congratulations for the work!

I've gone through it and it's really nicely done, with lots of attention to design and layout.

Thank you, you are so kind. I spent a lot of time trying to make it look nice, and is the first time I have done something like that on this scale. 

Dan
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 12:41
That's impressive for working on it for just 18 months. I'd be lucky if I got 20 pages out of 18 months. I don't have any faults with the way you laid this out or what you have covered. What I find interesting about the way you formatted this, is that it really has a modular-like feel to it. What I mean by that, is if you want to add more reviews in the second grouping of albums after the Top 238 section, you can just insert them without having to change any of the pages around the insertion and the flow will remain intact.

The other thing that caught my attention is I appreciated that you inserted some lesser-known or more obscure albums, even some that aren't typically considered prog. I'm a big fan of throwing curve balls at readers and I think by doing this, it might actually get some readers to want to explore the more obscure stuff out there (and there is much of it). There were several that I hadn't heard of myself, and I probably will go back and read your reviews more closely (I only gave this a browse-over, it's over 500 pages!).

I also like that you were critical of an album and why you were critical about it. We don't all agree on what is the Top 100 or 500 or whatever. And being honest about why you don't like can be helpful to a listener in more ways than one.

The only suggestions I can make are:
1. You could expand the Prog Live section, by inserting reviews of live albums you think might be helpful for the folks you're writing this for.
2. An index or indexes at the end of the book (maybe one for the albums and one for the groups). I don't know enough about PDF books to know if by doing this and having the index link to specific pages, whether those links remain intact when you insert pages at a later date (I'm thinking in terms of it being modular as I noted above). I can see this being a lot of work and potentially being a big hassle, so scrap the idea if it isn't feasible. 
3. If you ever do want to expand this book, having a revisions page might be useful so the reader knows that they have the latest edition. With the way you designed this, I'm thinking like a colophon-style page, either before or after the legal page.

Given the three suggestions above, you may also want to consider how big you want this book. Maybe the 500+ pages you have it at is where you want it. Will someone read a 1000+ page book? I think it depends on who you're writing for and how much time you want to spend on it. In other words, you can get carried away. But if it's a labor of love, who am I or anyone else to tell you how big of a book you should make? I happen to like big books, but I'm weird like that.

Overall, I'm really impressed. Great job!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:33
You include a brief section about the musical instruments frequently used in Prog.
I wonder if you might like my book "The Musical Instruments of Progressive Rock: An Illustrated Guide"

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 18:31

Thanks for taking the time to write all this, I found it very interesting. I know generalisations can be difficult, but are often necessary.  
I suspect that one of the reasons that the music of Krautrock is more well known than other arts aspects that may be been connected, is that music, especially instrumental music, does not suffer from the same language barrier that some other things do.  

Thanks for taking a look

Hi,

Possibly, however, film lasts a lot longer and is going to have a longer history than the pop music. Some musicians will survive it better, like EF/TD, KS and probably another one or two, however, in film alone, the listing of directors is much bigger and better known INTERNATIONALLY. Both Fassbinder, Herzog and Wenders are shown in Film School classes. I don't see academic schools talking about "krautrock", and the main reason for it, in my non-existant book ... is that we (specially here!!!) do not consider it an art form that needs more respect and understanding ... we continually talk about it from a "popular" and "commercial" point of view, and both of those have been known for a long time to not exactly have been the best and most well defined of all arts ... one can almost say it's almost all just another "song".

For TD, KS and the major film makers, it's not quite about ... just another film. They do their work because it is their life ... and the major bands in "krautrock" had more on par with those folks than they did rock'n'roll'rs ... specially when you consider the school in Berlin making it clear they wanted music that did not have any western music similarities.

Again, it's a lot more ... I wish that we all could see these things more than just another song ... and a lot of that early music was not about a song ... it was about a moment in time, and experience. And for some bizarre thoughts and ideas, people seem to think you can only have that when you are ripped on dope and at a Fillmore or in London in their favorite district!

Even Jim Morrison screamed ... "WAKE UP" .... and his words behind it were major. But we stopped listening a long time ago, right?
www.pedrosena.com
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

That's impressive for working on it for just 18 months. I'd be lucky if I got 20 pages out of 18 months. I don't have any faults with the way you laid this out or what you have covered. What I find interesting about the way you formatted this, is that it really has a modular-like feel to it. What I mean by that, is if you want to add more reviews in the second grouping of albums after the Top 238 section, you can just insert them without having to change any of the pages around the insertion and the flow will remain intact.

The other thing that caught my attention is I appreciated that you inserted some lesser-known or more obscure albums, even some that aren't typically considered prog. I'm a big fan of throwing curve balls at readers and I think by doing this, it might actually get some readers to want to explore the more obscure stuff out there (and there is much of it). There were several that I hadn't heard of myself, and I probably will go back and read your reviews more closely (I only gave this a browse-over, it's over 500 pages!).

I also like that you were critical of an album and why you were critical about it. We don't all agree on what is the Top 100 or 500 or whatever. And being honest about why you don't like can be helpful to a listener in more ways than one.

The only suggestions I can make are:
1. You could expand the Prog Live section, by inserting reviews of live albums you think might be helpful for the folks you're writing this for.
2. An index or indexes at the end of the book (maybe one for the albums and one for the groups). I don't know enough about PDF books to know if by doing this and having the index link to specific pages, whether those links remain intact when you insert pages at a later date (I'm thinking in terms of it being modular as I noted above). I can see this being a lot of work and potentially being a big hassle, so scrap the idea if it isn't feasible. 
3. If you ever do want to expand this book, having a revisions page might be useful so the reader knows that they have the latest edition. With the way you designed this, I'm thinking like a colophon-style page, either before or after the legal page.

Given the three suggestions above, you may also want to consider how big you want this book. Maybe the 500+ pages you have it at is where you want it. Will someone read a 1000+ page book? I think it depends on who you're writing for and how much time you want to spend on it. In other words, you can get carried away. But if it's a labor of love, who am I or anyone else to tell you how big of a book you should make? I happen to like big books, but I'm weird like that.

Overall, I'm really impressed. Great job!

Thanks! That's really nice praise, it makes me feel all glowy inside Big smile

I have created this in Microsoft Publisher, and the internal links all stay perfectly intact as you add things, which is great. At the moment I am considering it to be "done", (unless I get alerted of glaring errors that really need to be fixed), but it would be possible to expand it if I wanted. It would certainly be tempting, as time goes by, to insert reviews of newer albums, for example. However, I do feel like it is big enough, and there is a danger that if I keep tinkering and adding I will never really finish, and it will just keep growing, and growing. I shall mull this over.

I am also not sure about indices (or indexes, I don't know which is correct) - you are the second person who has mentioned this. My "excuse" for not doing so is that as a PDF you can easily use the search function. My actual reason is more mundane - laziness. The publisher document has got so big that it actually takes about a minute to insert a link now. However, I'll think about it, and thanks for the suggestion.

My next "big" project like this is to go mainstream. I have compiled a list of the 1000 greatest albums of all time (like this book, by combining existing lists). I reckon it will take me about 5 years in total and will be an amazing voyage of discovery. Time I plan to do it as a blog rather than a book.

Thanks again.

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 14:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

You include a brief section about the musical instruments frequently used in Prog.
I wonder if you might like my book "The Musical Instruments of Progressive Rock: An Illustrated Guide"

That is a great book! Thanks for sharing that.

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 14:19

Hi,

Possibly, however, film lasts a lot longer and is going to have a longer history than the pop music. Some musicians will survive it better, like EF/TD, KS and probably another one or two, however, in film alone, the listing of directors is much bigger and better known INTERNATIONALLY. Both Fassbinder, Herzog and Wenders are shown in Film School classes. I don't see academic schools talking about "krautrock", and the main reason for it, in my non-existant book ... is that we (specially here!!!) do not consider it an art form that needs more respect and understanding ... we continually talk about it from a "popular" and "commercial" point of view, and both of those have been known for a long time to not exactly have been the best and most well defined of all arts ... one can almost say it's almost all just another "song".

For TD, KS and the major film makers, it's not quite about ... just another film. They do their work because it is their life ... and the major bands in "krautrock" had more on par with those folks than they did rock'n'roll'rs ... specially when you consider the school in Berlin making it clear they wanted music that did not have any western music similarities.

Again, it's a lot more ... I wish that we all could see these things more than just another song ... and a lot of that early music was not about a song ... it was about a moment in time, and experience. And for some bizarre thoughts and ideas, people seem to think you can only have that when you are ripped on dope and at a Fillmore or in London in their favorite district!

Even Jim Morrison screamed ... "WAKE UP" .... and his words behind it were major. But we stopped listening a long time ago, right?

I'm not really sure of everything you are saying. You obviously know more about the arts in Germany around the Krautrock time than I do, and it's great that you are sharing that knowledge with me. You seemed to first say that it is a shame that the other arts at that time don't get as much recognition as the music, and yet here you rightly point out that these film-makers are studied worldwide. I think you are right that "popular" music is not as recognised academically is it could be, although I think there are degree courses out there where all sorts of rock and pop will be analysed. It has often been the case that populist art forms are not taken as seriously as others, and it is interesting that film has managed to spark academic interest in ways that rock/pop, television, computer games and comic books have not, despite there being some excellent and thoughtful works in all of these areas. I guess you get more academic attention for Citizen Kane than you would for Avengers Assemble.

However, I do think that music, certainly in Prog and related genres, has created a lot of music that is not considered to be "throwaway". And I have had many amazing moments listening to music, I have never been to Filmore, and have never used recreational drugs. 

Dan
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 19:44

However, I do think that music, certainly in Prog and related genres, has created a lot of music that is not considered to be "throwaway". And I have had many amazing moments listening to music, I have never been to Filmore, and have never used recreational drugs. 
Hi,

I appreciate your time and effort ... it is meaningful, but I hope that it wakes you up to a lot of works that made the grade that are not exactly appreciated, and rock music in Germany had many examples of it.

I think that the most important part of it all is taking all this music and "art" away from the hands of pop music reviewers and fan-boys (so to speak), because most of their like/dislike (and their need to say it is all "subjective" to justify their comments!) has nothing to do with the art details ... and this is where I differ from many of these folks, although there are quite a few folks here that are very valuable to me, in this area ... they also saw, and knew a lot of the things that I mention.

But what is strange to me, is seeing the quantity of material that Holger Czukay had stated and posted in the CAN website, about school, and this included many others, that are also being ignored. Edgar Froese, at the very least, had stated some very knowledgeable details about it all, and made a declaration that was important ... but around here, it is like no one saw the 5 parts of the special on the subject (the 6th had too much David Bowie and I think it was scrambled on purpose!), in order to be able to understand it better, than just consider it all about a note, a chord, and the worst ... just a riff! That the bass has to sukk up to ... which Guru Guru made fun of when Mani stated that he doesn't play with anybody except the lead guitarist! And of course, this throws off the "equation" that bass is for rhythm ... not music ... and many folks will intentionally ignore that kind of music because it doesn't sound "right" to them!

Sadly, a lot of these things and comments, but many of those artists, are all getting lost and disappearing ... and many books that are written ... and I am a writer mind you ... is missing the SOURCE ... and what do we have left? ... someone with a blue guitar and an organ, and a lead guitar riff ... like everyone else in rock music has not had that from day 1! 

I hope to be able to pile up enough nickels to buy your book ... what I saw was OK in my book, and I don't want you to feel that I am trashing what you put together ... but I have been, forever, one of the many folks that was THERE, and played all the stuff when it came out ... and most people are simply looking at the stuff in retrospect and comparing it to the stuff they like ... and you don't go to the Louvre to compare the Mona Lisa to a Rembrandt or Vermeer ... and that's all you need to remember ... the arts are all over, everywhere ... it's all a matter of what you see with your eyes, ears and so on ... nothing else!

My work is about who helped who ... and if you read the "Director on Director" series of books, one or two maybe, you will find that these folks talk about what inspired them, and if you go back to Bunuel, it was all about the folks around him for a long time! Until he was able to get away to Mexico and the rest is history!

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2020 at 06:28
www.pedrosena.com
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:19

Hi,

I appreciate your time and effort ... it is meaningful, but I hope that it wakes you up to a lot of works that made the grade that are not exactly appreciated, and rock music in Germany had many examples of it.

I think that the most important part of it all is taking all this music and "art" away from the hands of pop music reviewers and fan-boys (so to speak), because most of their like/dislike (and their need to say it is all "subjective" to justify their comments!) has nothing to do with the art details ... and this is where I differ from many of these folks, although there are quite a few folks here that are very valuable to me, in this area ... they also saw, and knew a lot of the things that I mention.

But what is strange to me, is seeing the quantity of material that Holger Czukay had stated and posted in the CAN website, about school, and this included many others, that are also being ignored. Edgar Froese, at the very least, had stated some very knowledgeable details about it all, and made a declaration that was important ... but around here, it is like no one saw the 5 parts of the special on the subject (the 6th had too much David Bowie and I think it was scrambled on purpose!), in order to be able to understand it better, than just consider it all about a note, a chord, and the worst ... just a riff! That the bass has to sukk up to ... which Guru Guru made fun of when Mani stated that he doesn't play with anybody except the lead guitarist! And of course, this throws off the "equation" that bass is for rhythm ... not music ... and many folks will intentionally ignore that kind of music because it doesn't sound "right" to them!

Sadly, a lot of these things and comments, but many of those artists, are all getting lost and disappearing ... and many books that are written ... and I am a writer mind you ... is missing the SOURCE ... and what do we have left? ... someone with a blue guitar and an organ, and a lead guitar riff ... like everyone else in rock music has not had that from day 1! 

I hope to be able to pile up enough nickels to buy your book ... what I saw was OK in my book, and I don't want you to feel that I am trashing what you put together ... but I have been, forever, one of the many folks that was THERE, and played all the stuff when it came out ... and most people are simply looking at the stuff in retrospect and comparing it to the stuff they like ... and you don't go to the Louvre to compare the Mona Lisa to a Rembrandt or Vermeer ... and that's all you need to remember ... the arts are all over, everywhere ... it's all a matter of what you see with your eyes, ears and so on ... nothing else!

My work is about who helped who ... and if you read the "Director on Director" series of books, one or two maybe, you will find that these folks talk about what inspired them, and if you go back to Bunuel, it was all about the folks around him for a long time! Until he was able to get away to Mexico and the rest is history!

I am enjoying your posts, even though sometimes I struggle to understand your points. From context I deduce that you may be German, and if so, or regardless, if English is not your first language, well done for carrying on such an in-depth discussion in a non-native language. I think though, that there are times that you hint at things and I don't get the hint, or maybe refer to things that are outside my knowledge, like the 5 parts of a special on a subject - was this TV? I don't know of it.

I recognise that I could have gone into much more depth and detail in my book. If I had done, though, it would be a very different book, and the research I would have had to do would have been very different. The intention was to help the proverbial seeker to discover music that is new to them that they would enjoy. Of course I had no desire to mis-represent anything in the process, but I did want to keep context relatively light and simplified and let the music speak for itself.  When writing the reviews, the intent was to give an honest impression of the music in a way that would inform the reader, so they would know what to try and what might suit them. And, yes, there is some flippancy in there as well, I'm sure there are people who would be horrified by what I said about Meshuggah, for instance.

Whether somebody was "there" or not, at the time of a musical or artistic movement, surely is not something under the control of most people. Of course people discover music in retrospect much of the time. Many people are like me in that as they get older they discover more and more different areas of music and the arts and their appreciation deepens. And yes, of course it is true that for some people, the more they know about the context of that music or art, the more they enjoy it, but for many people they find they are able to enjoy music that is new to them without making a deep, academic study of what was happening. I think it is a shame in some ways that contemporary classical music went down the route where it was almost impossible to enjoy without contextual information. Music, however serious the intent, can just be something that somebody puts on in the background while they work, and there should be nothing wrong with that. We shouldn't try to put barriers up to the enjoyment people get from music, no matter how shallow that enjoyment is.

I was very interested in what you said about reviewers justifying their reviews as "it is all subjective". I hope I am not like that. Quality and appreciation are very complex, and this is something I discuss in my job regularly. It is self-evident that different people enjoy different music. It is also self-evident that there is such a thing as quality in creative contexts, and this applies to music. I think, however, that it must be complex, and that actually there are more than one quality parameter that can be considered.  So "good" music depends on what experience you want when listening to it, as background music for working, for dancing to, something with thought-provoking lyrics, songs that express what you are feeling, complex music you can say "hmmm, that's interesting". Yes, a lot of music that finds its way onto the radio is shallow, or lacking in substance in some ways, but even in pop there is good pop and bad pop. It's just that although there may be widespread agreement about what is good and what is not, there are many individual tastes and differences in opinion. 

I'm also quite interested in what you say about bass. As a bassist, myself, I know that bass can be so much more than rhythm, but I think a lot of people don't really notice the bass that much, or don't think about the bass, they more likely feel the bass unconsciously. Because I am a bassist I do notice the bass more than others. I think the bass can play varied roles in music, from laying down a solid, but boring foundation (like in Miles Davis' electric period jazz), to holding down a wicked groove in funk, to pounding out a beat in dance, to being complex and show-offy for Mark King of Level 42, to complex lines like Chris Squire. Probably my favourite bassist is John Deacon of Queen, for whom the bass is at times more like a classical cello, with understated harmonic lines which add an extra element of beauty to the music.  

I think the last thing I want to say is, you don't need to pile up any nickels to get my book - it is free. Please download and enjoy.

I'm looking forward to what you come up with next. 

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>