Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [50.00%]
7 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Yesterday" or "Waterloo Sunset"
    Posted: June 06 2020 at 05:56
Two great songs that revolves around nostalgia and memories. Imortalized melodies are the core in each song and makes them such forces of what songwriting can be about.

Edited by Icarium - June 06 2020 at 07:06
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:29
Really love both, but itīs "Waterloo Sunset", really great piece from the greatest Kinks-album IMO. I think this is little bit unfair to Beatles when putting against their song from 1965 to Kinks song of 1967. But on the other hand if you had put here Yesterday vs Tired Of Waiting For You, I have voted also Kinks, because thatīs also my big faves from them.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:36
In most cases I would vote for the Beatles when matched against the Kinks, but not now.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:28
Yesterday....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:31
Yesterday, today, and every day. Smile
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 18:14
Both classic tunes; Yesterday covered by more artists. Waterloo Sunset paints a picture; Yesterday doesn't.
"Terry and Julie" over "I" i.e. presumably McCartney and "nameless girl"?

Yep, Waterloo Sunset....so much more depth, especially lyrically.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:41
Yesterday by a mile.

Waterloo Sunset is a great song, but in all honesty I was never really intrigued by The Kinks. I also think the musical emotions in Yesterday go much deeper.

Edited by The Anders - June 06 2020 at 19:43
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 23:14
Both brilliant pieces of work but went for Waterloo Sunset. For me Yesterday is really a solo Paul number with a George Martin string arrangement while the Kinks tune is a real collective group performance. Although the prevailing wisdom has both it and Yesterday as paeans to a preferable past, Ray Davies' 60's classic actually started life somewhat ironically as 'Liverpool Sunset' and the source of his nostalgia is ambiguous: he looked out on the River Thames from his hospital bed at St Thomas's hospital while seriously ill as a child, the train he took to Art School took him past it and he met his first wife along the Embankment at Waterloo. The place clearly has a very strong pull for the song's author. As a slightly tongue in cheek asideWink, the lyrics can also be read as that of a soul in limbo, unable to pass over peacefully into the afterlife and destined to haunt forever this commuter location (as long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset, I am in paradise)

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 06 2020 at 23:24
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 01:00
Waterloo Sunset, easily the Kinks finest moment for me. I do love songs that are nostalgic about a specific place. 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 04:46
"Yesterday".  I like some things by the Kinks but I'm not their biggest fan.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Both classic tunes; Yesterday covered by more artists. Waterloo Sunset paints a picture; Yesterday doesn't.
"Terry and Julie" over "I" i.e. presumably McCartney and "nameless girl"?

Yep, Waterloo Sunset....so much more depth, especially lyrically.

This. Never been a great fan of "Yesterday".
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:36
I'm not understanding the comparison. Yesterday is basically an acoustic solo number from 1965, while the Kink's number is a full band composition from 1967. By the time 1967 came around, The Beatles had completely morphed from where they were in 1965. If you were going to choose a Paul McCartney composition that would be a direct one-to-one comparison to Waterloo Sunset, it would be Penny Lane, and that would include the memory and reminiscence aspect you mentioned.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 07 2020 at 10:39
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:00
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm not understanding the comparison. Yesterday is basically an acoustic solo number from 1965, while the Kink's number is a full band composition from 1967. By the time 1967 came around, The Beatles had completely morphed from where they were in 1965. If you were going to choose a Paul McCartney composition that would be a direct one-to-one comparison to Waterloo Sunset, it would be Penny Lane, and that would include the memory and reminiscence aspect you mentioned.
I can pick Penny Lane next, i was just curious who would be the most popular and favourote songs out of these two melodies. Two of the most popular songs of their time. With a nostalgic natire.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 00:23
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Yesterday by a mile.

Waterloo Sunset is a great song, but in all honesty I was never really intrigued by The Kinks. I also think the musical emotions in Yesterday go much deeper.

Maybe you should investigate the Kinks, you may just become intrigued.....one of their greatest tracks here..

Post Reply Post Reply