Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which are yr favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [53.97%]
29 [46.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu
    Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:05
Again 6 masterpieces, all released in Track-label originally (and it´s UK version of Are You Experienced, so no Purple Haze, Hey Joe & the Wind Cries Mary in that). I believe this time Who has more chance to win! I put now Who´s Next, so I have much easier to vote Hendrix this time.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:14
Hendrix. A force of nature.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:33
Gimme Hendrix!!!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:11
Dahh...Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:37
I get more mileage out of the Who than Jimi. It's just that I prefer their songs; this says nothing about the musicianship.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:52
well... the Experience was no Beatles..  

so I'll take the Who albums any day of the week.. and twice on Saturday
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:13
not a huge fan of either but understand their importance---chose The Who 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:45
Wouldn't having the Who albums my generation, a quick one and Sell Out go against the JHE albums make more sense?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Wouldn't having the Who albums my generation, a quick one and Sell Out go against the JHE albums make more sense?
And Who you think obviously going to win that poll?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:55
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Dahh...Smile
LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:24
The choice is obvious: just take a look at my profile picture. I'd much rather experience the Jimi Hendrix albums any day of the week and three times on Sunday. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 06 2020 at 13:27
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:44
The Who
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:58
Extremely difficult choice

the weaker albums are Tommy and Axis . The only two albums I still listen to are Ladyland and Quadrophenia.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:20
The Who by far. Jimi Hendrix may be a mythical virtuoso and I don't deny his great talent, but unfortunately, he does not hit the right string with me very often.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:30
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

And Who you think obviously going to win that poll?

We'll never know. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:31
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The Who by far. Jimi Hendrix may be a mythical virtuoso and I don't deny his great talent, but unfortunately, he does not hit the right string with me very often.

How about the left string? After all, he was left handed. Wink
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 15:13

Yeah, kind of bizarre to compare, particularly since Who's Next (1971) and Quadrophenia (1973) came out after Hendrix died (September 18, 1970).

It should at least be A Quick One (1967), The Who Sell Out (1967) and Tommy (1969) for a more direct reference point to Experience (1967), Axis (1967) and Ladyland (1968). Who knows what Hendrix would have released by the time Quadrophenia came out in 1973.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:12
Hendrix death is and was a great tragedy. yet he deliverd much while he lived. Both units packs a ton of energy which is hardly matched by anyone.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:23
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Hendrix death is and was a great tragedy. yet he deliverd much while he lived. Both units packs a ton of energy which is hardly matched by anyone.

I wouldn't go quite that far..  it would have been interesting to see who Hendrix worked with in the years to come. Face it.. the Experience was a good backing band for the 'show'. but was already obvious before he left that he wanted upgrades around him. I often thought considering the massive massive MASSIVE influence of Sly Stone on what came musically in the 70's.. I think that is the direction he would have moved in..  hell.. nearly everyone else did. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:51
Hendrix was brilliantly creative, but one album alone wins this poll for The Who. Who's Next. If that were taken out, then Jimi wins hands down.

Edited by Progfan1958 - June 06 2020 at 16:52
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>