Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [45.83%]
26 [54.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)
    Posted: June 08 2020 at 05:18
Closing of these polls of the three great artists. Here are two great doubles from 1968. Which you take? I´ll take Hendrix! I hope voters have heard these both whole through. And no need to think about what is more important, just your favorite!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 06:03
Two very bloated and patchy albums that for me could have been whittled down to excellent singles to shed some of the adipose tissue. The reported problem with Electric Ladyland were the vast armies of hangers on who crowded the studio while it was being recorded which couldn't have been conducive to workflow etc The Beatles has some brilliant songs and some plain vanilla stinkers: Ob-la-Di Ob-la-Dah, Don't Pass Me By, Why Don't We do It In the Road, Birthday, Helter Skelter, Revolution 9 and Savoy Truffle always leave this rodent completely cold. All said and done, voted for the Beatles if only through there being less aimless noodling on the White Album than Electric Ladyland. Both often trotted out by self appointed arbiters of impeccable taste as peerless masterpieces. Beats me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 06:51
Two more albums I’ve never heard !!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 06:56
I have enjoyed these two albums for a long time, for very different reasons, but at the end of the day, I prefer Electric Ladyland.

Edited by Manuel - June 08 2020 at 06:56
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 07:36
I went with the White Album because while I really like many songs on Electric Ladyland, the long extended tracks like "Voodoo Chile" and "1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" are pretty tough to get through for me personally.

As for the White Album, some songs are indeed substandard ("Obla di Obla da" et al), and it is by no means a homogeneous album. But its overall collage-like character has always fascinated me. Btw. Unlike many others I have "Revolution 9" as one of my favourite tracks of the album.

Edited by The Anders - June 08 2020 at 07:40
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 08:45
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Closing of these polls of the three great artists. Here are two great doubles from 1968. Which you take? I´ll take Hendrix! I hope voters have heard these both whole through. And no need to think about what is more important, just your favorite!

I dont wanna take the place of Logan but I think that these polls (very interesting for me) should be open in the proto-prog or prog-related section, not here.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 08:48
The Beatles...

Thumbs Up and proto prog is the right place.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 09:30
Hendrix no contest
Not one bad song on Ladyland... Clap

.....which is much more than I can say for The Beatles (I find it a fairly poor album, FTM)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Hendrix no contest
Not one bad song on Ladyland... Clap

.....which is much more than I can say for The Beatles (I find it a fairly poor album, FTM)

ClapClap
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Two more albums I’ve never heard !!

Two albums I've heard and have no real wish to hear again. The White Album has about 3 tracks I enjoy and Electric Ladyland about 4.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 11:01
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I dont wanna take the place of Logan but I think that these polls (very interesting for me) should be open in the proto-prog or prog-related section, not here.
Don´t worry, not going to open these kind any more.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 11:08
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I went with the White Album because while I really like many songs on Electric Ladyland, the long extended tracks like "Voodoo Chile" and "1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" are pretty tough to get through for me personally.

As for the White Album, some songs are indeed substandard ("Obla di Obla da" et al), and it is by no means a homogeneous album. But its overall collage-like character has always fascinated me. Btw. Unlike many others I have "Revolution 9" as one of my favourite tracks of the album.
Long "Voodoo Chile" is one of my fav Hendrix pieces (absolutely incredible solos), also always loved 1983. Ladyland is masterpiece to me. White Album is my least fav of Beatles after Rubber Soul-albums, some fillers in it, but anyway really great album. Least fav used to be Let It Be, but started to like it much more past few years.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 12:43
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I have enjoyed these two albums for a long time, for very different reasons, but at the end of the day, I prefer Electric Ladyland.

This expresses my view as well. Handshake Both albums have their experimental aspects in different ways, but I will take 1983 over Revolution #9 any day. The White Album shows a band starting to go off in different directions individually while Electric Ladyland demonstrates an ascension of Jimi's vision.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:29
No thanks on the Jimi record. I'll take The Beatles all day!!!
The Prog Corner
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:50
two words.

Revolution #9

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 15:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

two words.

Revolution #9

Turn me on dead man......
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 16:37
One of the hardest decisions Ive had to make on this website actually... went with the White Album, if nothing else at least I was vote #9 LOL

Two great double albums that both have a few unnecessary tracks but Ladylands got more pointless filler IMO. I think the argument could be made that the entire White Album is "filler" due to the collage-like "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" attitude taken by the band this time around, which is exactly why I love it so much. Its quintessentially "f*ck you, we're the Beatles" and that is why its my favorite record of theirs. Just pure and honest expression. 
The most dangerous man in America.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 16:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

two words.

Revolution #9

Turn me on dead man......

I buried Paul......
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 01:06
Although a double album, it's pretty hard for Jimi to compete against three Beatles solo albums (McCartney, Lennon and Harrison) in the fractured White Album. Actually I'll take Electric Ladyland over the Paul McCartney solo album in the White Album, but have the John Lennon and George Harrison solo albums contained in the White Album ahead of Electric Ladyland.

Edited by iluvmarillion - June 09 2020 at 01:09
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 01:48
The White Album is the sort of garden party album I’d put on to have playing in the back whilst barbecueing and wooing women. The Jimi one is an album I put on and attentively listen to
Jimi all day long
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>