Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the closest the Beatles got to prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which is the proggiest Beatles song?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.39%]
1 [1.69%]
7 [11.86%]
1 [1.69%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.08%]
17 [28.81%]
3 [5.08%]
16 [27.12%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [11.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the closest the Beatles got to prog?
    Posted: June 13 2020 at 19:03
I know the Beatles are listed as proto prog on here but there is no poll option in the proto prog lounge. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 13 2020 at 19:23
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 20:46
Abbery Road side B. It's definitely one of my favorite "songs" by The Beatles. I love how seamlessly it flows.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 21:27
I vote for Happiness Is A Warm Gun; a lot of strange twists and turns in a very small package.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 21:29
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I vote for Happiness Is A Warm Gun; a lot of strange twists and turns in a very small package.

I tend to think of that as one of their heavy songs and while it does have a bunch of time changes I don't typically think of it as prog. Glad to see it mentioned anyway though.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 22:14
A Day In the Life. It IS prog!!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 22:29
Went for 'Other'.  You Give Me Your Money.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 22:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Isn't that part of the side two Abbey Road medley though?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 22:45
I forgot to list I am the walrus. Oh well.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 22:51
They came pretty close a lot of times. They ran the gamut on psych rock minus most of the soloing, so some of it was bound to start sounding a bit proggy. I voted for A Day In The Life, but Happiness Is A Warm Gun, The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill, Revolution 9, I Want You (She's So Heavy), side 2 of Abbey Road, and I guess Within You, Without You all get pretty close. I Am The Walrus tends to scan closer to psych than prog for me.

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - June 13 2020 at 22:51
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 00:17
A Day In The Life was the song that got reference by Robert Fripp and others as a big inspiration. I was tempted to go for Tomorrow Never Knows.

Check out this version

Edited by richardh - June 15 2020 at 15:24
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 00:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Isn't that part of the side two Abbey Road medley though?

Oh yes!  Won't be able to change my vote now. Ouch
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 02:13
Agree about Warm Gun, though I'm voting for Within You Without You. Two other great raga sounding tracks by them would be Love You To and Inner Light.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 02:43
Eleanor Rigby always had an early progressive feel to it for me.

I'm by no means a Beatles historian, however!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 02:52
Abbey Road's flipside... or A Day In THe Life.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 02:55
Interesting question with quite a few possible answers: Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day in the Life, I am the Walrus, Revolution 9, Abbey Road side 2 medley a.o. ...

But the first candidate I thought of was Happiness is a Warm Gun and another one, which I tend not to include in the Abbey Road side 2 medley, is Here Comes the Sun, which has some time signature changes as well.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 03:01
The Beatles were prog in a different way. I would go at this by album, not by track. Their proggiest album (and in my opinion definitely a prog album) is "The White Album". It is the sheer variety of this album that makes it prog. An album can in my opinion be prog even if there is not a single track on it that you might call prog.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 14 2020 at 03:03

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 03:31
What is the closest prog got to the progressivity of Revolution 9? (And, relative to its day, TNK, A Day in the Life, etc.?)
TNK by the way will still sound fresh in 2050. So will I Am the Walrus and several others. Match that, prog!

Edited by Lewian - June 14 2020 at 03:34
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 04:01
Walrus
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 04:12
Good examples for albums that are prog without any (or hardly any) tracks on them being prog are "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters" and "Lucky Leif and the Longships" by Robert Calvert.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 06:04
I once watched a video that claimed that "Eleanor Rigby" accidently invented prog. I'm not sure if I would say that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>