Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fracture by KC ; Is Fripp a god?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fracture by KC ; Is Fripp a god?
    Posted: June 16 2020 at 10:12
What do you think about it? Isn't it marvelous?

I wondered also, do you guys know if some band (from today or yesterday) did some songs like Fracture or the Lark's series?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 10:17
Good song, but there are plenty of songs released in the last ten years that are better.
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Good song, but there are plenty of songs released in the last ten years that are better.

Do you have any example?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:29
My favorite KC song.

A god? No.
A wizard? Probably.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:48

Fripp a god? Of course. Only gods create things and Fripp created Symphonic prog.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Do you have any example?
I could list plenty but what I enjoy doesn't mean you will. Starless is much better.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 12:31
Fracture is a notoriously difficult piece for guitar players. Fripp himself said it was "impossible" to play in a 2016 interview.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 12:32
Yes he is.....
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 12:48
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Fracture is a notoriously difficult piece for guitar players. Fripp himself said it was "impossible" to play in a 2016 interview.
Not impossible for this chap.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 13:04
IMO one of the best and most dramatic prog pieces ever, always thought of it as a prog school. It contains a rare balance between meticulous writing and free playing, Starting with the arrangements and masterful ideas, From the drumming to Fripp's phenomenal guitars and Wetton's brilliant bass lines, it's in a league of its own.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 14:22
I like Fracture but it isn't even in my top 10 fave KC songs right now.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 14:29
Definitely the highlight of SABB, though not my favourite KC piece.
Fripp is incredible, but no ‘God’.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 14:32
Fracture is very good, but still down the list of his best material. Starless remains the pinnacle for me.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 14:37
Its semi-sequel "FraKctured" from TCOL is equally daunting on guitar (IMHO), both as a guitarist for over 35 years and having seen Crim perform FraKctured live several times.   

Fracture is fabulous though, quite astonishing considering when it was recorded.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 17:37
I once saw a video clip of Fripp playing the guitar bridge to Fracture, with Bruford playing "drums" on the back of a wooden chair.  It might have been filmed in a hotel room.  

Bruf's "clickety-clack" playing was remarkable, and perfectly in sync with Bob's playing! 

I know Bob personally, he is no God and would not like being discussed in those terms.  However, he ranks as one of the most inventive and creative musical geniuses of history, up there with the big names like Mozart, Beethoven, Bartok etc. IMHO.  

He invented his own guitar tuning (new standard tuning) because he found the old E-A-D-G-B-E tuning to be "limiting" and "arbitrary."  He applied advanced jazz techniques like cross-picking and chordal shapes to rock music, which was (at the time) very much based upon American Blues concepts.  In the 1980s, he brought out the Roland GR-300 guitar synth to the masses in "Discipline," and was a pioneer in guitar sound looping (Frippertronics and Soundscapes). The list could go on.  

Did he write the best, most beautiful songs in the prog universe?  Nah, probably not, except for a few like "Starless."  Did he shake the music world, numerous times?  No doubt.  Thanks, Bob!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 18:57
Yes 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 20:15
Great track by Fripp and KC...not their best though ............

and Bill Murray is a god.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 20:34
I like the song quite a lot, I would call it marvelous......but in noway is Fripp a god
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 20:36
He's not a god. He's a mad scientist. I actually heard a radio dj call him that once. 
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 20:55
Sometimes God hides... Wink

After scratching my head for 15 minutes, I just cannot think of another song/artist similar to Fracture.

Pretty unique stuff!

Except... this, of course:

BTW, this version with re-recorded (and real) drums is much better than the 2000's version on V-drums, IMO.

Edited by projeKct - June 16 2020 at 21:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>