Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you pay attention to the lyrics of prog songs?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you pay attention to the lyrics of prog songs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you pay attention to the lyrics of prog songs?
    Posted: June 17 2020 at 11:05
Personally I love how sometimes it give a sense to the music in itself like in Tull or Genesis songs for example.
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 11:48
Hardly ever, very few bands have good lyricists and they are often cringeworthy. Tull are a notable except, I'd also mention Roy Harper. Most of the music with lyrics I listen to are in languages I don't understand. That's just the way I like it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 11:53
Some are brilliant, some are good, some are bad and some are beyond ridiculous. What I don't connect to are those that try really really hard to write deep lyrics, and fail epic.
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 11:54
I do love me some lyrics, I need a good story with my music.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:02
I pay attention, but the music comes first. If the lyrics are iffy but the music is good, I won't hold it against the song. If the lyrics are great but the music is boring, then I have a problem.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:04
I guess it depends on what music we are talking about, and especially what words are used. The more striking the words, the more I am likely to notice them. I definitely pay attention to the lyrics of Pink Floyd and Genesis, even if I don't always understand them. On the other hand I don't think much about the lyrics by a band like Can (especially not those that are improvised by Damo Suzuki and which are pretty incomprehensible). If the music is in a language I don't understand, such as Italian, I think I will naturally focus more on the music.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:05
And of course, if we speak genres other than prog, the lyrics may be more outstanding than the actual music, like f.e. with Bob Dylan....
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:07
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

And of course, if we speak genres other than prog, the lyrics may be more outstanding than the actual music, like f.e. with Bob Dylan....
Or David Tibet?
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:10
Rarely
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:12
Actually, I paid attention a lot to lyrics when a teen, especially to prog bands like Tull, Supertramp, Genesis, Floyd, Caravan, Crimson, Ange-Atoll, Harmonium, Morse Cide, Rush, FM ... (f**k I even tried understanding Jon's mumbo-jumboLOL)

To the point that I could sing out in concert along with the bands most of the lyrics of my fave songs.

I must say that this interest in lyrics came from my first English teacher in Canada that used Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road to get us interested in a quick learning.
Excellent idea, even if the Fab Fpour's lyrics are not really my faves (hardly the worst either, obladiTongueLOL)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:15
I think vocal melodies are more important as well as having emotion in the delivery. Hence why bands like Harmonium and PFM are able to resonate so well despite me not understanding the words they say. I can appreciate great lyrics, but also just good or average lyrics. When lyrics are bad they can just become a distraction and take away from the music as a whole. I just wrote about this in my Arabs in Aspic review yesterday, great music, but the generally bad lyrics made it a frustrating listen at times. I often get this effect from Neal Morse and Dream Theater as well.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:25
I pay attention to the lyrics in all types of music....if a band has crappy lyrics it affects my appreciation of the music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:27
Generally no, though particularly good or bad lyricS can really pull you in or take you out of a song. Dream Theater routinely has some of the cheesiest lyrics. It took me forever to appreciate The Great Debate precisely because I could not get passed the lame lyrics. While some of the songs on say Passing Light of Day by Pain of Salvations were musically meh but the lyrics elevated them to something I can't listen to without crying. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:56
For me, the lyrics are part of the music, and they should fit each other well, to make a great song.   
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 13:48
I do.
Then there are exceptions (looking at you, Jon Anderson).
Welcome to the middle of the film.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 14:01
I do with Rush because I think their lyrics were great. To a lesser degree I do with:

Yes
Van der Graaf Generator/ Peter Hammill
Marillion
Echolyn
Genesis (although some early Genesis leaves my head spinning)

Beyond those(including Rush of course)not so much but there are exceptions.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 14:02
Not as much as I would like to.  Sadly, most of the time I am multi-tasking so am not listening as closely as I would like.  When time permits however, I do like to sit down with the lyric book and listen along to the lyrics.  My favorite albums are the ones that have good lyrics or tell good stories.  And some people's cheesy lyrics are other people's great lyrics.  It seems that most of the time when listening without the lyric book I can't make out what is being sung so then it becomes about the sound or the melody and how well they integrate with the music.  
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 14:25
Lyrics play a part in the experience but the music is more important to me. How many can say that the lyrics of Yes are stellar?

Plenty of bands have great lyrics. Agree with the Rush mention. Some more....

Big Big Train
Steely Dan
Todd Rundgren
Riverside
Bubblemath
Discipline
Phideaux
Thank You Scientist
Kansas
Bowie
Alice Cooper
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 14:55
I used to but Prog lyrics have gotten so bad (in most cases) that I have turned to French and Italian Prog!!! The lyrics might be equally trite but I'll never know!!!
The Prog Corner
Fresded View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fresded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 15:24
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Personally I love how sometimes it give a sense to the music in itself like in Tull or Genesis songs for example.

very rarely, unless im focusing on the music  by not doing anything else then i usually just ignore the lyrics, but over time i do get to know them, just not their meanings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>