Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV shows you most recently finished watching
    Posted: June 18 2020 at 12:48
TV shows you most recently finished watching, at least until the latest "season", or "series" in the British sense.

While I had seen some of it, I was really late to the party with watching through Twin Peaks. I loved it. I have a subscription to something called Crave with HBO and Showtime on demand, they have the 2017 return series, but I wanted to go back and watch all of the first two seasons (1990) and the 1992 movie Fire Walk with Me (still have that to see).

The first season I adored, the second season was spotty but I enjoyed much more than many, and I thought the third season was quite brilliant (it would test many people's patience). Kyle MacLachlan really shone in that. And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach! Oh wait, sorry, that's Dune.

Before that I pretty much binged The Wactchmen's first series, which I loved too, and is quite timely. I liked the movie version very much.

I thought about doing this as a Twin Peaks appreciation thread, but I only know of a few at PA who have been really into it. Going to watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me soon.

What are some of your most recently completed (at least up to now) TV series?
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:01
Due SouthShocked Complete series from season 1 to 4.

Yeah, I know, it's old... and it's Canadian... but it's fun!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:04
Almost too many to name....but a few of my favorites were:
Supernatural, Lucifer, Longmire, Prodigal Son, Evil, Blacklist, etc...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:25
Bored to Death

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:29
^ I like the look of Bored to Death. Longtime admirer of Ted Danson. Gonna look for it.

^^ Longmire is on my list of things to watch.

Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

Due SouthShocked Complete series from season 1 to 4.

Yeah, I know, it's old... and it's Canadian... but it's fun!

Well, I'm Canadian, and I finally watched all of the original seasons of Twin Peaks which are four years older as well as the 2017 version. I think it's interesting when one finally watched some classic (had actually thought about approaching this topic from that angle, rather like how I was late to Game of Thrones). I caught some of Due South back in its original run. I hadn't remembered it being that old. Paul Gross's Mountie would have made for an interesting team-up with Kyle MacLachlan's FBI special agent Dale Cooper. Twin Peaks featured a Mountie in season two, but it wasn't Paul Gross. ;)

Watching Twin Peaks finally kind of made me feel like I really miseed out back then, but I wasn't quite at that age or place for Water Cooler type discussions. I was quite embarrassed in one of my Uni classes (playwriting) when everyone was talking about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and they seemed very surprised and wary of me because I hadn't followed Twin Peaks. I lost out on some of my artsy cred that day (not that I ever really had any).

My favourite Canadian shows, by the way, have been The Newsroom, Kids in the Hall and LEXX. And I loved SCTV, and Bizarre, as a kid.

Edited by Logan - June 18 2020 at 13:45
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 15:41
I recently started watching season 3 of Stranger Things.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 16:33
Chernobyl - superb!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 16:44
^ Chernobyl is one I've really been planning to getting down to -- maybe I'll start on that on the weekend since I have it freely available with my HBO on demand subscription service. I actually started on it a few weeks ago, but have been holding off really delving into it. I've heard it being praised very highly.

^^ As for Stranger Things, I binged every season soon after they each came out.

I haven't been watching much TV, other than the News, for quite a while, it's good to be getting back into shows, and Twin Peaks got me excited about TV again, as had Fargo before.

Edited by Logan - June 18 2020 at 16:47
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 17:55
^ My students were really pushing me to watch it, but it's taken me till lockdown to give it the attention it deserved!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 19:35
I finished watching 'His Dark Materials' a while back....very good adaptation of Pullman's first book in the series.
I recommend it. I was a bit disappointed in the film Golden Compass some years back.
Haquin
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Chernobyl - superb!

Watched a few excerpts from it on YouTube Wink, pretty interesting. I was actually born and am currently living like 200 km away from Chernobyl. 

What pleased me mostly about the series was that they showed the ordinary and even some not-so-ordinary Soviet people from their positive side, as great, normal, regular, fine persons. 

However, the coal industry minister in real life was a highly respectable person among coal-miners. He was loved by the workers... And those two soldiers with Kalashnikovs... Speaking of some stereotypes. 

Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:04
Chernobyl was excellent, I watched it not long after making this topic.

Most recently I finished watching The Third Day with Jude Law (it's only a six episode miniseries).  And before that Raised by Wolves.

Edited by Logan - October 25 2020 at 11:07
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:11
Just finished Third day also....watching Supernatural since there are only 3 or 4 episodes left.

Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:27
In the last two months:
- The West Wing (Superb! A MUST Watch recommendation)
- Scrubs (Still trying to figure out why the end of season eight was touted as a series finale and then they did a season nine which seem to careen off into the weeds from the first eight seasons)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:10
Just finished the first season of "Raised By Wolves".  Wow!  

The first episode will knock your socks off.  But when you finish it and think back about the first episode, you'll be amazed at the direction the entire series went and you'll realize that first one was only a prelude to what is to come.  Just when you think you know where it's going, it goes somewhere else.  Pretty unpredictable and full of suspense all the way through, especially from episode 5 and beyond.  But by the season finale, you see how most of it all fits together and it leaves you wanting more.  Can't wait for season 2!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:21
I found Raised by Wolves too bleak for me at one point, stopped watching, but then one sleepless night I returned to it and really appreciated it. It's very well done and also look forward to the next season. HBO is very impressive. I have found myself watching my Crave/ HBO/ Showtime Hub more than Netflix (various many Netflix shows feel like they have too many cooks concocting stuff based on what they think they know about the audience to me -- exercises in test marketing or some such thing, as opposed to more auteur visions, if you know what I mean) .

I don't currently have Prime, but I want to watch the second season of the Boys when I can. Not finished, it's still going on, but I watched the first episode of the new series of Fargo the other day (season four with Chris Rock),
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 11:39
I've been working on sci-fi series that I missed when they were originally on the air. I finished watching Firefly and the follow-up Serenity film about a month ago. Currently watching Farscape and just finished season 2.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I've been working on sci-fi series that I missed when they were originally on the air. I finished watching Firefly and the follow-up Serenity film about a month ago. Currently watching Farscape and just finished season 2.

As you like Farscape, have you tried LEXX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRe4nl8ugM

Before joining this forum, I was a member of the Lexx forum (as FunkET just in case anyone from there amazingly stumbles upon this),

Edited by Logan - October 26 2020 at 12:48
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:48
^ Oh LEXX. One of a kind show!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:57
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ Oh LEXX. One of a kind show!

It's perverse, dark, funny and sexy. Rather like the debates here on "Which is better, Yes or Genesis?", we would debate "Who is hotter, Zev (Eva Habermann) or Xev (Xenia Seeburg)?" Then there was bowl of goo Zev which got me going.

Edited by Logan - October 26 2020 at 12:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>