Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:37
^What year is the show, I can't seem to find it?

Never mind...found it.

Edited by JD - June 09 2021 at 15:35
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 05:27
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Also finnished Roadkillstarring Hugh Laurie, very gripping and tense political sceme series, sadly no plans for seccond season.

Just finished, great political satire with a nod or two to Yes Minister. I loved Saskia Reeves as his wife (hit a man where it really hurts - in his pocket) and a fantastic turn by the late great Helen McCrory as the PM. So sad she has left us , true acting royalty if ever there was.
9/10
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 20:17
Finished Suits, loved it. Now watching Oz.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 07:19
I've been on a Korean drama kick the last 2 years or so, during the lockdown. All of these have a great sense of *place* - whether it's small-town villages, medieval Seoul, North Korea(!!!!), or nice little neighborhoods where you feel submerged and immersed in, like you really live there and know the people. 

Some of my favorites: Mr. Sunshine (2018) is a great historical anti-imperialist adventure; reminds me a bit of Crouching Tiger (without the fantasy elements though). A lot of people consider it the greatest Korean drama, and I'm inclined to agree. You'll feel like you really know 1890s-era Seoul; like which shops are just down the road, where you'll end up if you turn left up ahead, etc. The hero is an American-raised Korean-born US military officer who is bitter towards Korea, but comes to care about it after he's stationed there and meets a beautiful revolutionary assassin who is a member of the underground trying to drive out Japanese imperialists. It's on Netflix. 

When the Camellia Blooms (2019) is also on Netflix; it's such a quirky comedy; the characters are all offbeat. There's a bit of a Hot Fuzz-like premise: a young dumb cop in Seoul annoys his colleagues because he's too energetic and keen, so he's transferred to a small coastal town; but it just so happens a serial killer is on the loose. He falls instantly in love with the owner of a bar who is the scandal of the town because she's an unmarried bar-owner also raising her child alone. You'll come to care about all the characters, even the gossips who spurned the bar-owning single mother but are starting to accept her and the outsider-cop as well.

Goblin (also known as Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, 2017) is on Viki.com; fans of shows like Supernatural would totally dig this. The geek in me insists that it just might be my favorite. The goblin was a general who lived hundreds of years ago but is cursed to keep on living because of killing so many in battle. The lead actor also starred in the zombie film Train to Busan. His roommate is a grim reaper! (Turns out grim-reapers have to eat and sleep and pay rent like everyone else!) (By the way, Viki.com is free, and it's a fantastic source to find Korean shows - you just have to endure commercials, like on Hulu.)

My Mister (2018) is on Netflix; it's a great little nocturnal flick, takes you both into a company and also a neighborhood in Seoul, such as a local pub where you get to know the patrons. The main lead was the rich bloke in the Oscar-winning film Parasite.

At least two other actors in Parasite play roles in what in my opinion is the greatest Korean drama of 2020, Crash Landing On You, also on Netflix. It's a great premise: a woman reaching the peak of her career decides to celebrate by hang-gliding; but a storm sweeps her over the DMZ and into North Korea! This will show you North Korea in a way you'd never expect. Yes, you see corruption and power black-outs and poverty, but you also see a simpler life that we also often long to go back to, and by the end you really love the North Korean characters you've met (at least, most of them). Oh, and it's a comedy, and quite funny. North Korean defectors were hired as consultants, so the authenticity factor is quite high.

Right now, my wife and I are watching 2017's comedy Strong Girl Bong-soon; it has a great cartoon-like humor; the main character possesses supernatural strength (think Buffy the Vampire Slayer), but she can only use her strength to protect the weak, not for personal gain, or she'll lose it. This same lead actress is in a brand-new show on Vicki.com called Doom at Your Service which we're also enjoying. It's another fantasy like Goblin above, if not quite at that level. Still really good and funny. A terminally-ill young girl, in a fit of anger, curses the world - and a demon-like being, Doom himself, comes to grant her curse. It's a bit like the book of Job: Doom frequently meets with God (a frail, always-ill young girl who prefers to think of herself as the Gardener.) I'm not sure how it turns out though, have to wait till next week for the next 2 episodes to air and be uploaded to Viki.com. 

I've watched tons of other shows, but these are my favorites. Korean dramas all seem to be only a season long, with about 22 episodes. A weakness in Korean shows is that they can start off really good, but can be a sludge to get to the end - but that's not the case in the ones above. And the best ones are immersive - you want to luxuriate in the surroundings, the geography of the place, and spend more time with the usually-large ensemble cast.

Edited by jude111 - June 16 2021 at 07:13
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 00:36
^ Not mentioned but I loved Kingdom and apparently there is a spin off coming

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 02:19
Jordskott (Sweden/Finland/UK/Norway)

Finished the 1st season and it was awesome! In its second season, the whole setting and tone changed drastically and I lost my interest... Also Euro 2020 Football Championship began, so perhaps I'll watch the rest later, or perhaps I'll not. Dunno...
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 07:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Not mentioned but I loved Kingdom and apparently there is a spin off coming

That one was okay, a nice spin on the genre. I'm a sucker for zombie films; Train to Busan is probably the best Korean show in that vein. There's a new one in that vein that I've been watching, also on Netflix, called Sweet Home. It's another cool twist on the zombie genre; in this case, they become flesh-eating mutants that don't die...

Edited by jude111 - June 16 2021 at 07:16
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 07:27
My wife's favourite show is My Mister, she got me to watch that while I requested she watch Twin Peaks with me (My Mister is an excellent show). We also watched Strong Girl Bong-soon together. She stopped with Twin Peaks but I finished My Mister with her (her second viewing of it). She is mostly into Korean dramas.

I loved the Kingdom, especially the first series. Train to Busan is one of my favourite zombie films. Not Korean but I loved the film The Girl With All the Gifts. And for a zombie show, my favourite might be the English Charlie Brooker miniseries Dead Set.

Lots of great Korean films. I love The Host, Parasite (wife got me to watch that as she loved it) and Oldboy was awesome I think, as well as many others.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 07:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My wife's favourite show is My Mister, she got me to watch that while I requested she watch Twin Peaks with me (My Mister is an excellent show). We also watched Strong Girl Bong-soon together. She stopped with Twin Peaks but I finished My Mister with her (her second viewing of it). She is mostly into Korean dramas.

I loved the Kingdom, especially the first series. Train to Busan is one of my favourite zombie films. Not Korean but I loved the film The Girl With All the Gifts. And for a zombie show, my favourite might be the English Charlie Brooker miniseries Dead Set.

Lots of great Korean films. I love The Host, Parasite (wife got me to watch that as she loved it) and Oldboy was awesome I think, as well as many others.

I really, really liked My Mister too! It never gets mentioned as one of the greats, so I'm glad to hear someone else thinks as highly of it as I do.

Strong Girl Bong-soon is a lot of fun. I think we're only about 6 or 7 episodes in so far, but it's very entertaining.

I loved Parasite; I was really happy it won the Oscars, it reminded me a lot of Chabrol classics like La ceremonie, and a style of filmmaking that's become so rare these days.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 07:42
I thought very highly of it and that my wife has watched a huge amount of Korean dramas (when she isn't working and she works very long hours, she's watching Korean shows) and that is her favourite says something to me. And yes, Stron Girl is a lot of fun. I hadn't thought to compare Parasite to Chabrol's films, but I did get something of a French New Wave and old school feel to it. I also was really happy to see it win at the Oscars.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 11:33

I thought very highly of it and that my wife has watched a huge amount of Korean dramas (when she isn't working and she works very long hours, she's watching Korean shows) and that is her favourite says something to me. And yes, Stron Girl is a lot of fun. I hadn't thought to compare Parasite to Chabrol's films, but I did get something of a French New Wave and old school feel to it. I also was really happy to see it win at the Oscars.

What are some of your wife's other favourite K-dramas? I wouldn't mind checking those out;)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 13:00
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

What are some of your wife's other favourite K-dramas? I wouldn't mind checking those out;)

I asked her, she's at work but with COVID her work is mostly done from home, and she mentioned Radiant (also known as The Light in Your Eyes). And she mentioned Crash Landing on You.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 16:38

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I asked her, she's at work but with COVID her work is mostly done from home, and she mentioned Radiant (also known as The Light in Your Eyes). And she mentioned Crash Landing on You.

Oh nice, I see Radiant's on viki.com. I never heard of that one, but since Crash Landing & My Mister are among my favorites, I trust her taste and will definitely check it out:)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 23:59
Mare Of Eastown (2021)

Clearly a vehicle for Kate Winslet to show off her acting chops although most of the time she only has one expression - 'Distant'. Playing the local police chief of a small town , we find out about her personal trauma while she attempts to solve a missing persons mystery as well as the tragic murder of a young single mother. 
It feels a bit contrived in places and the depression and darkness is almost slapped on to make it all seem more meaningful. However the clever complex story and the high production standard that you come to expect from HBO raise this up. 7/10
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 06:54
My Octopus Teacher, documentary (on netflix) 5*
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 14:32
Fear the Walking Dead - Season 6. More of the same old zombie bashing that just gets dafter and dafter
The Handmaid's Tale - Season 4. A good season this one and great finale.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 20:23
Waiting for new episodes of 'The Nevers', 'His Dark Materials', and 'Pennyworth'...as well as 'The Umbrella Academy'. 'Debris' was cancelled though I liked it...reminded me of Fringe and the X Files.
Was disappointed in 'Mare of Eastown'... too depressing and dysfunctional for me. There wasn't one normally adjusted family in the town..everyone had multiple issues. Too much family angst and drama and too little mystery and detective work..
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 01:25
A couple of documentaries just aired about the unsolved murder of French national Sophie Toscan Du Plantier at her cottage in West Cork , Ireland 1996.

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork (Netflix 2021) (3 episodes)
Murder At The Cottage (Sky Crime 2021) (5 episodes)

Both very detailed and excellent accounts featuring interviews with the chief suspect, local journalist Ian Bailey, and key witness Marie Farrell as well as the investigating officers (''Guarda'') at the time.
I felt that the Netflix one seemed to draw a conclusion and left no real doubts while the Sky Crime one, produced by Irishmen Jim Sheridan was a little more objective and allowed you to decide. 8/10 (Netflix) and 9/10 (Sky Crime).

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 05:11
we recently watched a six part series of short films (all around the 10 minutes mark) about a young lesbian girl who has several affairs. each episode was about another lover and how it did not work out; the last episode was about learning to love herself first

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 12:14
Finally finished the 12 Monkeys series. What a roller-coaster ride. Just started the first season of Fringe.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 51>