Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 09:14
We just finished watching "La Promesse", a French crime series in six parts about a cop trying to solve the case of a vanished daughter in 1999 but failing and his daughter who has become a cop 20 years later having to solve another case of a vanished girl. She thinks the two cases are connected. Lots of interesting twists and turns. I'll give it 8 out of 10.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2022 at 01:50
Blackbird 2022 6 episodes

Based on the true story of convicted drug dealer Jimmy Keene (played by Taron Egerton) who is offered a deal by the FBI to be transferred to a high security prison to befriend child rapist/killer Larry Hall in order to obtain details of where the bodies are buried. For this, if successful they will commute his sentence to time served and he will be released. There are also notable performances from Paul Walter Hauser as Larry Hall and Ray Liotta (one of his last) as Big Jim Keene. High on quality but not an easy watch. 9/10 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2022 at 02:42
The Girl in the Mirror (aka Alma) on Netflix.

This is a Spanish teen coming of age story mixed with supernatural qualities. A certain bus crash early on reminded me of another supernatural story and in both, spoilers, the dead can come back. I'm thinking of Les Revenants (One of my fave shows of the past decade), which I do think better than Alma, but they are ultimately very different. Alma is a very attractive show, and a bit silly at times, I think. I expect that there will be a season two, and will be disappointed if there isn't. Enjoyable.

Right after that I started on another supernatural mystery story with Les Revenants qualities on Netflix called Katla. It takes place in Iceland and is beautiful to watch (terrific cinematography). Really enjoying this so far.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2022 at 09:58
Final season of Better Call Saul. I finished it last night. Quite sad that it's finished, but I suppose it had to end sometime. There were no real surprises at the end and seemed a fitting (and justified) conclusion. Overall 9/10, this season 8/10

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 02:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Right after that I started on another supernatural mystery story with Les Revenants qualities on Netflix called Katla. It takes place in Iceland and is beautiful to watch (terrific cinematography). Really enjoying this so far.

I enjoyed that a lot and reviewed it way back. 

In this vein I would also recommend the Aussie supernatural drama Glitch that ran 3 seasons and had a proper ending.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 02:06
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Final season of Better Call Saul. I finished it last night. Quite sad that it's finished, but I suppose it had to end sometime. There were no real surprises at the end and seemed a fitting (and justified) conclusion. Overall 9/10, this season 8/10

Yep think I came to a similar conclusion. It's worth pointing out that for those that haven't seen Breaking Bad , there are no spoilers in Better Call Saul (given that its a prequel) . I only started watching Breaking Bad about 4 seasons into Better Call Saul but it all ties in well and helps explain how Jimmy became Saul.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 07:15
Godfather of Harlem
(Season 2)
Crime / Drama
9/10
Bumpy Johnson (Forest Whitaker) continues to makes his way in Harlem during the 1960's.

We finally got around to watching the second season. An excellent series.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 05:37
The Girl From Plainville 2022 8 episodes

'Based on true events' drama surrounding a controversial legal case in America back in the 2010's. A young lady in her teens called Michelle Carter formed a close bond with a young chap who was being treated for depression. She may not have been the best influence on him and ends up in court after he commits suicide. a good reason for watching this is Elle Fanning (best known for playing a young Catherine The Great) providing an acting masterclass as Carter and must surely be up for some major award I imagine. If you liked Dr Death then you will almost certainly enjoy this. 8/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 10:10
Shetland Season 7 (6 episodes)

Set on the Scottish island of the same name and starring Douglas Henshall, for me this is one of the best detective dramas in recent years. This one has a story about climate change activists and what if they go just that bit too far. Enjoy the scenery and the tension. 8/10

Edited by richardh - September 20 2022 at 10:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 14:35
Series 11 (yep 11 and the final one) of The Walking Dead. I was really just going through the motions to watch this as I've invested in 10 series so far and wasn't expecting much. But oddly it's very good indeed. It feels like it did back in the day and the new baddies are pretty cool. 16 episodes are out so far (split of course) but there are still 2 more to go on 02 Oct. I watched 4 episodes then 4 more last night as it's quite gripping.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 03:05
^ I want to watch that but so far have avoided a subscription to Disney+ on the basis I'm not a star wars fan. Eventually when Daredevil airs in the future I expect I will.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 03:11
Bad Sisters 2022 7 episodes

Created by Sharon Horgan and filmed/set in her home country of Ireland, I expected a bit more from this. Good actors but the constant flipping to the back story gets a bit tiresome. The basic plot is about 5 sisters , one of whom is married to a totally detestable excuse of a man so the 4 others plot to do away with him. It's black humour but without the humour. I really wanted to like it more than I did. Not terrible and seems there may be another series on the way. 6/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 05:49
We've caught up with Series 11 of The Walking Dead - to episode 16 (there are the final ever 2 episodes to come 02 Oct). It's been quite enjoyable this season. Something that always bugged me in TWD was that old cliché of "why don't you just kill them instead of fannying around". Not so this series, when you want something to happen - it just happens, and it's such a relief that. How many times in the past could Negan have been killed - but no he gets away again, to wreak more havoc. I actually think I may miss TWD.

Alas my TV/movie viewing will be a bit stymied these next few weeks due to Strictly Come Dancing - my wife is an avid viewer, even the daily spin-off show.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:13
I actually watch Strictly by choice but will refrain from reviewing it on here LOL

btw it may be of some interest that Strictly's Dave Arch was the musical director and keyboard player for Greg Lake when he toured back in 2004. I even got to shake his hand!

Edited by richardh - September 26 2022 at 09:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 14:37
I do actually like Strictly too, but I get a bit full of it all, especially with the daily shows as well. Tonight's It Takes Two is episode 1 of 60 - Shocked
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 02:10
Devil In Ohio 2022 8 episodes

So when did Netflix stop commissioning engrossing grown up dramas such as House Of Cards, Bloodline and Ozark and instead decided to put out tosh like this? I had hoped this might be another creepy gem like Midnight Mass but sadly no. Barely nothing happens apart from a bird hitting the window (what a cliche) . Insufficient in plot, chills or drama it just labours towards an incredibly underwhelming denouement. I only stuck with it for the gorgeous lead actress (Emily Deschanel) but she and the rest of the cast deserved far better. 4/10

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 03:45
British drama rules

Karen Pirie 2022 3 episodes
Based on one of noted crime writer Val McDermid's bestsellers, The Distant Echo, this is easily one of best TV productions I've ever watched. Just great writing, atmosphere and superb acting. The main character, young DS Karen Pirie is given the task of investigating a cold case from 1996, the murder of a young women in St Andrews who is left to die in a graveyard, her stomach slit open. Very emotional stuff. Nailed 10/10

This England 2022 6 episodes 
Kenneth Brannagh plays Boris Johnson in a fictional drama albeit based on factual events surrounding his first year or so as PM. 4 of the episodes are devoted to the pandemic and showing how hospitals and care homes as well as ordinary people had to cope in circumstances not seen since WWII. The vast supporting cast are incredible and this is a wonderful and fitting tribute to those that fell as well as the amazing nurses, doctors and care home workers. The writers perhaps surprisingly provide an extremely sympathetic portrayal of Johnson and his marriage to Carrie. I expected a more 'leftie' approach in this but that doesn't materialize. On the other hand his chief advisor Dominic Cummings is shown to be somewhat arrogant and hopelessly misguided. Impressive stuff that should be up for a few awards. 9/10
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 10:39
The Outer Limits (1995-2002), 152 episodes

Over the last couple of months I watched all seven seasons of this revival of the original series that came out from 1963 to 1965. For such a long series, it has its ups and downs and a lot of it comes off as a mixed bag with some gems and some episodes that put me to sleep. I don't believe this series had the finances other science fiction series had about this time and it shows, particularly in scenes in outer space or inside spacecraft. Nonetheless, the stories for the most part are quite interesting, often having surprise endings (though on occasion some of these are predictable if you let yourself do this).

The format of this show isn't really any different from the original or a comparable series like The Twilight Zone. Each episode is its own story, like a series of short stories in a science fiction anthology. The cast on each show is generally made up of different guest actors/actresses. Some make multiple appearances of different characters and on occasion some episodes have a sequel to them that generally appears in a later season in which the characters roles are performed by the same actors/actresses.

Among the guest actors/actresses is almost a who's who of science fiction-related, among them a number of cast members of Stargate SG-1 (no doubt due to Brad Wright's influence since he also wrote for both SG and The Outer Limits), Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek DS9, Babylon 5, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica (though these performances predate the release of BG), and even a performance from Nathan Fillion before his appearance on Firefly. Among some of the more notable guests were: Aaron Douglas, Colin Ferguson, Meat Loaf, Charlton Heston, Hal Holbrook, Michael Moriarty, CCH Pounder, John de Lancie, Linda Ko, Jack Klugman, Corbin Bernsen, John Amos, Molly Ringwald, Marina Sirtis, Barbara Rush, Fred Savage, Mark Hamill, John Heard, Robert Loggia, Roddy Piper, Ronny Cox, David Ogden Stiers, Robert Guillaume, Robert Picardo, Burt Young, Kirsten Dunst, Lloyd Bridges, Beau Bridges, Kevin Tighe, Pat Morita, Michael Hogan, Barry Pepper, Leonard Nimoy, Alyssa Milano, Swoosie Kurtz, Margot Kidder, Wil Wheaton, Michael Dorn, Rebecca De Mornay, Bruce Boxleitner, Torri Higginson, Amanda Tapping, Graham Greene, Tom Arnold, Mackenzie Phillips, Gary Busey, Stacy Keach, Chris Elliott, Kevin Nealon, Daniel Baldwin, Robert Hays, Ralph Waite, David Keith, Nana Visitor, Melissa Gilbert, Lou Diamond Phillips, Gary Cole, Maria Conchita Alonso, Ron Perlman, Alan Thicke, Howard Hesseman, Howie Mandel, David McCallum, Kim Cattrall, Sheena Easton, Brent Spiner, Jon Cryer, Neil Patrick Harris, Bruce Davison, Richard Thomas, Josh Brolin, Grace Park, Michael Ironside, Ron Rifkin, Alan Scarfe, Teryl Rothery, Don S. Davis, Tom McBeath, Saul Rubinek, Ryan Reynolds, Bruce Harwood, Kristin Lehman, Andrew Airlie, and Jessica Steen.

It's like a who's who of American/Canadian television and movies from the 1990s, from individuals on the tail ends of their career, to individuals prior to their becoming more famous, and a host of lesser known supporting character actors/actresses who had a long history of filling these roles. Strangely enough, of all these episodes I think the best performance was that of Howie Mandel in season 3, episode 2, where he was able to "download" the personalities of several individuals and play a character with a sort of pseudo-dissociative identity disorder that rivals the performance of James McAvoy from Shyamalan's film Split.

The biggest downside I found with this series was the half-assed attempt to tie all the episodes together in season-ending episodes. These failed miserably because all of the episodes of this series were in self-contained bubbles where the connections between them were dubious at best. The treatment isn't that different from an episode, for example, in which the characters remember events from the past and the episode is chiefly filled with excerpts from previous episodes, what we here in The States call a filler episode (or clip shows) when the writers didn't have enough material for an original episode or for cost-cutting reasons. They did this repeatedly with the last episode of nearly every season. In the final seventh season, they did this with the last two episodes. A clear indicator that they were running out of ideas.

Themes in the series covered a wide gamut of science fiction/horror tales, dealing with contact with extraterrestrials, the human condition, biological evolution, time travel, plagues, monsters, the supernatural, apocalyptic stories, human colonization of other planets, alternate realities, psychological drama, and so on. By this very nature, I think this was an improvement upon the original 1960s series. However, I think maybe the series went on longer than it should have as it had shown signs of writer fatigue by the 5th season that grew more progressive into the 7th season. Like most long-running series, the first season was a bit bumpy in quality, but improved in the following seasons. 

I had watched this regularly back in the 1990s when this came out. It was broadcasted locally late on Saturday nights (I think at 11 p.m. or midnight). So, it was nice to actually see the entire opus of this in the order they intended it. 

Rating: 7/10

Edited by progaardvark - October 03 2022 at 10:41
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
operationStone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote operationStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 14:40
The last one I fished watching was Arcane, which is brilliant. The animation and the plot are magnificent, and I loved the show, even though I have never played League of Legends.
I even downloaded the whole show in the best possible way to enjoy the quality of animation in full, and it was totally worth it. I found it thanks to https://www.999flix.com/series, and I think it’s one of the greatest series Netflix has ever made. Most of their new originals are crap, but this one is a true diamond. Recommend to anyone, even if you are not a gamer at all.

Edited by operationStone - October 05 2022 at 20:05
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 01:13
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The Outer Limits (1995-2002), 152 episodes

Rating: 7/10

thanks for the informative review ( I won't repeat the whole thing!)

I watched most of it being a big sci-fi fan. I think that , Star Trek Deep Space 9 and Earth 2 were my fave sc-fi shows of the decade.

I did buy a box set of the Outer Limits entitled 'Sex and Science-fiction' but couldn't play the thing because of the region not being compatible!

btw the theme music for the series was created by Mark Mancina who produced the ELP album Black Moon. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 51>