Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I found Raised by Wolves too bleak for me at one point, stopped watching, but then one sleepless night I returned to it and really appreciated it. It's very well done and also look forward to the next season. HBO is very impressive. I have found myself watching my Crave/ HBO/ Showtime Hub more than Netflix (various many Netflix shows feel like they have too many cooks concocting stuff based on what they think they know about the audience to me -- exercises in test marketing or some such thing, as opposed to more auteur visions, if you know what I mean) .

I don't currently have Prime, but I want to watch the second season of the Boys when I can. Not finished, it's still going on, but I watched the first episode of the new series of Fargo the other day (season four with Chris Rock),

Yes RBW was quite bleak, but I was determined to stay with it and about half-way through I was completely hooked.  I have The Boys on my must-watch list, but haven't started it yet, but have high expectations, so we'll see.  

I have been a big fan of the Fargo series, but haven't started the new season yet....

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 14:18
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I've been working on sci-fi series that I missed when they were originally on the air. I finished watching Firefly and the follow-up Serenity film about a month ago. Currently watching Farscape and just finished season 2.

Yessss....Firefly!  Let's protest until they finally bring it back.....okay so maybe by now that is a bit far fetched, but i can always hope.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 16:00

I've been working on sci-fi series that I missed when they were originally on the air. I finished watching Firefly and the follow-up Serenity film about a month ago. Currently watching Farscape and just finished season 2.

As you like Farscape, have you tried LEXX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRe4nl8ugM

Before joining this forum, I was a member of the Lexx forum (as FunkET just in case anyone from there amazingly stumbles upon this),

No, I haven't. Thanks much for the recommendation! Thumbs Up
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Yessss....Firefly!  Let's protest until they finally bring it back.....okay so maybe by now that is a bit far fetched, but i can always hope.

Somewhere in a parallel universe Whedon was allowed to have Firefly run for the seven years he planned on. I need to find that wormhole that will take me to that parallel universe.
----------
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 18:14

Somewhere in a parallel universe Whedon was allowed to have Firefly run for the seven years he planned on. I need to find that wormhole that will take me to that parallel universe.

At least you got Serenity. I had no luck in getting Galactica 1980 to continue with Galactica 1981, or more Manimal: "Manimal is back, and he's more Manimal than ever." Just too much Manimal to handle, I guess. Damned speciesists.

Ive always been meaning to give Firefly a proper shot (seen like one episode).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 11:37

At least you got Serenity. I had no luck in getting Galactica 1980 to continue with Galactica 1981, or more Manimal: "Manimal is back, and he's more Manimal than ever." Just too much Manimal to handle, I guess. Damned speciesists.

Ive always been meaning to give Firefly a proper shot (seen like one episode).

I definitely would have enjoyed more of Galactica. Always thought that they should have expanded on Robert Reed's character and made it a recurring role.

Firefly is well-worth watching. Like a lot of the better sci-fi series, it gets better with each episode.
----------
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:36
Last one watched was Picard.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:55
^ Yep, Robert Reed was a highlight. For any badness (and I rather like the badness), it had potential.

Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

While very bittersweet, I loved Picard. It had a heart and it moved me. I thought it to be a very good continuation. I found it heartfelt, poignant, and the way it dealt with frailty and mortality was meaningful.

Other than Twin Peaks: The Return, it's my favourite sort of continuation of an old show (or revival of characters) in recent memory that I can think of.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 13:16

^ Yep, Robert Reed was a highlight. For any badness (and I rather like the badness), it had potential.

While very bittersweet, I loved Picard. It had a heart and it moved me. I thought it to be a very good continuation. I found it heartfelt, poignant, and the way it dealt with frailty and mortality was meaningful.

Other than Twin Peaks: The Return, it's my favourite sort of continuation of an old show (or revival of characters) in recent memory that I can think of.

Yes I found it exactly the same, sad to see the aging but happy to see some of the characters on screen again and I also thought it was very well made.

I also enjoyed binge watching just before I watched Picard, ST Discovery.  Season 3 just started here in the US.

I am starting to wonder are all prog fans also SciFi fans?
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 13:24
Watching The Expanse now. Haven't finished/caught up yet. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 01:47
I watch a lot of stuff so have a hard time actually finishing anything. Currently got about 20-30 TV shows on the go which is normal for me.

I finished Future Man not long ago. Its a Seth Rogen thing that ran out of steam even though he injected himself into it to try and give it some momentum. At least it had a proper 'burial' so to speak and the story was concluded. 3 seasons of half hour episodes so easy to watch if you have a bit of time to kill.

I remember being a bit sad when I finished the 3rd season of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. An absolute gem of a show that I would recommend to anyone. Has some of the funniest stuff I've seen for a long time and great chemistry between the lead actors. Alex Borstein (playing Mrs Maisel's agent) is the hidden star of the whole thing. Check it out.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

{EDIT} The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. An absolute gem of a show that I would recommend to anyone. Has some of the funniest stuff I've seen for a long time and great chemistry between the lead actors. Alex Borstein (playing Mrs Maisel's agent) is the hidden star of the whole thing. Check it out.
Seconded ! Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:24
I watched the first episode and concluded Mrs. Maisel wasn't for me, so haven't gone back.  LOL

With current TV, I've been watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and am down to the last 4 or 5 episodes recorded on my DVR.   On Netflix, I've been watching Deep Space Nine.  I just finished Season 3 this past weekend.  I tend to stick with CBS and watch their 1st run shows, but since the new seasons haven't started yet, I've not been watching that much TV.  With DS9, it seems as though I might sit down and watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time and then not watch again for 2 or 3 weeks.  
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:37
Just finished re-watching the first three series of The Bridge. Now got to wait for the BBC to air Series 4 again Cry
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:33
^ True Detective and Silicon Valley have been on my to see list for a long time.

Yes I found it exactly the same, sad to see the aging but happy to see some of the characters on screen again and I also thought it was very well made.

I also enjoyed binge watching just before I watched Picard, ST Discovery.  Season 3 just started here in the US.

I am starting to wonder are all prog fans also SciFi fans?

A lot certainly are, but then I think that an awful lot of people who like to visit web forums are (and are into the "fantastic" including fantasy and sci-fi genres which overlap). Prog tends to appeal to a certain geeky mindset.

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Just finished re-watching the first three series of The Bridge. Now got to wait for the BBC to air Series 4 again Cry

I find The Bridge so very good and yet still have yet to see series four. We had it her on Netflix Canada, but then they removed it. Borgen is one I'm on now (though I'd already seen much of it).
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:07

I find The Bridge so very good and yet still have yet to see series four. We had it her on Netflix Canada, but then they removed it. Borgen is one I'm on now (though I'd already seen much of it).

The good news is that they're planning a new series of Borgen with the original cast.

The bad news is that it's coming in 2022 Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:59

A lot certainly are, but then I think that an awful lot of people who like to visit web forums are (and are into the "fantastic" including fantasy and sci-fi genres which overlap). Prog tends to appeal to a certain geeky mindset.

Oh that would lead me to bunches of other questions I would want to ask for curiosity :)

1) How many of us geeks bought the first early 80s computers and which was it?
For UK:
Commodore
Sinclair
Amstrad
MSX
Other
USA: TRS80
Apple
TI99
IBM/Mac
Other
Was it for games or for home/school/business.... (I suspect primarily the first :) )

2) Do we play board games or card games like Magic the Gathering or even chess?

Questions.... .questions.... questions...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:15
I'm in Canada and my first early 80s computer was a Sinclair (my next computer was a Commodore 64 in maybe 85). School and games, mostly games, and I liked programming.

I like board games and card games. Chess was always my main game. I play with my son, but he, 13, always beats me now. He has become better and I have got worse. And I loved Bridge. I also play Cribbage with the wife now and then.

Other than that, I will happily play a game of Risk now and then, and was quite into D&D when I was young.

I never considered myself to be a real geek due to my less than satisfactory grades in mathematics, and I spent my time in high school hanging out much more with the stoners than the nerds. I would have liked to be in both camps: a doobie in one hand and an advanced calculus book in the other. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:40
Thanks Logan.

Ok then.  Here is a little about me.  I also don't consider myself a geek.  But I am kind of geeky in my hobbies besides music.

I love chess but over the years more so electronic chess.  Have a huge collection of electronic chess computers.  This is my site which I hope I can share for curiosity since it has nothing to do with music:

As a result of electronic chess computers I also have a big collection of old computers.  Starting with zx81 or Vic 20 and other equivalents upwards... pretty much all the makes really UK and US to the Amigas and Atari St's and beyond... and all for chess :)

So other than chess books I also like SF/Fantasy... but more so SF than Fantasy.  Other board games and card games, MTG.  Have not played cribbage since I moved from England.

btw... the website name is kind of coincidental to the Band Spaciousmind who by the way I also like a lot.  Its funny in a search for years both have popped up next to each other.

Well that's a summary of all my geekiness.  btw I also used to love football (soccer) a lot as well.

Nick
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:56
I wasn't around in the early 80's (my father had a Commodore though) but I'm a programmer, love SF and board games. Speaking of Firefly, I played the board game a few weeks ago. It's always a memorable experience, it makes up for the lack of seasons ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>