Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 10:05
Finished Hawkeye last night and very enjoyable it was too. I really wasn't expecting much from this, but it's actually really good. And what makes it good is the comedy. Sometimes these Marvel shows take themselves way too seriously, but this takes lighter tone and it's a lot better for it. The actor playing Kate is very good too and has loads of charisma which, let's face it, Jeremy Renner hasn't. But the way they bounce of each other brings a fresh dimension to a tired formula. The Russian goons in "tracksuits" are hilarious.
A couple of surprise character appearances near the end made it extra special too. Loved it - 9/10

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 10:40
^ "Sometimes these Marvel shows take themselves way too seriously"

Really? Which ones? I always found the Marvel brand to be a pretty good mix of action/story/comedy.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 15:16
The Great on Hulu. An anti-historical comedy-drama show loosely based on the rise to power of Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 00:43
^ Thumbs Up (currently only 2 episodes into S2 and has that acidic humour I adore!)

American Rust 2021 9 episodes

Small town murder drama starring Jeff Daniels. Nothing particularly original , this neo noire(ish) tale (based on a book apparently) is well navigated by experienced director John Dahl (The Last Seduction, Red Rock West) and features a very strong cast. I found it sagged a bit in the middle before finally getting to the point and then probably could have done with another episode (maybe leaving the possibility of a second season). Worth a look if you have nothing better to do (or watch) 7/10

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 04:23
recently watched all the Blake 7 episodes, 
Thank you Forces TV. been waiting over 20 years for some channel to show them again.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:02
Just completed Series 10 of American Horror Story - Double Feature. Some of these seasons have been hit and miss. This time there are 2 separate storylines - hence the title Double Feature. The split was 6:4 between each feature. Very good - and back to basics really after some of the more adventurous seasons. Not on par with Murder House, Coven, Asylum or Freak Show, but better than some of the later series .I preferred the second part, an alien invasion type with a lot of historical facts fictionally answered due to the takeover (Area 51, JFK assassination, Watergate etc.), 3 more series to come after this - at least. 7/10 for season 10.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 04:30
Departure Season 2 2021 6 episodes

Mainly a vehicle (pun intended) for a British actress of Asian heritage, namely Archie Panjabi. She plays an official crash investigator for a high speed train incident and has to deal with small town America prejudice in order to get to the truth. Don't expect too much and it's enjoyable. Somewhat only really notable for a very brief appearance by the late Christopher Plummer to whom the series is dedicated. 6/10.

Edited by richardh - January 30 2022 at 04:31
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 00:44
The Sinner Season 4 2022 8 episodes

This psychological based crime drama is one of my favourite things , mainly for the presence of Bill Pullman and his portrayal of an ageing detective who is able to draw on his own past traumas to solve cases. Here he is on 'holiday' at a small fishing community and of course something happens that grabs his attention. I can't really say much without spoilers so will leave it at that. Top notch. 9/10 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 10:03
Station Eleven - Really strange this one. It tells the story of a deadly flu pandemic and the aftermath. It's shown in different times, and so it's all over the place. So 1 minute it's now, then a year ago, a year later, 10 years later, 20 years later etc. Not horror or sci-fi though, rather a drama. But it's weird as it follows a future Shakespearean troupe as it travels around. Some of it was superb, other parts dismal and dull. I've read the synopsis of the book (I may one day read it) and the TV show seems to deviate too much, which is why it's so dull. None of the practicalities are tackled (food, medicine etc.) which leaves it all a bit one dimensional. The music is good though. 4/10 for the 2 or 3 really good episodes. 
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 10:41
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Station Eleven - Really strange this one. It tells the story of a deadly flu pandemic and the aftermath. It's shown in different times, and so it's all over the place. So 1 minute it's now, then a year ago, a year later, 10 years later, 20 years later etc. Not horror or sci-fi though, rather a drama. But it's weird as it follows a future Shakespearean troupe as it travels around. Some of it was superb, other parts dismal and dull. I've read the synopsis of the book (I may one day read it) and the TV show seems to deviate too much, which is why it's so dull. None of the practicalities are tackled (food, medicine etc.) which leaves it all a bit one dimensional. The music is good though. 4/10 for the 2 or 3 really good episodes. 

I do agree, very uneven TV series. I gave up on it. Read the book, much better and much more interesting than TV show, with couple nice "twists" towards the end.
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 11:04
On the subject and also based on the book Nine Perfect Strangers (2021, Hulu). I finished the book but I hated it. TV series is much more entertaining. Nine strangers stranded in the wellness resort. Good cast, with Nicole Kidman as the owner of the resort, interesting plot, nice cinematographic visual effects related to drugs use and great music. [8/10]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 03:50

I've only watched episode 1 and quite liked it. So far only 4 episodes have been officially released in the UK (Starzplay) and unfortunately my cable TV provider Virgin Media have f**ked up and only put Ep 1 and 4 out but somehow missing out 2 and 3.
I did note that Mackenzie Davis appears in it and I like her from Halt And Catch Fire , a criminally underrated AMC studios drama that ran 4 seasons. She was also very good in the Blade Runner sequel and also in a small role in The Martian.
Perhaps I'm not missing much but even your review is intriguing if not exactly showering it with praise Smile

Edited by richardh - February 06 2022 at 03:54
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 03:52
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

On the subject and also based on the book Nine Perfect Strangers (2021, Hulu). I finished the book but I hated it. TV series is much more entertaining. Nine strangers stranded in the wellness resort. Good cast, with Nicole Kidman as the owner of the resort, interesting plot, nice cinematographic visual effects related to drugs use and great music. [8/10]

I thought it was let down by the slightly feelgood ending so would have rated it about 7/10 probably. It was fine but for me a little bit of a missed opportunity given the great cast.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 05:05

I quite liked Station Eleven. Solid acting with great visuals/cinematography and sound production. This was about the characters and their relationships. I think the deviations from the novel worked in getting invested in the characters. Music was well incorporated.I rate it 8/10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 08:26
The Girl In The Woods (2021 ) on Peacock
If you liked Stranger Things you might like this also...teens battle occult evil from another realm that hides in the woods. It didn't engage me like Stranger Things but it was ok...  6/10

On old shows I highly recommend Fringe (a reimagination of X Files) and Warehouse 13 (tongue in cheek sci-fi/fantasy),,,,,both are well done. 

Hoping to start Archive 81 soon....been watching The Titans and various films.

Edited by dr wu23 - February 06 2022 at 08:31
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 12:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I thought it was let down by the slightly feelgood ending so would have rated it about 7/10 probably. It was fine but for me a little bit of a missed opportunity given the great cast.

I have to admit that I like the movies/TV series with feelgood ending. I guess I am spoiled by Hollywood happy ending movies. 😉

I hate when there no ending at all. You try to stay focus on getting to know the characters, their stories/relationships and all of the sudden the movie ends without any closure. I hate that!

I am looking for some TV series recommendations.
Good cast, great plot, with interesting dialogs where f words in not in every sentence, preferably with some humor. Life is too sad these days, need some laughs.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 12:42
^For comedy I recommend Resident Alien on syfy and for weird crime drama The Blacklist on NBC.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 13:06
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I have to admit that I like the movies/TV series with feelgood ending. I guess I am spoiled by Hollywood happy ending movies. 😉

I hate when there no ending at all. You try to stay focus on getting to know the characters, their stories/relationships and all of the sudden the movie ends without any closure. I hate that!

I am looking for some TV series recommendations.
Good cast, great plot, with interesting dialogs where f words in not in every sentence, preferably with some humor. Life is too sad these days, need some laughs.

I've been watching the Canadian series entitled The Collector (2004-2006). It is quite interesting. Has some dark humour. Also you can always play the "prediction game" while watching. I don't want to give spoilers, but the idea that it was built upon gives way to that.
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 09:05
Dr wu23, Archisorcerus - thank you for your recommendations. I forgot to mention that I watch these TV series with my wife and she is not a huge fan of sci-fi in general or weird crime drama.
Any fans of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel?
First season was really good IMO. Second - I was partial to it. I especially enjoyed the episodes that took place in Catskills resort. Third season - let down, mostly because of too much of bad 50s music. Waiting for a start of 4th season. As you can see, I am a strong believer in a saying "Happy wife, happy life". But..,
I really enjoyed all 3 seasons of True Detective and Chernobyl (HBO shows), but I watched them with my son before he moved out from the house.
Another really good Tv series, but older one was "Mad Men". I really like the shows/books about relationships.

Edited by enigmatic - February 07 2022 at 09:09
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 12:36
Check out Justified.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 51>