Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 09:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Finished Series 1 of Succession last night. Brilliant all round, really enjoyed it.

Yep and Season 2 is even better Smile , Season 3 was ready for filming last year until a certain global pandemic got in the way. Still, its good to know it's happening (Succession not the pandemic!)

I'm on Season 2 now. Blimey, it really is good. It's hard to watch sometimes, in a cringeworthy way - but that's down to how excellently the actors play their roles. I wonder too if there is some ad-lib going on as it seems so natural. Matthew Macfadyen is immense in this.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 14:35
WandaVison (9 Episode Mini-series)

-If you are into the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), and have followed the last few Avengers movies then you will, no doubt, love this series. It is extremely well done, and a perfect follow up to the Avengers:Endgame movie.

-If you know nothing about the MCU then some of the inside references and backstories will elude you. However, you may still enjoy it as a standalone and be inspired to look into the history that leads to this point in time. No matter, in the end, all will be reveled...be patient, it's well worth the wait.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 11:06
Love Succession and have been waiting patiently for season 3 ever since season 2 ended.

I am curious if anyone else has been watching Servant and what you think of it.  It's quite an oddball of a series, sometimes quite hilarious, a bit scary, has quite a huge attention to set detail and character reactions.  It seems a bit out of focus sometimes especially in season 2, but then a lot of the things that seem trivial come back, so who really knows?  Rupert Grint (from Harry Potter) is excellent!  It's quite an interesting study on how a bunch of normal people try to protect someone that has obviously lost her sanity and how that ends up driving them all crazy.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 11:22
I just saw a 6 episode short Netflix series Tribes of Europe. Perfect dystopian storry following three siblings different fate through a europa we will not recognize. Who to trust and how are you gonna stay live, a really good series.

Edited by Icarium - March 14 2021 at 11:24
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 12:59
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Love Succession and have been waiting patiently for season 3 ever since season 2 ended.

I am curious if anyone else has been watching Servant and what you think of it.  It's quite an oddball of a series, sometimes quite hilarious, a bit scary, has quite a huge attention to set detail and character reactions.  It seems a bit out of focus sometimes especially in season 2, but then a lot of the things that seem trivial come back, so who really knows?  Rupert Grint (from Harry Potter) is excellent!  It's quite an interesting study on how a bunch of normal people try to protect someone that has obviously lost her sanity and how that ends up driving them all crazy.

I've seen the first season of Servant and really enjoyed it. Season 2 will be my next watch as we've just finished Wandavison. The first of Servant was excellent and quite thought-provoking and, yes, agreed it's a right odd-ball. I have no idea where season 2 will lead us now, but looking forward to jumping in soon.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 14:08
^ Season 2 Servant only gets odder, but I just can't stop watching it.  Just when you think you know where it's going to go, it doesn't, and actually takes some totally unexpected left turns.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 18:32
I'm watching The Servant Season 2 , I do like these 30 minute episodes. It knows its a bit silly but its very entertaining.

If you've got Apple TV , I also recommend For All Mankind and Dickinson (both have 2 seasons).

Just finished 

The Great (Starzplay) - absolutely brilliant comic retelling of the early life of Catherine The Great. Nicolas Hoult is hugely entertaining as her husband 'Peter' (he can't be Peter The Great because that was is father!) who more than meets his match. Gorgeous to look at and wonderful cast. 

Bloodlands (BBC) - dark, witty (and sometimes even alarmingly funny) police thriller set in Northern Ireland about cold case murders with IRA connections. James Nesbitt (Cold Feet) puts in one of his best performances and the writers do a great job wrong footing you for the first 2 of 4 episodes. That's all I can say other than watch it!

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 04:54
we've been watching all 6 episodes of the Norwegian SF-series "Beforeigners" (a wordplay with "Before" and "Foreigners") from 2019 in one go; it was like a 4˝ hour movie (especially since there were no flashbacks at the beginning of the episodes). in the early 2000s a strange worldwide phenomenon occurs: in lakes suddenly people from the past pop up by the thousands from three ages: stone age, 11th century and 19th century.

the series picks up a few years after this phenomenon started. still people from the past pop up. one of them is actually Ólafr Haraldsson, better known as Olaf II of Norway (nicknamed "Olaf the Fat"). two of his shieldmaidens (female Viking warriors) also arrive, and one of them (who historically became his wife) is the first time-traveler cop. some of the newcomers from the 19th century are actually Luddites (a secret oath-based organization of English textile workers which destroyed textile machinery as a form of protest).

of course this leads to all kinds of culture clashes. no-one understands the stone-age people, and only a few experts understand the 11th century people (the female cop has to translate a lot). the ancient Norwegians were very much anti-Christian; Olaf the Fat actually killed a bishop once. later he converted to Christianity though, became a bishop himself and is considered to be responsible for the Christianization of Norway.

there was full frontal male and female nudity in the series (one of the stone-age people went hunting in the nude). the series was sometimes very funny and a great watch

Edited by BaldJean - March 16 2021 at 07:50

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 07:27
I'm watching season two of The Boys right now. 
Probably not for everyone but It's good mindless fun. 
Karl Urban is great in it.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 08:14
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

we've been watching all 6 episodes of the Norwegian SF-series "Beforeigners" (a wordplay with "Before" and "Foreigners") from 2019 in one go; it was like a 4˝ hour movie (especially since there were no flashbacks at the beginning of the episodes). in the early 2000s a strange worldwide phenomenon occurs: in lakes suddenly people from the past pop up by the thousands from three ages: stone age, 11th century and 19th century.

the series picks up a few years after this phenomenon started. still people from the past pop up. one of them is actually Ólafr Haraldsson, better known as Olaf II of Norway (nicknamed "Olaf the Fat"). two of his shieldmaidens (female Viking warriors) also arrive, and one of them (who historically became his wife) is the first time-traveler cop. some of the newcomers from the 19th century are actually Luddites (a secret oath-based organization of English textile workers which destroyed textile machinery as a form of protest).

of course this leads to all kinds of culture clashes. no-one understands the stone-age people, and only a few experts understand the 11th century people (the female cop has to translate a lot). the ancient Norwegians were very much anti-Christian; Olaf the Fat actually killed a bishop once. later he converted to Christianity though, became a bishop himself and is considered to be responsible for the Christianization of Norway.

there was full frontal male and female nudity in the series (one of the stone-age people went hunting in the nude). the series was sometimes very funny and a great watch

That sounds interesting. It reminds me of The 4400, which has a slightly similar premise: a group of 4400 people appear out of nowhere near Mount Rainier, all of them missing people that disappeared many decades ago. Having people appear all of sudden from the stone age or the 11th century introduces some interesting cultural and linguistic clashes. Do you know if this was ever released with English subtitles? It sounds like it would be a fun series to watch.

Edited by progaardvark - March 16 2021 at 08:14
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 08:59
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

That sounds interesting. It reminds me of The 4400, which has a slightly similar premise: a group of 4400 people appear out of nowhere near Mount Rainier, all of them missing people that disappeared many decades ago. Having people appear all of sudden from the stone age or the 11th century introduces some interesting cultural and linguistic clashes. Do you know if this was ever released with English subtitles? It sounds like it would be a fun series to watch.

Amazon apparently has it with English subtitles:

https://www.amazon.com/Beforeigners-Season-1/dp/B084V16WKK

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 13:13
I most recently finished the Danish drama mini-series The Investigation (six parts) which is being carried by HBO here, which I get though the Crave+HBO Hub on my TV.

It's based on a true murder case, which I already knew about, involving the murder of a journalist on a submarine in Denmark in 2017 (known as the submarine case).  It was handled very well with sensitivity and humanity and did not portray the murder or the murderer.  
Just a fanboy passin' through.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 15:50
I definitely need to check out Beforeigners!

I remember the 4400 , very interesting premise. These type of things seem to resurface ever so often , remember Le Revenants? Excellent creepy French drama.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 05:35
oops, I have to correct an embarrassing mistake. it is not Olaf II who appears but his opponent Thorir Hund, who killed Olaf II in battle. makes much more sense this way. this mistake should not have happened to me. Embarrassed

"Beforeigners" had the same producers as "Lilyhammer", by the way

Edited by BaldJean - March 17 2021 at 05:46

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 14:28
It took me quite a while to finally watch it, but I just finished Deadwood.  I haven't watched the 2019 movie yet, but I really enjoyed the series, stellar acting by everyone.  It's sad that they weren't able to continue with it but apparently it was too expensive to make.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 16:05
^Thumbs UpThumbs Up
The movie helps tie up a few loose threads but certainly maintains the quality of production.
Have you done Boardwalk Empire?

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 18:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^Thumbs UpThumbs Up
The movie helps tie up a few loose threads but certainly maintains the quality of production.
Have you done Boardwalk Empire?

Yes I watched that one when it aired originally.  A definite favorite!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 11:04
American Gods Season 3 
Very enjoyable indeed. It's got better after a slightly faltering start but I've warmed to the various strange characters as its gone along. The introduction of Game Of Thrones actor Iwan Rheon for the last 3 episodes is also a big bonus. Apparently no decision has been made on filming Season 4 although Neil Gaiman planned the story arc for 5 seasons and so far he's managed to keep tight reins on the whole project.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 13:12
^ I should check that--   I stopped watching after the first season as it seemed mediocre... but I had read the book which worked better.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 14:14
Watching Rescue Me again. Almost done. Hulu has a lot of shows I watched 10 or 20 years are that are worth checking out again. Rescue Me, The Practice, Sons of Anarchy, Boston Legal, 24, Homeland, ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 51>