Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You know it's 1975 when...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 04:11
It's 1975 when you hear Born To Run, Have a Cigar and Miracles (by Jefferson Airplane) played one after the other on any NY FM radio station! Good times! Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 10:28
I also remember in 1975 some fairly well known US music source whose name escapes me awarding Fleetwood Mac 'Best new band of the year' - following the success of their tenth album.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 10:34
You know it's 1975 when the first album by Crack the Sky is awarded best debut album by Rolling Stone magazine. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 23 2020 at 10:37
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 10:35
1975...listening to Wish You Were Here, Physical Graffiti and Minstrel in the Gallery in succession.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

1975...listening to Wish You Were Here, Physical Graffiti and Minstrel in the Gallery in succession.
Yup, 1975 was an awesome year for prog. Hope you remembered it. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 13:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yup, 1975 was an awesome year for prog. Hope you remembered it. Wink
Actually, I do remember learning the chord progression to "Wish You Were Here" as a 15 year old. Back then you kept replaying the album over and over till you finally got it right.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 01:50
I turned 13 in 1975 and was already getting into prog rock in a big way.  My Dad took me and a couple of mates to a local one day rock festival which I lapped up.  I remember the DJ played the second half of 'Gates of Delirium' and the main act was Limelight - who later became associated with NWOBHM - but were more prog then.  They even had a Mellotron on stage!
MaldonTerryWood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MaldonTerryWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 09:45
You know it's 1975 when ...  there is no escape anywhere from Bohemian Bloody Rhapsody
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:55
You know it's 1975 when it's not safe to go in the water.....duhn, duhn, duhn, duhn.

It's also '75 that the Red Headed Stranger from Blue Rock, Montana rode into town.  

And Graffiti!  Man, I was laste for school SO many times 'cause I couldn't take Graffiti off the turntable until the side was thru
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 07:02
Van der Graaf Generator - "The Sleepwalkers" (1975)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 07:28
I know it's 1975 when "Flowers and Beads" are something I wore, and not just the title of an Iron Butterfly song. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 25 2020 at 09:24
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:03
January 24 – Jazz pianist Keith Jarrett plays the solo improvisation The Köln Concert at the Cologne Opera, which, recorded live, becomes the best-selling piano recording in history.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:05
March 29 – Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck is released. It would become his most successful album in the United States, reaching the top five and selling over one million copies.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:10
October 11 – NBC airs the first episode of Saturday Night Live (George Carlin is the first host; Billy Preston and Janis Ian the first musical guests).

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:47
Saw a Triumvirat billboard outside of Fresno around that time. Forgot for which album though.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123