Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You know it's 1975 when...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You know it's 1975 when...
    Posted: June 19 2020 at 09:46
From a 1975 National Lampoon

You know it's the mid 70's when these two artists managed to get full page ads in an American (non-music) magazine.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 09:50
^ cool Thumbs Up

Edited by Cristi - June 19 2020 at 09:50
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 10:09
 the small print suggests that Illusion On A Double Dimple was Triumvirate's debut album?
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

the small print suggests that Illusion On A Double Dimple was Triumvirate's debut album?

Double Dimple was their first album to be released in the US, so to a US audience, kind of...

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:35

I got me a real and historical dimple (not a German one)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:37
I didn't even know that National Lampoon was a magazine publication. I thought it was a fillum franchise...like Monty Python...
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:55
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I didn't even know that National Lampoon was a magazine publication. I thought it was a fillum franchise...like Monty Python...

This is a whole other topic. But NatLamp started as a magazine in 1970 - a spinoff from The Harvard Lampoon - and their golden age is generally considered to be around 70-75, long before they ended up as a film franchise with substantially different contributors. Their early magazine stuff is incredibly good. To hell with all that Christmas Vacation rubbish.

They were also responsible for some of the greatest rock parodies ever (look up 'Magical Misery Tour' for an amazing John Lennon parody circa 1970)

Edited by Braka1 - June 19 2020 at 13:36

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 22:59
I remember this magazine. Hilarious. They also released albums. Also hilarious. And they published parodies of the Lord of the Rings (Bored of the Rings) and the Hobbit (the Bobbit). Yes, hilarious.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 01:43
^ interesting, I think I have that book...the LOTR one..😎
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 06:20
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Double Dimple was their first album to be released in the US, so to a US audience, kind of...

I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning it.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 06:55
You know it's 1975 when you see Jimmy Savile on Top of the Pops. Smile
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 11:27
It's great to see a mention of Hawkwind's 'Warrior on the Edge of Time' . I was still at school , when it came out, but lucky enough to see the band play several tracks from the album in their UK tour the following year 
( 1976). As far as I remember, the album sleeve opened out to form a shield. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 11:41
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I remember this magazine. Hilarious. They also released albums. Also hilarious. And they published parodies of the Lord of the Rings (Bored of the Rings) and the Hobbit (the Bobbit). Yes, hilarious.

“He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he [Dildo] thought."

I read Bored of the Rings several times as a kid -- pity I don't still have my copy.

Edited by Logan - June 20 2020 at 11:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 13:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

“He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he [Dildo] thought."

I read Bored of the Rings several times as a kid -- pity I don't still have my copy.

This quote gives a good sense for their sense of humor.  

Buddy of mine came back to the States after spending Christmas in England with copies of both the books, so they are still out there. At least in the U.K.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 15:13
I know it was 1975 when I wore check Oxford bags over my platforms to school!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 15:59
You know it's 1975 when you fight with your brother over who's turn it is to ride the big wheel. Oops. Maybe that only applies to me. :P
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:44
silicon was... heresy man!!!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:49
You know its 1975 when the police don't bust you for possession, but take your stash anyway and tell you they are going to share it with their friends.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:54
hahahha..  WILLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heart

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:56
Ok, I took down my post because I was wrong. I downloaded the pic and looked at it up close and it does say Jan. 1975 or something like 1975. It appears to be Cheryl Tiegs too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>