Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where Were You When You First Heard These Albums?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where Were You When You First Heard These Albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Were You When You First Heard These Albums?
    Posted: June 19 2020 at 10:15
Where were you and what were doing when you first heard these albums: 1) Floyd: Meddle, DSotM, WYWH and Animals. 2) Yes: Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, and Relayer. 3) Genesis: SEbtP, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and A Trick Of The Tail. (more Where Were You? questions to follow.)

Edited by SteveG - June 19 2020 at 10:17
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 10:47
Stoned. Somewhere. It was the 70s.....

Ummm....what were we talking about again?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 11:07
Oh, I was in an altered state for a few of these but I remember the time and place for each album along with Abbey Road, and just wanted to see if anyone else did.

Edited by SteveG - June 19 2020 at 11:07
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 11:20
Probably completely sober for my first listens of all of these unfortunately. Subsequent listens.... can't quite say the same LOLBig smile
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 11:57
I was doing Math when I first heard those Yes albums Tongue
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:26

Love these threads!  I'm nostalgic as hell..  Tongue  ..and certainly looove each of those and how I met them!

DSotM 

At my parents' house's attic (not sure if is the correct word, but sort of an open ampliation upwards over the living room with only one little ambient, accessed through straight stairs). There was the TV, the computer and the stereo, besides a window to each side, my house was a corner one. There I passed many great moments.. alone, with my younger brother and with schools friends in the early 90's. Some albums kept eternally associated in my memory to the games we were playing in the computer at the moment (ex: ELP to X-COM (one of the best games ever!), Classic Yes to Warcraft 2: Human and Orcs, and the like Smile). Don't rememeber exactly how but my mom brought it from some of her work trips, the XX edition (twentieth anniversary) CD in cardboard case (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1uOpaBnMR0). It sounded marvelous on the stereo; those thumping heartbeats.. and then Breathe...

CTTE

I invited a school friend to my house, Joaquín; not my most intimate but a special guy.. he brought King Crimson to the rest of us. He arrived with two cassettes that afternoon (not sure but I think it was weekend): a green one and a red one. The green one was Close to the Edge, and the red one later I reckoned was RTF - Where have I known you before. Both of them left me greatly impressed after a skim listen. That could well have been my first exposure to jazz-rock, a sub-genre that appeals greatly to me.

Relayer

In my room, also above the 1st. floor, with views to the park at the other side of the street, that I shared with my 2 years younger brother where we had this black 90's receiver style stereo Tongue. He brought it one day from school, someone had lent it to him; he was influenced by me on the music and I think he never really 'got' what he had brought home that day, at least not at that time, though he and my 2 still younger brothers are heavily into Genesis, Rush, KC, etc. Funny thing is I didn't like it with the first few listens! LOL I already knew the other Yes' albums but this one struck me as 'rare'.. but oh boy, me being much into rock and liking my 'heavy', momentum oriented prog..  Wow. It then grew on me to what an extent man..  Cool  it's obviously a jewel, and I think there is much consensus around here about it, though in my case, I don't rate it higher than others from Yes as an album, but sure is a jewel.

TFTO and Lamb

Both double cased CD's were lent to me from a friend at different times (were his older brother's), and they went through that room stereo and then at the family's car in cassette form, specially on long trips on vacation.

A Trick of the Tail

I was on a music store on my own examining some CD's to buy, and my friend was with the seller, a girl I think, who was showing some other thing to him (this was the same fella that lent me the other albums). Without acknowledging it as I keep on my business I start to listen as some engaging, synth-intense music begins to fill the room from the other side. It was 'Dance on a Volcano'; the seller had played it to my friend. By that time we already knew the first and more important albums by Big 6 and the like, and were starting to look ahead, other bands and newer catalogue from known ones. I think that time I went out of the store with Amon Düül's 'Paradieswärts Düül' (not the best buy I've made, but it sure served its purpose at the time, that was to explore; I hear from PA that Amon Duul II is the better of the two, so is in my backlog).

Edited by Machinemessiah - June 19 2020 at 12:35
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Where were you and what were doing when you first heard these albums: 1) Floyd: Meddle, DSotM, WYWH and Animals. 2) Yes: Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, and Relayer. 3) Genesis: SEbtP, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and A Trick Of The Tail. (more Where Were You? questions to follow.)

In my bedroom from 76 onwards when I bought my Yamaha CR-1010 and YPB-4 hifi system, and generally stoned (purposely for the music)

Prior to buying my Hi-fi, it was in the second living room (the "den", actually) listening to all those albums on my dad's 4in1 chain (Panasonic, if I remember well), and generally straight
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:54
1: All these Floyd albums I borrowed to my friend and listened in my home in my brothers bedroom, which was also music listening room that time. Really when heard Dark Side first time it was a big change to me!
2. This is more complex. My brother had bought "Relayer" almost same time when he bought his first stereos. I was about 4-5 years old, when listening it first time, it was my brothers room in a different apartment. Really didn´t quite understand it then, but music really brought the same feeling, as the snakes and those riders in that cover. All those other Yes albums I heard first time in that same listening room as Floyd albums when I bought them myself.
3. All these Genesis albums I also borrowed first from different friends and listened also in that same room as those Floyd albums. Except "Selling England" I bought without hearing beforehand anything else than "I Know What I Like". Album really wasn´t disappointment!!

Edited by Mortte - June 19 2020 at 23:35
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:15
If anyone can truly recall where they first heard those, then they weren't having a good enough time in those days.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:23
Have to say I am little bored with these comments "if you remember sixties, then you didn´t live it". I am really glad I was sober when I heard these great albums first time and I still remember that!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:32
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:42

Hi,

In three different apartments with my good friend, the Space Pirate! 

DSOTM had a great fun distinction. In rehearsals for Guy Guden's play, DSOTM many times graced the before and after while I set and reset the lights correctly.

1972, I saw the PF Hollywood Bowl show and that was just before I met my room mate and friend. 

Relayer I bought, but after TFTO I was not exactly excited. TFTO still is, for me, a top 3 album if I had to choose them!

Greatest memory still is, the station not knowing which song to play from TLLDOB and Guy goes on the air at midnight and plays the full album, all 4 sides, in a row, and I don't remember if he played it again right after or if it was 2 AM when he played the full album again. You'll never heard that on a commercial radio station .... !!!!! I believe he said that the number of calls was insane and happy to hear the new album! The station never figured out which song to play because there were no "hits" in the album! Didn't matter ... I think  Guy alone probably burned up a couple of copies by himself! And he also played TOFT senseless!

Edited by moshkito - June 19 2020 at 13:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 15:27
At home with my headphones on.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was doing Math when I first heard those Yes albums Tongue

Is the word "math" a typo? LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 16:25
^ Calculus is very additive LOL
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 20:10
By the phrasing of this, I'm assuming you're referring to the older generation who were alive when these albums came out..?

I suppose my, "I was sitting at my computer when I first heard all these albums." comment doesn't really compare to the others lol LOL
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 20:38
In my bedroom as a teenager or at college listening with friends.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 22:52
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

By the phrasing of this, I'm assuming you're referring to the older generation who were alive when these albums came out..?

I suppose my, "I was sitting at my computer when I first heard all these albums." comment doesn't really compare to the others lol LOL
I wasn´t born when Meddle, Fragile & Close to the Edge came out, I was born in a year when Tales, Selling and Dark Side came, but it was eighties when I heard those all first time. But then computers were really sad and I really haven´t got any kind myself, CD:s were just came, it was from vinyl that I heard these.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 23:20
Here are my experiences with the Pink Floyd albums listed.

Meddle:
Likely sitting in my bedroom or living room listening intently to my new Pink Floyd record on vinyl after having used some gift money to buy it at Barnes & Noble

Dark Side Of The Moon:
This one I actually remember. I had checked it out on CD from the local library (I had only recently discovered I could do this), loaded it onto my computer (back before I grew a conscience about doing that sort of thing and deleted all of my library music), and sat down to listen to it at the computer on headphones. It was perhaps the first album I was so intrigued by that I immediately played the whole CD again. I still don't do this very often at all, even for records I love. I was probably a sophomore in high school, or about to become one.

Wish You Were Here:
You'll notice a trend here in that I'd also checked this and the following two out from the library the first time I heard them (I've since purchased all 4). I don't have a specific memory of where I was, but it would have probably been around my sophomore or junior year of high school before I deleted my library music, and my first listen either would've been in the car with one of my parents, or via mp3's dowloaded to my iPod at the time. I remember being vaguely ambivalent about Shine On, especially the second half, but I like the other three songs.

Animals:
This was among the first group of CD's I ever checked out form the library. Along with Styx - Crystal Ball and U2 - War. I distinctly remember listening to this during summer gym and health between my freshman and sophomore year of high school, and it was my first Pink Floyd album. I'm not sure of the exact location of my first listen, but you can bet I played it a decent amount in the car to and from school that summer and listened on my iPod during lunch.

The Wall:
This was probably the last Floyd album I checked out from the library and loaded on my iPod. It would have been in the middle of the school year around the same year as the last three. I distinctly remember trying to put it on as background music while I did some math homework in my bedroom. Let's just say the math homework didn't get very far and I had very mixed feelings about how intensely depressing the album was at the time. It was definitely an experience.

And here's my current ranking of them:

1. Animals
2. Dark Side Of The Moon
3. The Wall
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Meddle
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 23:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

In three different apartments with my good friend, the Space Pirate! 

DSOTM had a great fun distinction. In rehearsals for Guy Guden's play, DSOTM many times graced the before and after while I set and reset the lights correctly.

1972, I saw the PF Hollywood Bowl show and that was just before I met my room mate and friend. 

Relayer I bought, but after TFTO I was not exactly excited. TFTO still is, for me, a top 3 album if I had to choose them!

Greatest memory still is, the station not knowing which song to play from TLLDOB and Guy goes on the air at midnight and plays the full album, all 4 sides, in a row, and I don't remember if he played it again right after or if it was 2 AM when he played the full album again. You'll never heard that on a commercial radio station .... !!!!! I believe he said that the number of calls was insane and happy to hear the new album! The station never figured out which song to play because there were no "hits" in the album! Didn't matter ... I think  Guy alone probably burned up a couple of copies by himself! And he also played TOFT senseless!

Wow, I can only imagine tuning into a radio station and hearing a whole album straight, let alone a double, and never mind an awesome prog rock landmark! That must've been incredible!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>