Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 52>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:22
Another item which hadn't been decided by Lorenzo, is that Logan would like to forfeit his spot so that a new person may join in on getting his/her selection chosen.  I am hoping that one or two of you will chime in and let me know how you feel about his doing so, since it hasn't been done before.  My personal inclination is that it's his own and if he wants to do that, it is a generous and inclusive offer to someone new here and I have no problem with that.  Please a few of you chime in with your thoughts.  Thanks!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 09:21
Oh... This is bad... May the speediest of recoveries be yours, Lorenzo!
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 09:22
Very sorry to hear about Lorenzo. I hope he will get better soon.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 09:24
Sorry to hear this, it's terrible. All the best wishes to Lorenzo!!
(Of course you taking over the poll is not part of the "terribility".)

Regarding 26 nominations, the fact that Logan with his experience with the system has offered to sacrifice his spot probably means that there is no technical possibility to just have a poll with more places, right?

Of course we could also share a spot between two nominations; that's probably better than somebody sacrificing it. Everyone who votes for one of the two things on a shared spot could just write what the vote is meant for. (If needed, somebody could announce a result for those at some time, but chances are this is not the most important thing on earth.)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 09:38
My preference is not to give up my spot but to have a spot shared -- in other words, both of the selections share one poll option space.  I often do polls that way and If I were running the poll that's how I would want to do it.  There are at least four kinds of options for this and future polls

1. I could give up my spot for Mila, which I would prefer to having Mila out (Mila might not agree, but I can be pretty persuasive). ;)  I actually prefer Mila's choice to my own, and had I known it I would have suggested it.  I love it.

2. A poll option/ poll space could be shared, which is my preference and how I would do it if this were my poll turn.  For instance if teamed with my option, have that poll option space as "Edda Dell'Orso - Cosa avete fatto a Solange or  Silvia Pérez Cruz "Mañana" (which would require a little editing to make it fit, but you could shorten my entry as is seen fit.)  Since it's multiple votes and we list our choices I don't see this as a problem.  One could vote for either option in that space or vote twice for both options.

3.  This poll itself could be done in two parts as two polls, but I think that's not a good idea (messy and may be confusing)

4. One option could be listed as votable as  a write-in vote only, but not in the poll options since  we list what we vote for ina post anyway.  People might miss that though.  In that case at least the write-in only option would be in the youtube playlist.

Option two is my preference, but I didn't suggest that at first because I had a feeling Lorenzo might find that a less simple solution.

This is what I wrote in response to Mila when Mila refused my original offer to have my option replaced:

Quote Of course one could break it up into multiple polls, have one mentioned and in the youtube playlist that people can write-in vote for while not being in the actual poll options, or we could have more than one song in one option. I'd go for the more than one in an option choice, I think., in this multiple choice poll since we write-in our three choices anyway aside from voting in the poll.  For me the votes don't matter nearly as much as the listening to each other's choices and comments (not that we have to say something about those that people mention, and I only sometimes do -- that can be very time-consuming).  So for instance,  one poll option might have Celine Dione's My Heart Will Go On and On and On coupled with Heart's Dreamboat Annie (for a heart to heart option) and people could vote for either or both (from the three total votes, and then list what they chose).

i'd very happily share a space, and this is not so that it seems at first glance like my option actually got any votes. ;)  Up to Lorenzo though how he wants to go about with this.  That said, there is a text limit and I think m option would need abbreviating to fit in with yours and stylistically when I do multiple options in a poll line I tend to put them at the end (or alphabetically).  Also with the youtube  playlist, it might now be easier putting it at the end.  I don't know as I don't make the playlists.  Still, very happy to share an option with you if okay.

If option 2 is not pleasing to you, then I request from you, since you are now leading this poll with Lorenzo's unfortunate accident, as well as Mila, that my option be replaced.  Ultimately I would be okay with either choice.

Stylistically, Mila's choice would look better to me teamed up with the person who suggested one for option 25 (also a person new to these) -- Dark Ness choice, but then he'd have to agree.  When I do my poll next week, I will take the more than one option per poll choice route if we go over 25 and specify that in my OP.  It is slightly messier option than just replacing mine with Mila's, but I don't see  a problem for the multiple choice poll.  I often do polls with more than 25 options by including more than one choice in a poll line where people can vote once in that line for one option, and twice if they like both if done as multiple choice.  If I share the line, I do think most if not all of the votes would go to Mila's choice.

I hope that's clear, but it's up to you both how you want to proceed.

EDIT: This took me more than 15 minutes to finish writing, and I see that Lewian and I are on the same page.

Edited by Logan - June 03 2021 at 09:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:08
So far we have 2 votes for sharing a poll space (and in this case, I'm thinking Logan and Mila-13, as he first offered his full space and is suggesting this split as an option)....I have to run some errands, so will see what others have to say, I may have to ask for help in creating that option, as I haven't done it before, but it may be very evident how to do so, once I get into it.  

Thank you both Lewian and Logan for your input so far. Smile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:26
I swear, I go to sleep at night and nothing much has been happening, then when I get up in the morning, the world has completely moved on to another plane of existence.  LOL

Anyway, sorry to hear about Lorenzo's knee.  I hope he has a speedy recovery and wish my good friend the best.  Hope to see you again soon!

This poll has become quite the event and it's so good to see so much participation.  We might need our own category here soon with the option to add more slots, which seems to be impossible.  I like the doubling up option and then having the person in charge of the thread keep track of the votes, but that option could also get messy if the poll continues to grow.  The voting ends up just becoming a way to officially end the thread and to move on to the next, so the most important thing ends up being the sharing of music and the voting is more like feedback, though I find it most interesting to see what everyone else likes and thinks about the songs.

Not sure what the answer is, but it's good to see the interest in it all.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:29
Now, Lorenzo, what a silly idea to break a knee, you shouldn't do that. You only have two of them so be careful with them. People say "break a leg" but they don't mean it, and they don't say "break a knee"... Also, I suggest you stop typing your messages on PA with your knees: especially now one is broken, words might get out in a different way then you intended...
Anyway, and all jokes aside, I hope the fracture is not a complex one and that you will have a speedy recovery.

Regarding the 26 suggestions for 25 poll-spaces, I agree with Lewian's idea, and Greg's option 2, of making a poll line be shared by two participants: in this case Logan and Mila. In their messages the participants can explicitly say to which track their vote is going. Since the voting itself is the fun gimmick of these polls, but the real value is in the sharing of the music and the exchanges, this seems to me the most elegant solution.
When/if this happens again, maybe this - to share a poll space - could be reserved for the later additions (and if we get more than 50 nominations, than a third addition to each space... Tongue).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Now, Lorenzo, what a silly idea to break a knee, you shouldn't do that. You only have two of them so be careful with them. People say "break a leg" but they don't mean it, and they don't say "break a knee"... 

When I was living in Italy, I remember having a discussion with a friend there when we were discussing idioms from both countries.  He thought it was funny saying "Break a leg is not a very nice way to wish someone good luck".  In Italian, the phrase they use to wish someone good luck is "in bocca al lupo".  I told him I would rather have a broken leg than be "in the mouth of the wolf".

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:38
With the pick-up in the numbers of participants, I was anticipating that this issue might well happen.  I would have suggested the split at first in the poll thread but feared that people would complain.

Regarding the 25 poll option limit, that is the maximum that this forum software allows, so I couldn't change that to higher even when I wanted to alter the forum settings.  Also, for future polls, it's important for people to remember to include something for all 25 poll options since if you don't then only those spaces will be available.  Good thing Lorenzo did.  Some of the Interactive polls have had less options because about 17 nominations was the max until recently.

By the way, I'll be doing my poll next week.  I had planned to do it on Tuesday (to leave exactly two weeks between polls), but I will wait until Thursday because this last poll is so chock full of options and the voting phase will be coming up a week and a half after the poll started which would leave little time to listen to so many selections and decide on our three choices.  I could do it on Friday if people prefer, but I don't want to delay the following polls as much as possible.  The voting phase will commence one week after I start my poll and all final nominations should be in by then.  I wouldn't have a problem with the suggestions phase and voting phase in two polls overlapping as I see no problem with two Interactive Polls being active at the same time, but my impression has been that some would find overlap onerous.. 

I mentioned it before, but so people if they have the time can prepare a bit, my theme will be "Heaven-Sent or Hell-Bent?"  I'll ask people to post a song that they relate to or evokes heaven and one to hell (or one or the other).  There will be space for interpretation, it need not be taken literally.  I wanted to do that as another duos poll, but I think that could be far too onerous, especially if the number of respondents remains high.  They can mention up to four choices I think formally, but more along the discussion way I think if they want to as it's a big subject.  I won't decide or think much on my choices until they day I prepare the poll as while I like to think out the themes in advance, I tend to like to be spontaneous when it comes to my choices for some reason (overthinking makes my brain hurt).

Speaking of its own category, I seriously have wanted to create a subforum devoted to Interactive Polls, but don't feel that would be taken well and so haven't suggested this change.  I also have wanted to try some non-music interactive polls, such a s short film interactive poll or an interactive film trailer poll (I tested the waters on that last idea before, but then felt it wouldn't get as interactive as I like and would just end up as another list-making exercise where we don't check out an comment on each others choices).  I have long felt that too much of this forum ended up just being about personal list-making (I love making lists myself) and lose the interactive component where it seems we aren't listening to each-other and each other's choices, which is why I love this series idea.    

Edited by Logan - June 03 2021 at 10:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:47
I feel secure enough that sharing the space is the best option for this time, so will enter that into the poll thread and create the new voting topic tomorrow.  Thank you all for all of your input and your flexibility (and may Lorenzo regain his flexibility, as far as his knee, soon).

I agree that the fun of these polls is in the discussion, rather than the votes.  
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 11:17
I don’t think the voting really matters too much in the interactive poll, as it is very much about the discussion more than the poll. For this reason, I think Greg’s idea of sharing spots in the poll (as he does in his own polls elsewhere on the forum) is a great idea, and perfectly suited for the interactive polls. Given that people always post who they have voted for, in a way the poll tally is somewhat redundant.

Regarding my non-participation in this topic, and my leaving halfway through the last, I just found myself busy doing other things, and with not enough time to give the interactive polls the time they very much deserve. With any luck I will be able to participate in Heaven and Hell.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 11:48
^  I would be very disappointed if you don't participate in that, Nick.  Here's hoping.  Even if you think you might not get the chance to fully participate or vote at all, I would love to still hear some music in that topic from you (whether nominated or not) if you find the time and desire.

Time often is an issue.

By the way, I have noticed that some participants in various  past polls have nominated or mentioned music and then not taken part in the voting or I think the listening process, but then some I think haven't really "got" what the series is about (not everyone will read the OP).  Some just see the topic and mention music.  Still, I enjoyed hearing their music and some just meant to mention the music rather than participate in the full process.

One time I nominated music and then life got in the way, and I didn't find the time to come back and list my voted for choices (and I kind of forgot about it as responsibilities and other concerns got in the way).  One time I did it considerably later, but I felt awkward doing that.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I don’t think the voting really matters too much in the interactive poll, as it is very much about the discussion more than the poll. For this reason, I think Greg’s idea of sharing spots in the poll (as he does in his own polls elsewhere on the forum) is a great idea, and perfectly suited for the interactive polls. Given that people always post who they have voted for, in a way the poll tally is somewhat redundant.

Regarding my non-participation in this topic, and my leaving halfway through the last, I just found myself busy doing other things, and with not enough time to give the interactive polls the time they very much deserve. With any luck I will be able to participate in Heaven and Hell.

We all have had to sometimes not enter or comment, Nick.  No worries.  I will, however, miss the chance to probably agonize even more about my voting without a selection from you, as so far, I've really enjoyed what you've brought to the table here.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 15:58
I already posted in the main poll thread to wish Lorenzo a swift recovery. What a rotten thing to happen to such a nice guy (even if he's from Milan LOL... Just joking, Lorenzo, you're lovelySmile!).

Anyway, regarding the poll, I also endorse the idea of having two people share a line. I am so glad this initiative has taken off so well! It has really breathed new life in the forums. If nothing has changed, I will take charge of the poll after the one by Greg. I am quite sure you'll like the topic I have chosen Wink.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 16:20
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I already posted in the main poll thread to wish Lorenzo a swift recovery. What a rotten thing to happen to such a nice guy (even if he's from Milan LOL... Just joking, Lorenzo, you're lovelySmile!).

Anyway, regarding the poll, I also endorse the idea of having two people share a line. I am so glad this initiative has taken off so well! It has really breathed new life in the forums. If nothing has changed, I will take charge of the poll after the one by Greg. I am quite sure you'll like the topic I have chosen Wink.

Sounds great, Raff!  Looking forward to your next one, too.  My best to Micky, as well.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 17:32
Please say hi to Micky from me, Raff.  If it isn't Redneck Viking Metal -- basically country metal songs about redneck Vikings drivin' in their redneck Viking trucks to the latest place to pillage, Redneck-Viking boozin', Redneck-Viking gamblin', Redneck-Viking having problems with their Redneck-Viking cousin girlfriends,  and Redneck-Vikings getting into Redneck-Viking bar fights before heading off to redneck Viking Valhalla -- I'll probably be happy. :)

Edited by Logan - June 03 2021 at 17:33
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 11:13
I know that circumstances have meant that, very understandably, the nominations round of the latest poll has been extended.  I wish Lorenzo a speedy recovery, and good of Nickie to take it on.  That and the sheer number of nominations (26), and with that many now a round that lasts two weeks might seem onerous (to think it started being one week rounds).  I spoke about delaying my poll from the Tuesday, June 8th date that Lorenzo scheduled me for, but that date would still work best for my schedule.  I'm going to be very busy later on that week with an editing assignment -- doesn't mean I can't drop-in to PA, but will do so more for informal things like bad attempts at humour.  Also, that way others won't have to wait as long for their turn.

I hope people don't mind if I still put the topic up on Tuesday.  I don't see it as a problem if the nominations round is up while people are still voting in the other poll.  If there is less time for comments on the music, well, that's a shame.

If that is an issue, perhaps I could delay my round until later.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 11:22
I don't see it as a problem, it takes time to do the initial construction of the polls with rules etc.   I like that we have 2 weeks for each poll, especially since we've had an uptick in members, I like to do the music justice by giving a good listen.  I only have two to listen through the first time left with this poll, but I know I have a lot of time compared to many people.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 15:05
As I don't know what time zones the remaining two poll participants are in, I will give them until tomorrow am to make their wishes known.  If not by then, I will enter their first selections into the poll, but since it will be at the bottom, perhaps they will have time to let me know if they feel otherwise before listeners work their way through all of the songs.  I believe this is how this was handled in the past, if anyone has any objections, let me know, or if I should do this sooner, rather than by morning.  I think we've had some polls open up to voting on Saturday mornings in the past, as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 52>