Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inactive Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What would you like to see more of?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
4 [13.33%]
2 [6.67%]
2 [6.67%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
6 [20.00%]
8 [26.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inactive Poll
    Posted: June 25 2020 at 02:50
I've been a bit inactive on the polling front just lately, so here's a poll to find out what you'd all like to see more of, or even less of. Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 04:43
Something different. I started a topic "song of the week" recently. The rules were post a song from an artist that is relatively unknown (from the last 20 years) and discuss. Every week a new song would be added. One member would control the selection for three weeks and then pass the torch on to a different member. The goal of this was to bring exposure to new artists. Of course, the topic was an epic fail. Very few responses.

I would like discussions of current music more than the endless talk/polls of bands from 50 years ago.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:12
Whatever you want to do, Paul. Thank you for all of your hard work. Some of us really appreciate it and look forward to whatever direction you go next. You should consider writing a book called: "Proto-Prog 1968-1971."

I'd buy a copy.
The Prog Corner
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:22
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Something different. I started a topic "song of the week" recently. The rules were post a song from an artist that is relatively unknown (from the last 20 years) and discuss. Every week a new song would be added. One member would control the selection for three weeks and then pass the torch on to a different member. The goal of this was to bring exposure to new artists. Of course, the topic was an epic fail. Very few responses. 

Thanks for the mention of your "Song of the Week" thread. That particular thread completely passed me by at the time you posted it, just as it did with many other PA members too, apparently. Anyway, I hope your "Song of the Week" thread won't be quite such an "epic fail" now, because I just posted an obscure favourite of mine on there by Weyes Blood, having just checked to make sure she's not on ProgArchives. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:25
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Whatever you want to do, Paul. Thank you for all of your hard work. Some of us really appreciate it and look forward to whatever direction you go next. You should consider writing a book called: "Proto-Prog 1968-1971."

I'd buy a copy.
Thanks for your kind words. I think my Prog Britannia blog is probably long enough to fill a whole book by now. Smile 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I would like discussions of current music more than the endless talk/polls of bands from 50 years ago.
  I had missed that poll, I think because I usually don't get into doing polls.  That being said, I joined in on the Not Prog poll and found that fun, since it was all different kinds of music and then went on to do the related lesser-known Prog poll.  These I have enjoyed, since it's less feeling of competition, more of sharing what we like outside of progressive music and also sharing what we think is deserving that isn't the the "usual suspects."  I've enjoyed the discussions in those topics as well.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 11:19
The general consensus so far seems to be that there are too many polls already. Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 11:28
I do think there are too many polls and top ten list type topics going on most of the time. I'd like to see a wider variety of actual back-and-forth discussions. Too many topics generally, though, going on at any one time can dilute conversations too much methinks. I rather liked that at my old board we only had a few forums and not many active topics every day so all ended up talking together more (we also only had fewer active members so we were closer-knit).

I'll vote for something completely different. I want a wider variety of conversations, especially non-music ones, but not so many active topics at a given time that it becomes hard to engage with people at a fairly deep dive conversational level, and even in back-and-forth casual chit-chat. I'm not as into discussing politics here as some others as it gets very confrontational and I hate angry, sarcastic confrontation despite having put myself into it far too many times (I enjoy a synthesis of ideas and topics that facilitate non nit-picky types of conversations).

Edited by Logan - June 25 2020 at 11:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 11:45
Any twonk who tries to claim that the beastie boys is feckin prog, or that Simon amd Garfinkel are Genius or that the fickin beetlez is worth listening to...😎
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 11:52
Personally, I find the interactive Top 5 Songs threads and the Create Your Own Album threads are the most entertaining of all, and those are the kind of thread topics I've been contributing to most recently, having just about run out of ideas for more new polls, apart from this one of course. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 25 2020 at 12:08
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 12:08
To each his or her own. What sometimes put me off at this board is when you look at active topics and there are whole bunch of very similar topics going on at the same time. I do appreciate variety and wish there was a greater variety of topics and active discussions. Sometimes I want to engage with people in the moment, sometimes I want more time to explore and reflect on ideas. I definitely am more of an ideas driven person, even if they are not good ideas, than pragmatic.... I do like music polls where I discover new and interesting to me music and hopefully others do the same with my choices which is why I love the concept of the Interactive polls. I'm not interested in the umpteenth Genesis or Yes poll. I'm guilty of doing the same kinds of music again and again and not keeping it fresh (say with Magma, Comus and Robert Wyatt). I do like those polls and topics commonly where the topic poll starter tries to keep engaged with those who post in the topics no matter the topic as long as the OP is reasonably open-minded and cordial, and preferably has a sense of humour.

If doing music polls, I would like more focus on obscurities and less Prog ones. I'm not into contest type polls or topics generally (where it matters to anyone who is in the lead) -- making sport of art so to speak.

Edited by Logan - June 25 2020 at 12:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:05
Hi,

As long as it does not become a comparison ... which is better kind of thing ... I don't mind ... but I get tired of folks not talking about the whole thing as an art form ... it's all about their favorite jam, and "best" this or that, and that gets tiring, since it is pretty obvious that the "history" and other musicians are not even considered for their work.

All in all, fun polls are more like it for me.

All in all, I don't really enjoy participating in these. I prefer stuff/information that helps us understand and appreciate an artist ... not stuff that is meaningless. Music/Art for me is not a meaningless exercise ... it's a way of life and love!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:15
^^ I'm guilty of posting my own share of Genesis and Yes polls too. Smile The threads where I've generally discovered the most new music are the whole album threads, such as the "A-Z of Japanese Psychedelia" thread which I'm currently working on right now. I've listened to every album I've posted so far, most of which I'm hearing for the first time. ProgArchives is an endless resource for discovering new music and there's hardly a day goes by when I don't discover an amazing "new" album from the archives that I'd never heard before. I'll soon be entering my sophomore year here at the University of Prog, when my second semester begins in September. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 27 2020 at 17:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

As long as it does not become a comparison ... which is better kind of thing ... I don't mind ... but I get tired of folks not talking about the whole thing as an art form ... it's all about their favorite jam, and "best" this or that, and that gets tiring, since it is pretty obvious that the "history" and other musicians are not even considered for their work.

All in all, fun polls are more like it for me.

All in all, I don't really enjoy participating in these. I prefer stuff/information that helps us understand and appreciate an artist ... not stuff that is meaningless. Music/Art for me is not a meaningless exercise ... it's a way of life and love!
I happen to like Meaningless Songs in Very High Voices Tongue

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:33
Non-Prog Polls, man (and woman) cannot live by prog alone.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Non-Prog Polls, man (and woman) cannot live by prog alone.

Sounds good to me. I'll see what I can come up with. I think endless prog polls featuring "The Big Six" have probably been done to death by now. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:50
As Monty Python would say "now for something completely different." Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As Monty Python would say "now for something completely different." Tongue
Yes, I borrowed my tenth poll option from Monty Python. Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:21
Ok. Its a prog site. For prog people. We will have no trouble here!!!!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:54
I quite like the album ratings out of 10 polls of late. It's interesting to see the statistical shape of the responses as well as people's opinions. Ignoring the ones who give a low rating to provoke, and then the uber-fans who will have nothing to say negative about any albums from certain bands..., there is gold in between!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>