Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inactive Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What would you like to see more of?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
4 [13.33%]
2 [6.67%]
2 [6.67%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
6 [20.00%]
8 [26.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 16:57
I think what needs to be kept in mind is that different PA members want different things and have different amounts of time to spend on the forum.

I love the in depth discussions, and would love to spend much more time having long debates on the forum, but, with a very busy work schedule, and commitments outside of work, the time I can spend is limited.

The polls are a good way for members who don't have a lot of spare time to interact in the forum.

Whilst a lot of the polls on the "big six" are like groundhog day, I still enjoy being reminded about these great albums, and I still enjoy the polls

What I'm saying is that the forum needs a bit of both. Something for everyone. Opportunities for longer in depth discussions for those that want it, and quick dip in dip out polls for those who don't have as much time.
Songs cast a light on you
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 00:08
It's funny that the two options that appeal to me the most - the Create Your Own Albums threads and the Top 5 Songs polls - are the two options that no one's so far voted for. Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 00:28
Yeah...but the insidious, thin end of the wedgie is the elephant in the room. A lot want to ditch the prog dinosaurs to talk about Dolly Partons Bra size or how much the beatles accelerated the sales of St Michaels best seller...not to mention that Genesis only got interesting once they ditched all that prog nonsense and let collins out of his pop box...

Edited by M27Barney - June 26 2020 at 00:29
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 00:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's funny that the two options that appeal to me the most - the Create Your Own Albums threads and the Top 5 Songs polls - are the two options that no one's so far..

I have often hypothesized on the alternative history. Where SEBTP was a double album and phil collins was shot by a time travelling shape changing alien...not much stomach for extension for most here. They get bored and put the beastie boys on...

Edited by M27Barney - June 26 2020 at 00:55
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 07:47
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I quite like the album ratings out of 10 polls of late. It's interesting to see the statistical shape of the responses as well as people's opinions. Ignoring the ones who give a low rating to provoke, and then the uber-fans who will have nothing to say negative about any albums from certain bands..., there is gold in between!

Hi,

I appreciate, specially, the one thread where I made the comment about the top 30 not being doubled up as the same band, and immediately a whole bunch of folks posted listings with 30 different bands ... that was exciting, and thrilling, and far out for me ... for once ... I REALLY HAD SOME LISTENING TO DO ... instead of seeing the same damned things listed!

And yes, there are some great people here, many times. I think I need a nap now! EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:41
I've discovered more new music here on the Album Ratings threads than anywhere else, especially with regard to The Enid recently, where I found all of their albums on YouTube and then shared them with my proggy friends here. That was a real voyage of discovery. I'll have another Album Ratings thread coming up for you all soon, featuring the solo albums of Tony Banks, the legendary keyboard player with Genesis, having just discovered all of his full albums are currently available on YouTube. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 26 2020 at 09:42
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 13:06

I happen to like Meaningless Songs in Very High Voices Tongue

Hi,

I do too, but in a satirical mode, I love the things most people do not listen to ... like just spinning Pinball Wizard by Roger Ruskin Spear ... and both his albums are totally magnificent and out of this world ... but no one listens to them because it isn't crappy "prog" or "related" to prog.

I'm playing THE GOONS "Unchained Melodies" next ... "I'm Walking Backwards for Christmas" ... in on! And I think I will graduate to Randy Racquel after that ... I miss the loon'ery from my favorite social club of all ... being a charter member of the no longer existent "how sweet to be an idiot" club. I even miss the bit that no one has seen, or get ... their silent stint in "The Magical Mystery Tour" ... the very best thing in that silly excuse for a film!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 14:36
^^ Yes, I also meant I like "Meaningless Songs" in a satirical way, although I really DO like the real Bee Gees too, even though it may be considered a "Tragedy" to admit that on a Prog-Rock website. Smile

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 16:52
Polls are probably the easiest way for those who are unable/unwilling to voice their own opinions to contribute to the site. Perhaps having too many of these is one the reasons most discussion threads never develop very far?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 18:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I do think there are too many polls and top ten list type topics going on most of the time. I'd like to see a wider variety of actual back-and-forth discussions. Too many topics generally, though, going on at any one time can dilute conversations too much methinks. I rather liked that at my old board we only had a few forums and not many active topics every day so all ended up talking together more (we also only had fewer active members so we were closer-knit).

I'll vote for something completely different. I want a wider variety of conversations, especially non-music ones, but not so many active topics at a given time that it becomes hard to engage with people at a fairly deep dive conversational level, and even in back-and-forth casual chit-chat. I'm not as into discussing politics here as some others as it gets very confrontational and I hate angry, sarcastic confrontation despite having put myself into it far too many times (I enjoy a synthesis of ideas and topics that facilitate non nit-picky types of conversations).
Clap
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 20:48
There are indeed too many polls. I particularly find all those "rate teh album 1-10" polls kinda meh. But. What I'd like to see more of, are threads that spur discussions. Something inspiring. I dunno.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 23:14
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Polls are probably the easiest way for those who are unable/unwilling to voice their own opinions to contribute to the site. Perhaps having too many of these is one the reasons most discussion threads never develop very far?
The same thing probably applies to voting in a polling booth during a general election: if voters had to write a long essay on their ballot paper giving a detailed explanation of why they're voting for a particular candidate instead of simply placing an "X" in a box, then I'm guessing not many people would bother turning up to vote. Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 00:30
I quite like favourite album polls as they occasionally give me useful recommendations as long as it doesn't always include the obvious ones!
The top five songs polls are good fun , no issue with those!
Also like the 'make your own album' threads , again they are just a fun thing. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 00:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I quite like favourite album polls as they occasionally give me useful recommendations as long as it doesn't always include the obvious ones!
That's good to know. Thumbs Up I have a brand new Make Your Own Jon and Vangelis Album thread up-and-running and I'll have another Top 5 Songs poll coming up shortly, although I haven't decided who the featured artist is going to be yet. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:07

That's good to know. Thumbs Up I have a brand new Make Your Own Jon and Vangelis Album thread up-and-running and I'll have another Top 5 Songs poll coming up shortly, although I haven't decided who the featured artist is going to be yet. Smile

I'm struggling to find that one. Did you post it in the wrong forum by mistake? 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:23
^ found it in the prog-related lounge , somewhere I don't normally go Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:35

^ found it in the prog-related lounge , somewhere I don't normally go Smile

I wasn't sure whether to post it there or in the usual Top 10 Lists thread. Smile

You may have inspired me to create a  Billy Joel Top 5 Songs poll, having just taken a look at the Song of the Week thread. Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 03:26
Hi,

Honestly?

WE NEED A BOTTOM 5 LISTING ... tired of the top of the pops sch mucking!

... and THE MASKED MARAUDERS can't count ... it's not progressive at all ... it's so regressive, it's funny! But, c'mon ... even drunk we all would like to sing Duke of Earl ... or Season of the Witch done up properly and with the guest vocalists! 

Even Micky would appreciate this one!

Edited by moshkito - June 28 2020 at 03:30
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 03:51
^^ You just named one of my favourite songs.....

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity - Season of the Witch

It's time for me to start putting together my Billy Joel Top 5 Songs list now. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 04:27
Something completely different - though I admit, I have absolutely no idea what that could be at this time.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>