Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nemo - Most Underrated Prog Band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nemo - Most Underrated Prog Band?
    Posted: June 25 2020 at 07:53
French band led by Jean-Pierre Louveton released nine stellar studio albums between 2002 and 2015 but get no love here (or anywhere else for that matter.) Why is this? Other artists with non-English lyrics garner quite a bit of attention but Nemo is all but completely forgotten. Hopefully JPL's solo career will take off and lead people to this rich vein of guitar-driven symphonic rock. My ratings for their studio albums:

Le Nouveau Monde 6.5/10
Presages 7/10
Prelude A La Ruine 7.5/10
Si Partie 1 9.5/10
Si Partie 2 8.5/10
Barbares 9/10
Revolu$ion 9/10
Le Ver Dans Le Fruit 9/10
Coma 9.5/10

(The new JPL solo LP, Sapiens Chapter 1/3 Exordium, gets a 10/10 from me.)

Am I alone in this obsession?

Edited by miamiscot - June 25 2020 at 13:02
The Prog Corner
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 07:57
Maybe more than underrated, they are overlooked, unknown to many. They deserve better. 
I wonder how known they are in their native France. 

I haven't heard all their albums, what what I did hear was awesome. Great band! 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 07:59
One of the most underrated, for sure.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:19
Perhaps the trouble is in Finding Nemo.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:25
I agree, they are sadly overlooked. I only own and know well their last two albums but I think they're both incredible.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:26
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hahah, that movie's Turkish translation is "Kayıp Balık Nemo" ("The Lost/Missing Fish Nemo")

Edited by Shadowyzard - June 25 2020 at 08:31
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:30

funny, nevertheless this band does not deserve mockery. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:31
Tom Thumb: the most underrated giant? All joking aside, I'm not familiar with their output and that's probably the best possible objective to address for any threadThumbs Up

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 25 2020 at 08:32
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 11:19

LOL  Haa! Rof!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Tom Thumb: the most underrated giant? All joking aside, I'm not familiar with their output and that's probably the best possible objective to address for any threadThumbs Up

Definitely hoping this post spurs a little interest in Nemo. (Recommended for fans of Yes, Rush, Spock's Beard and/or Transatlantic.)
The Prog Corner
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 13:17

Very good.

One might also say that the mysterious [Captain] Nemo is not so much underrated in terms of the rating values, but more that he has just been sailing in largely uncharted waters. The albums have good ratings, but not huge numbers of ratings. It actually has got plenty more ratings than a lot of my favourites.

Présages was one of my first modern prog acquisitions when trying to modernise my tastes back in about 2005 as I was so stuck in the 60s an 70s. I liked it, but I haven't played it many years.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 17:16
I got to know them until they released their last album... which is the one I have got, and then found out it was bound to be their last one. I really liked it a lot, but then I tried a few songs from previous albums, and somehow didn't seem to have the same quality to me... perhaps I needed a deeper immersion.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 23:12
Not the most overlooked band on the archives, they have been mentioned here and there over the years in the forum, plus I saw many reviews for their albums and that's how I got to know them. I have their first 3 albums but grew tired of them, they are definitely a good band, I need to check out something of their newer stuff.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 23:38
Je ne sais pas pourquoi c’est comme ca.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 08:26
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Je ne sais pas pourquoi c’est comme ca.

c'est un mystère
The Prog Corner
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:27
Sorry, but I can think of tons of bands discussed less and that are more overlooked than Nemo. Some of their albums are rated pretty high on here too with a few with over 100 and even over 200 ratings. I would say that's far from overlooked. They even played at Progday one year.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 26 2020 at 09:28
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:30
I don't think they're underrated but Présages is pretty awesome.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 11:43
How can they be underrated? They had an album in the top 250 for years

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 11:48
I couldn't say NEMO is a underrated band. I know them due PA and during the last years its the french band I'm most listen. Great secuence of solid albums. Coma is my favorite.  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:41
well , this thread could use some YT samples thrown around so we could get better acquainted with this second Nemo.....

... Since the first (and real) Nemo had Bréant and Marcoeur in its ranks (FTM, I thought I was opening a thread about that band).

TBH, their album artworks are repelling me... Looks like a second-rate neo-prog band from the 80's & 90's.

Edited by Sean Trane - July 22 2020 at 12:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>