4 [36.36%]
3 [27.27%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin Peaks vs. Fargo
    Posted: June 26 2020 at 16:33
While I am thinking mostly about the TV versions, one can take into consideration the TV shows and the movies. The poll is merely intended as a silly accessory to discussion on these shows and related avenues. I’ve been watching more of another series of late with some of the same feel, Carvivale, but that show hasn’t struck me as much as Fargo or Twin Peaks.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 16:41
I can't say that I have watched both as tv shows, Logan.  I was an avid Twin Peaks fan and also loved Fargo as a film.  Both were wonderful, dark comedies and well done.  I visited Snoqualmie Falls a couple of years ago, as it was convenient on a driving trip to and from Seattle while my son visited.  It was in the daytime, though.  Who could ever forget the foreboding traffic signal glowing red in the dark?
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 23:09
I loved Fargo as a film, and the series has been, I think, really terrific-- so good. It was due to come back in April for season four, but it was delayed. Each season tells a different story, and each has been very good in its own way, I think. I have yet to watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I only recently watched through all of the Twin Peaks TV series (the original two seasons followed by the 25 years later one) and ah, I loved it (including the often maligned, including by Lynch, season two). I'd love to visit Snoqualmie Falls. I have been not far off it many times, but never visited (that I can recall anyway). Hopefully next year I'll go -- it's not a long trip.

Edited by Logan - June 26 2020 at 23:14
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 23:49
For some reason it says "You cannot vote in this poll", but my vote goes to the memorable movie, Fargo, with its amusing portrayal of "Minnesota nice" politeness. I tried watching the bizarre Twin Peaks TV show, but the story was too convoluted and hard for me to follow, although I enjoyed the music of Angelo Badalamenti and bought the soundtracks from the two series.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 26 2020 at 23:49
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 05:26
I like both very much, but if I were pushed to choose only one of them my vote would go to "Twin Peaks" because of its mysterious atmosphere. but since I am not pushed I vote for both

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 09:59
I caught a bit of Twin Peaks in its original run, but it needs to be paid attention to and watched sequentially. I had free time recently and binged all of Twin Peaks (the series, not the film yet). It hooked me right from the beginning.   Perhaps because I watched it in the manner I did, instead of a week between episodes, I didn't find it overly complicated/ convoluted. Due to that mysterious atmosphere, It's not going to be all spelled out for you, and it sure could get very odd. I'm glad that I opted to go back and watch Eraserhead again before watching this show. I love the surrealism of Twin Peaks.So much of it is dreamlike, and the humour is wonderful. I thought in season two it did get too goofy at times (I groaned on various occasions).

I loved the soap opera (with its own twists on that) qualities of the first season especially. The 25 years later Twin Peaks (2017 I think) was an amazing return. The atom bomb episode was so artistic, and just hearing Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima was powerful in and of itself.

As for Fargo the TV series, that is brilliant too, and I binged each season. The first one is the season that moved me and got me the most, but I loved all three. At the time it was the greatest thing for me. Having more recently really got into Twin Peaks.

A show compared To Twin peaks, and apparently influenced by it, is Lost, but that is one of which I lost out on watching much. The Prisoner, the 60s Bristish show, was always a favourite of mine, and that has some intrigue and humour that I would think might appeal to Twin Peaks and Fargo (the show especially) fans. One likes Preacher too. And my daughter got me watching Riverdale, which seemed obviously influenced by Twin Peaks (never as satisfying to me).

I need to watch Fire Walk With Me soon, and I would like to read related materials.

Anyway, Twin Peaks and Fargo -- both amazing I think, and both shine. Much as I loved the film of Fargo, for me the series I love even more. Well, there's more to love. I find it funny at times and very poignant (very sad at times). It moved me very much on different occasions. For those who liked the film, I do recommend seeing the series. With Twin Peaks, I feel with season three that's one hell of a come back, and with the series of Fargo, I think, now that is one hell of a show based on a film. Superb.

I could rave on and on about both series. I voted both by the way -- it worked for me.

Edited by Logan - June 27 2020 at 10:01
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 10:39
Yes...the poll is screwed up...says one cannot vote.
At any rate I'll pick Twin Peaks....the tv series ...over Fargo.
I prefer the 'weirdness' in Peaks.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 10:40
Until I came across this thread today, I wasn't aware of the Fargo TV series, or the Twin Peaks movie. Smile

I'm still not sure why I'm unable to vote in your poll. Confused
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 10:47
^ It's probably a software glitch.

Twin Peaks started a s a tv series...then a film...Fargo started as a film then series.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 10:52
It's likely because I should have put it in the Polls section, I was careless, and voting is disabled for most in the forum. Moving the topic.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:07
I really loved this series when I was in my teens:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:11
Twin Peaks had that other-worldy feel to it - watching it all those years ago, you never quite knew where it was going. Fargo is great TV, but never grabbed me the same.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:11
I love both series, Twin Peaks I saw at the age of 13 maybe and it really grabbed me, I loved the atmosphere the weirdness and the mystery. Funny that only recently I've been trying to get a hold of the show and watch it again (It has been more than 25 years). I wonder what kind of an effect it will have on me now...

Fargo is one of my top "new" 5 series, I especially liked season 2 with its 70's soundtrack. 

And what's the relation to Snoqualmie Falls? I had been there about 3 years ago on a holiday which ended up in Vancouver before going home.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I really loved this series when I was in my teens:

I haven't heard of that. One non-English language one that I think fits well that I loved is Lars von Trier's Riget (The Kingdom).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:15
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I love both series, Twin Peaks I saw at the age of 13 maybe and it really grabbed me, I loved the atmosphere the weirdness and the mystery. Funny that only recently I've been trying to get a hold of the show and watch it again (It has been more than 25 years). I wonder what kind of an effect it will have on me now...

Fargo is one of my top "new" 5 series, I especially liked season 2 with its 70's soundtrack. 

And what's the relation to <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Snoqualmie Falls? I had been there about 3 years ago on a holiday which</span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> ended up in Vancouver before going home.</span>

Those are the falls featured prominently in Twin Peaks.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:17
Twin Peaks' rules!! Fargo was a funny movie, still is. But Twin Peaks pretty much reset the TV series format and delved into deep dark stuff, it had its funny moments.
Plus the "Twin Peaks" cafe in North Bend is great, excellent pie! Actual name is Twedes Cafe  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:21
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Twin Peaks' rules!! Fargo was a funny movie, still is. But Twin Peaks pretty much reset the TV series format and delved into deep dark stuff, it had its funny moments.
Plus the "Twin Peaks" cafe in North Bend is great, excellent pie! Actual name is Twedes Cafe  

As soon as this Covid crisis is over, and the weather is warm again, I'm going to make a pilgrimage there. I hope they have excellent cherry pie and coffee (I'll take it black -- that matters). Twin Peaks was amazing, it could be disturbing, deranged and so very delightful. Such an influential show. Though I got into it late, much better late than never. My cherry tree is full of cherries, though the crows get at them, I should make some pie.

Edited by Logan - June 27 2020 at 11:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:27
Thanks for fixing the glitch. Thumbs Up I'm able to vote now and I voted for Fargo, the movie.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As soon as this Covid crisis is over, and the weather is warm again, I'm going to make a pilgrimage there. I hope they have excellent cherry pie and coffee (I'll take it black -- that matters). Twin Peaks was amazing, it could be disturbing, deranged and so very delightful. Such an influential show. Though I got into it late, much better late than never. My cherry tree is full of cherries, though the crows get at them, I should make some pie.
That sounds like a good plan....They have great pics on the wall too. Squirrels get our cherries
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:38

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

That sounds like a good plan....They have great pics on the wall too. Squirrels get our cherries

Oh, yeah, the squirrels are often up our tree too, and raccoons at night We just got a ton of cherries this year so I still have plenty despite the foraging by the crows, squirrels and raccoons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>