3 [27.27%]
4 [36.36%]
3 [27.27%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 13:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I really loved this series when I was in my teens:

I haven't heard of that. One non-English language one that I think fits well that I loved is Lars von Trier's Riget (The Kingdom).

There was another interesting series from thee same production team with almost exactly the same actors, but it was fantasy instead of SF:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabela_(TV_series)

Both series were exceptionally well done, and there was a lot of humour (I prefer the British spelling to the US spelling; it's the one I learned as a kid) in them too.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 27 2020 at 13:14

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 13:27
Hi,

At the time I saw some of the TP stuff I did not care for it much, and later I saw FWWM, and for some reason, I still did not like David Lynch's stuff ... maybe because I was not "new" to this kind of thing in film, and there were/are many of these through out Europe that are really crazy and off its rock!

Fargo, for me was fine, but I think it lacked one thing that I liked way back when ... French comedy have a lot of that "I don't give a sheep dip" in them, and I felt that Fargo went after too many gags to make it seem funny, and it just didn't grab me ... it did have some funny performances, no doubt there, but the whole thing just didn't exactly grab me, as much as i thought it might ... the Coen's, have a lot of films that were well seen and appreciated in America, but I, personally, did not think much of a lot of them, to the point that I even stopped reviewing anything they did ... it just felt empty for me! Kinda "forced" to be funny, or weird, and it just wasn't the kind of thing I like to watch. I prefer the surprise, the total lunacy and crazy cartooning of the "comedy" ... and I miss some of the great beauties in European films that won't get seen because of a lot of these things ... I miss that film about the guy who is becoming a cartoon as he is falling in love ... the mix of cartoon and reality is totally far out and crazy ... and the best we can do is a "Fargo".

David Lynch, is another story. I think that he started wanting to be another "Luis Bunuel" but he did not have the serious sentiments and background of history and insanity that Luis had, and since American history was about Walt Disney ... (yak yak!!!) ... it meant that all he could really lampoon in his work was some of these traditions ... and sometimes, I thought these were "fake" thoughts and ideas, not realities, and for me it took away some of the greatness of the films. And having Kyle Mc trying to copy a series of Bunuel characters was not on my list of enjoyments. 

His films, did have some interesting things, but all in all, I think that the writing was lacking, and it became just a series of visual something or other in what reminded me of a lot of times of having been stoned ... and even the things that you knew, were like ... you don't know them!

Both a nice bunch of films, though, entertaining, although I seem to appreciate them better today than I did when I first saw these.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 13:53
With Twin Peaks, I think that it's his co-creator Mark Frost who brought in many of the most interesting ideas. I think of Twin Peaks as being like psychodrama, and Jungian archetypes are evoked.

As for Fargo, if you haven't seen the series, I expect that you will prefer that to the film. Honesty, it so very well done. It's asort of anthology series, in that each season tells a different story. I prefer the series to the film. Season one, especially, really grabbed me. I rank it as one of the very best shows that I have seen.

I know availability has been something of an issue for you with these things, but the series Fargo is worth watching even if one wasn't that keen on the film.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 20:58
Having just re-joined Netflix, I'm finally starting on Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. :)
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 21:23

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Twin Peaks' rules!! Fargo was a funny movie, still is. But Twin Peaks pretty much reset the TV series format and delved into deep dark stuff, it had its funny moments.
Plus the "Twin Peaks" cafe in North Bend is great, excellent pie! Actual name is Twedes Cafe  

As soon as this Covid crisis is over, and the weather is warm again, I'm going to make a pilgrimage there. I hope they have excellent cherry pie and coffee (I'll take it black -- that matters). Twin Peaks was amazing, it could be disturbing, deranged and so very delightful. Such an influential show. Though I got into it late, much better late than never. My cherry tree is full of cherries, though the crows get at them, I should make some pie.

That sounds like a good plan....They have great pics on the wall too. Squirrels get our cherries

Oh, yeah, the squirrels are often up our tree too, and raccoons at night We just got a ton of cherries this year so I still have plenty despite the foraging by the crows, squirrels and raccoons.
You are lucky, you must have many trees.....We only have two, several apple trees and she runs a huge garden.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 09:19
I only have one big cherry tree, but it's put out so many cherries this year -- a ton is an exaggeration, but plenty compared to other years. My favorite tree is a large and majestic Sakura (Japanese cherry blossom tree).

IN terms of Twin Peaks, ah I would love to live in a town, preferable one without murders, Bob, or a black lodge, I did watch Fire Walk with Me last night -- I liked it, but not as much as the series. I found it too scrutable, less mysterious, it didn't answer any questions I felt needed answering, and well, I would have liked more Cooper. My favourite scene involved Chris Issak's and Kiefer Surherland's characters describing a woman in a red dress. It was odd to see a different person playing Donna.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 10:14

I only have one big cherry tree, but it's put out so many cherries this year -- a ton is an exaggeration, but plenty compared to other years. My favorite tree is a large and majestic Sakura (Japanese cherry blossom tree).

IN terms of Twin Peaks, ah I would love to live in a town, preferable one without murders, Bob, or a black lodge, I did watch Fire Walk with Me last night -- I liked it, but not as much as the series. I found it too scrutable, less mysterious, it didn't answer any questions I felt needed answering, and well, I would have liked more Cooper. My favourite scene involved Chris Issak's and Kiefer Surherland's characters describing a woman in a red dress. It was odd to see a different person playing Donna.
A cult movie now, a bomb at the box office LOL....yea it was weird not seeing Lara Boyle.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:16
By the way, did anyone catch Lynch's What Did Jack Do? short film on Netflix? If not, I found it worth watching.

I am surprised that there aren't more fans of Twin Peaks and Fargo at the forum. Just seven between both? I bet I could find a lot more at reddit. ;) Am re-watching season three (the Return) of Twin Peaks. I love the characterisations, and despite any horror (still plenty of humour), ultimately the heart.

By the way, I know not many people like podcasts, but there's a fine Twin Peaks podcast called Diane. https://diane.libsyn.com/

Edited by Logan - August 05 2020 at 17:21
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:48
Neither
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 09:11
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Neither

Because you tried either the series or films or both and couldn’t get into them, because you don’t know them? Or....

I am as interested in hearing why something doesn’t appeal as to why it does with individuals, and it’s the details that most interest me,
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 00:34
I really enjoyed the Fargo TV series especially the season with Alison Tolman. She recently cropped up in the sci-fi show Emergence playing virtually the same character. The film Fargo never did it for me despite Francis McDormand's Oscar winning turn . I always felt that Coen Brothers blew hot and cold with so many things although I loved the Western they did for Netflix ( The Legend Of Buster Scuggs i think it was called) and also No Country for Old Men which is classic but otherwise I think they get a bit up their own bum making lots of film references to old Hollywood films.

Twin Peaks - always a fan and the film was excellent and perhaps not as weird as expected. The recent TV series was good 'fun' but made absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. I don't mind that much , Lynch is all about weirdness for the sake of it. I voted for Fargo on the strength of the TV series although I preferred the Twin Peaks film. 
BTW slightly of topic but Mulholland Drive must be one of the best films ever. Staggering what Lynch pulled off there IMO.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 04:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I really enjoyed the Fargo TV series especially the season with Alison Tolman. She recently cropped up in the sci-fi show Emergence playing virtually the same character. The film Fargo never did it for me despite Francis McDormand's Oscar winning turn . I always felt that Coen Brothers blew hot and cold with so many things although I loved the Western they did for Netflix ( The Legend Of Buster Scuggs i think it was called) and also No Country for Old Men which is classic but otherwise I think they get a bit up their own bum making lots of film references to old Hollywood films.

Twin Peaks - always a fan and the film was excellent and perhaps not as weird as expected. The recent TV series was good 'fun' but made absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. I don't mind that much , Lynch is all about weirdness for the sake of it. I voted for Fargo on the strength of the TV series although I preferred the Twin Peaks film. 
BTW slightly of topic but Mulholland Drive must be one of the best films ever. Staggering what Lynch pulled off there IMO.

Yep, the first series of Fargo is my favourite. With Twin Peaks, season three is my favourite (although season one is what hooked me). I felt I understood it well enough (and wouldn't mind the trip even if I didn't "get" everything). I tried to get me wife to watch Twin Peaks, but she found it too weird. It is quite ludicrous, especially, if one thinks of it as realistic -- the way people deal with "Dougie" (Kyle MacLachlan's not altogether there character before "the sleeper has awoken" to quote from Lynch/ Maclachlan's Dune) even though it's like he has had a severe stroke or something. I don't mind, and like the surrealistic qualities (I also like Eraserhead). In a way I sort of think of it as David Lynch and Mark Frost's dream. It probably helped that I binged all of Twin Peaks (minus the movie) over a few days and then saw Fire Walk With Me a couple of weeks later. The second season/series got a little too silly for me, but the ending was great. I liked the soap opera qualities of the first and found it quite delightful (and sometimes harrowing). The third could be very dark indeed, but still had delightful and humorous moments that I thought sparkled. And I thought the atom bomb episode was really trippin' (a very bad trip, though one might say).

I think it's so neat that they referenced Cooper and Laura Palmer meeting again in 25 years and the show came back about 25 years later.

I love the way the continued with the show, instead of the usual kind of a reboot. The next best TV return I can think of was with The League of Gentlemen also in 2017. And The X Files returned in 2016 -- both Twin Peaks and The X Files having had David Duchovny in them.

I agree with you one the greatness of Mulholland Drive, that's a film that blew me away. I do like the Coen Bros. films including the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I love the Big Lebowski -- I get that many do and many don't. Miller's Crossing has been my traditional favourite but I haven't seen it for decades. And I thought No Country For Old Men was great. I liked the film Fargo a lot when it came out, but I find the series much more satisfying.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 09:35
Both...but Twin Peaks.

It will probably forever remain one of my top 3 shows up there with The Sopranos and Six Feet Under (followed closely by The Americans)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12