Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman article = homeless?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman article = homeless?
    Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:24
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/06/the-stranger-than-fiction-secret-history-of-prog-rock-icon-rick-wakeman

I knew he had a rough patch with "King Arthur," but sleeping on park benches? 

On a cold winter night in 1980, a London bobby was walking his beat in Kensington Gardens when he spotted a man sleeping on a park bench. The bobby recognized him immediately from his long, straight golden hair. “Mr. Wakeman,” the officer said, trying to rouse the man. “Rick—get home to your missus. You’re pissed.”

Yes were very hard on keyboardists!  Pat Moraz also had a horrible time, financially, from what I've read. 

Edited by cstack3 - June 28 2020 at 01:26
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:50
I thought Rick had to stay away from the ‘turps’ since 1977 thereabouts ??
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 02:37
Great article
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 12:57
Great article, makes me realize again that rock starts lives are not always what people think, but a trail of success and failure, like everybody's else.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 14:30
A fantastic articleClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 14:33
A really good read, Cheers! :)

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 15:05
I guess that yellow-maned Morlock is uniquely recognizable.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 15:50
Great read! Many thanks for posting
Songs cast a light on you
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 16:09
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/06/the-stranger-than-fiction-secret-history-of-prog-rock-icon-rick-wakeman

I knew he had a rough patch with "King Arthur," but sleeping on park benches? 

On a cold winter night in 1980, a London bobby was walking his beat in Kensington Gardens when he spotted a man sleeping on a park bench. The bobby recognized him immediately from his long, straight golden hair. “Mr. Wakeman,” the officer said, trying to rouse the man. “Rick—get home to your missus. You’re pissed.”

Yes were very hard on keyboardists!  Pat Moraz also had a horrible time, financially, from what I've read. 
Patrick Moraz didn't fare much better with the Moody Blues either. Remember the music trial of the century in 1991?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 02:03
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

You'd think so, but I saw him play with Jon Anderson once and he told a very funny story about a waiter who recognised him in a restaurant and asked if Rick would sign some albums for him. Rick said ok so the waiter went home to get the albums and came back with a pile of Richard Clayderman albums. LOL
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 02:38
Fun article, but no mention of his tenure in Strawbs acting as a springboard to joining Yes, though. It reads 'Bowie to Yes'
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:08
Serves him right for leaving the Strawbs for Yes. Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 16:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You'd think so, but I saw him play with Jon Anderson once and he told a very funny story about a waiter who recognised him in a restaurant and asked if Rick would sign some albums for him. Rick said ok so the waiter went home to get the albums and came back with a pile of Richard Clayderman albums. LOL

Did he sign them? Big smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 16:59
Perhaps the most astounding fact

This month, he will release his 122nd (!) solo album, The Red Planet.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 05:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Did he sign them? Big smile
To be honest, I can't remember.
 Post Reply Post Reply