Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Section from "Tarkus"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What's Your Favorite Section from ELP's "Tarkus"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.57%]
4 [11.43%]
1 [2.86%]
4 [11.43%]
1 [2.86%]
15 [42.86%]
7 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Section from "Tarkus"?
    Posted: June 28 2020 at 21:42
"The weaver of the web that he made!" GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 22:34
Man that's a tough question, everything is so good in it! I guess I'll go with Battlefield (I think I have it right which one that is) for the awesome high notes Greg hits.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 01:18
Ah!  Not sure you can sub-divide like this.  Didn't they write the suite odd-instrumental, even-song?  I am sure this discussion will be repeated elsewhere but the extended version of 'Aquatarkus' on 'Welcome Back...' is absolutely sublime and one of those genuine acts of brilliance such a talented group could pull off.  As I assume we are discussing the studio version - and being forced to make a choice - I have gone for the opening 'Eruption'.  It's the first ELP I heard properly and it's still as exciting as when I first heard it around 1974...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 02:32
Aquatarkus live is impressive....gets my vote then...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 02:35
I can’t choose between Stones of Years and Battlefield.........I’m going for Battlefield..........I think......
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 03:06
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I will definitely be searching this out later on; thanks for the keen reminder.

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Ah!  Not sure you can sub-divide like this.
Which is exactly why I did it! Break the "rules" and spark conversation/debate! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:11
Eruption for me...that opening Emerson riff has been running through my head for literally decades.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:47
I love Tarkus as a whole, but Aquatarkus is probably my favorite section.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 07:46
I just love Greg's guitar and vocals on Battlefield. And in the live version, there's the Epitaph snippet!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:21
So hard to pick. Each section is great. Probably going with Mass but Aquatarkus is right up there along with Eruption
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:28
I've always loved the chord progression used in Stones of Years and Emerson's solo on the Live at Nassau Coliseum '78 album is for me, without equal in Prog.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 11:02
It's rather difficult, really. I cannot ghose one of them.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 12:32
I heard someone refer to one of the sections as the "marching ducks section" and you and I both know exactly what part they were referring to haha! Gonna have to relisten to know, but love it all.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 12:47
Great one!  

^ "Marching ducks" no doubt, thought I was the only one…  LOL   (not for the nickname, I believe I imagined moths..  but in liking it).

The more jazzy ones..  proud to be the first vote for "Iconoclast". Perhaps a more recently acquired taste. "Manticore" also.

Edited by Machinemessiah - June 29 2020 at 13:39
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 13:38
I always thought of marching ants. But that synth definitely sounds like ducks haha. I love all the parts, but I guess I'll give Manticore a vote. Love the interplay between the characters through the different organs.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 14:23
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">

</span><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">I will definitely be searching this out later on; thanks for the keen reminder.</span><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Ah!  Not sure you can sub-divide like this.
</span><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Which is exactly why I did it! Break the "rules" and spark conversation/debate! </span>Cool

The triple live album version of Tarkus sh*ts all over the studio version...in fact I only mostly listen to ELP live if you include PAAE...only studio I play is KE9, 1st and 3rd impressions...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 14:37
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Eruption for me...that opening Emerson riff has been running through my head for literally decades.

Its close between this and battlefield for me, but I think I'm going to join you here. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 02:02
Ignoring any live versions then Mass just for the unique 'clicking' technique that Emerson employs on that track. All of it is great though. ELP's masterpiece.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 02:06

The triple live album version of Tarkus sh*ts all over the studio version...in fact I only mostly listen to ELP live if you include PAAE...only studio I play is KE9, 1st and 3rd impressions...

Mostly I agree although the production of the studio version is amazing when you get the headphones on. Things whizzing around from all directions and little percussion sounds almost hidden. It was like being invited into some magical kingdom when I was kid. Totally obsessed with it for at least a year and wore out side one of the cassette!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 02:42
Tarkus is beyond amazing........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>