0 [0.00%]
4 [4.82%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull - Most Underrated Album?
    Posted: June 28 2020 at 23:08
For the record, in this poll or any similar ones, the album you choose doesn't have to be an unpopular one. You might consider that their most revered album is still underrated.  I'll leave it to you to decide whether an album can be 'underrated' by virtue of simply being obscure. 

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 23:17
I have a strong feeling it's one I haven't heard yet.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 23:24
War Child 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 00:19
A Passion Play is a solid 4.02 on this site, but I consider it an absolute masterpiece and deserves something much closer to a perfect 5.00.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 00:46
Minstrel.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 00:49
I voted Stormwatch which I like a lot. I didn't have a look at JT album ratings but I have a hunch that Stormwatch isn't much liked by many.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 00:54
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

A Passion Play is a solid 4.02 on this site, but I consider it an absolute masterpiece and deserves something much closer to a perfect 5.00.

It's a quirky creature but the kind of quirk that's really very endearing. It definitely requires multiple listens to start sinking in (except for the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles, which is clearly the most outlandish and hilarious passage in any of Tull's most popular albums right from the start).
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 01:09
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

I voted Stormwatch which I like a lot. I didn't have a look at JT album ratings but I have a hunch that Stormwatch isn't much liked by many.

I thought it was relatively disappointing compared with the previous two in what seemed to be a loose trilogy - but I certainly didn't dislike it. It's one I'd like to revisit.

I voted for Heavy Horses. It's often overlooked as some sort of follow-up to SFTW, but I think it's not only the better album, it might even be their best album, period. 

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 01:16
I thought I'd mention A - not so much the actual album, which I found very flat. But I remember watching the live video that came out at the same time, and in concert the songs really came to life and seemed much more engaging. I suspect A may have been a decent album spoiled by its production, but it's a fair while since I've heard it.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 01:19
I've always liked the Broadsword and the Beast. Never seems to get the attention some of the other albums get.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 01:26
Stormwatch

A - is an excellent album very much forgotten by old JT fans who prefer the golden period, I like it very much

Broad sword is another worthy album, Crest of knave aswell and even J-Tull dot com has plenty of memorable tunes, totally unnoticed
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 03:15
Aqualung.
It's rated below TAAB but I think it's better. In fact, it's their best album and the only one I would give 5* to.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 04:35
The Broadsword and the Beast - I've always loved this one and it seems to me some JT fans unnecessarily resent it. Well, the sound is quite different (more keyboards and synthesizers), but it's the 80's, isn't it? Look how Yes or Genesis changed they're sound and compositions. So JT was not the only one. IMO this album is very good and with Crest of Knave the best JT did in 80's.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:14
Benefit: an early classic too often overshadowed by the subsequent Aqualung.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:47
Probably Stand Up. Not only one of the top 5 Tull albums, but one of the best albums of 1969, no matter the artist.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:53
Minstrel could use some "bumping up". 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:56
I'll go with   A

not their best for sure but also a long way from their worst

Edited by digdug - June 29 2020 at 07:55
Prog On!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:15
A. And it features Eddie Jobson. Enough said.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:28
Roots to Branches
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:48
Probably Minstrell in the Gallery, since I hardly see any reviews or praise for Baker Street Muse, a fantastic piece of music.

Edited by Manuel - June 29 2020 at 06:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>