Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Section from "Karn Evil 9"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Favorite Section from ELP's "Karn Evil 9"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [26.09%]
2 [8.70%]
11 [47.83%]
4 [17.39%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Section from "Karn Evil 9"?
    Posted: June 29 2020 at 03:23
You know the drill; GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 03:34
Lol!  You have done it again.  Right up there with 'Tarkus' making it so hard to choose a particular section.  I love sitting through this in its entirety.  Anyway, if forced to choose, I go for the quite brilliant '2nd Impression' - I often wished there were more extended piano trio pieces on the studio albums ('Infinite Space' for example is horribly truncated) but this sort of makes up for it.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 03:38
First impression by many magnitudes. I always skip the middle bit....its sh*te...then the bombastic ending roars back, but not as good as the first bit...tbe problem with ELP...curates egg syndrome...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:05
Part Duex ! I love the focus on the piano, the steel drums and the tension in the middle section.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:49
The bit where Emerson goes all jazzy on the piano.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:51
The third option.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:02
I didn't quite understand why you divided the first impression in two parts. I voted for the first option, but to me the whole first impression is my favorite
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:15
I've never really paid attention to the subdivisions of the track, so I don't really know which has my favourite part. But my favourite part is the part which sounds like steel drums, starting from 14:30.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:00
Not the section that has been played on the radio. It's one of four ELP songs you hear on the radio.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 13:24
Fun Fact: the steel drum part quotes the jazz track St. Thomas, made famous by Sunny Rollins. It's a calypso-type tune, so fitting for the steel drum sound.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 13:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not the section that has been played on the radio. It's one of four ELP songs you hear on the radio.

Four? What's the fourth after Pt. 1, Lucky Man, and From the Beginning?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 14:05
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Fanfare For The Common Man has become associated with sporting events ever since the 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 14:37
Dos 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:57
3rd Impression easily although the live version is so much better. 1st Impression (both parts) is better on the album as the band had already been playing it live before it was recorded and it shows. 3rd Impression needed to be played live to really get the greatness out of it. The Cal Jam performance is especially brilliant.

Edited by richardh - June 30 2020 at 02:00
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:13
All of it! but if I have to choose, then 1st impression part 1
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:16

Still, you turn me on?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 12:26
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Fanfare For The Common Man has become associated with sporting events ever since the 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics.

Haven't heard it on FM in Southern California. Nor SiriusXM, but I wouldn't be surprised if they played it there. I once heard Watcher of Skies on there and was very surprised. Guess that kind of stuff just isn't played very often where I live in the States. Whatever, that's what Spotify is for.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 17:11
Always loved First Impression (Part 1) more than the more famous Part 2. The interaction between all of them is superb. The half minute from about 4.50 until the 'Step inside...' vocal line always gives me goosebumps.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 18:03
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

That's true. Fanfare was the theme song for the Bicycle Tour of Guatemala in the 80's and early 90's. It was only some years later that I found out it was an ELP track
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 18:23
I'll toss the radio part a vote. It was one of the songs that got commonly played at my university's football games last year and I have a lot of great memories of those football games since I'm in the marching band.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>