Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Outlandish Prog Suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThirstyFajita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Outlandish Prog Suggestion
    Posted: June 29 2020 at 14:44
I'm very new to these forums (please let me know if I'm doing something wrong with this post) but one thing I have enjoyed massively as I've been scouring the site ingesting all the prog is the discussions people have over whether or not certain bands classify as prog or not. The hard core for and against stances amuse me immensely and it got me thinking, what are some of the most outlandish requests for a bands inclusion (or one that particularly irks you) that you've seen on the forums?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:06
Originally posted by ThirstyFajita ThirstyFajita wrote:

I'm very new to these forums (please let me know if I'm doing something wrong with this post) but one thing I have enjoyed massively as I've been scouring the site ingesting all the prog is the discussions people have over whether or not certain bands classify as prog or not. The hard core for and against stances amuse me immensely and it got me thinking, what are some of the most outlandish requests for a bands inclusion (or one that particularly irks you) that you've seen on the forums?

I personally find some rejections much more outlandish than the suggestions.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 02:12
The usual suspects appear like perennial junk mail e.g. Grateful Dead, XTC, Phil Collins, Judas Priest, Velvet Underground, Tears for Fears, Allman Brothers, Television, Stranglers, Joe Jackson, PIL, Zombies, Magazine (the list goes on) Many of the aforementioned I enjoy hugely but don't consider them Prog or that this diminishes their music in the slightest. Most outlandish? the Beastie Boys Wacko
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 03:18
We also had Police coming up, and somebody even lobbied for Abba! (I don't think Abba ever was an official suggestion but I do remember one or two users stating at all fitting and unfitting occasions that Abba are prog for them.)

Edited by Lewian - June 30 2020 at 03:21
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The usual suspects appear like perennial junk mail e.g. Grateful Dead, XTC, Phil Collins, Judas Priest, Velvet Underground, Tears for Fears, Allman Brothers, Television, Stranglers, Joe Jackson, PIL, Zombies, Magazine (the list goes on) Many of the aforementioned I enjoy hugely but don't consider them Prog or that this diminishes their music in the slightest. Most outlandish? the Beastie Boys Wacko

I would consider The Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Judas Priest and the Stranglers to be worthy of addition. Honestly, albums like "Black and White" by The Stranglers, "Aoxomoxoa" or "Blues for Allah" by The Grateful Dead, "White Light, White Heat" by The Velvet Underground or "Sad Wings of Destiny" by Judas Priest are in my opinion full fledged prog albums. But apparently "progressive" does not mean the same for everyone.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 04:59

As far as I can remember, no one suggested the Beastie Boys for inclusion. The poster of the thread was just wondering whether the band might be considered progressive (which, as we all know, does not automatically mean prog or worthy of inclusion in our database).

On the other hand, none of the bands mentioned above are outlandish in the least, though the jury is still out on whether they deserve to be included in the PA database.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 05:48
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I would consider The Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Judas Priest and the Stranglers to be worthy of addition. Honestly, albums like "Black and White" by The Stranglers, "Aoxomoxoa" or "Blues for Allah" by The Grateful Dead, "White Light, White Heat" by The Velvet Underground or "Sad Wings of Destiny" by Judas Priest are in my opinion full fledged prog albums. But apparently "progressive" does not mean the same for everyone.

I was happy the other day to see support for early JP. I posted on “Dreamer Deceiver” and, to my ears, it’s a great lead in for bands like Queensryche and Fates Warning. Not every Prog band is primarily rooted in the Big Six. It’s sometimes more like six degrees of Kevin Bacon. We had great fun with the Beastie Boys topic.   

Edited by Jaketejas - June 30 2020 at 07:08
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 06:47
I might propose Bucks Fizz on the basis that Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics to one of their hits.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:03
Kajagoogoo coz Nick Beggs plays the bass 🤪
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

were they ever suggested? 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:53
Gang of 4---I think I got into a lot of arty bands and confused arty with prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As far as I can remember, no one suggested the Beastie Boys for inclusion. The poster of the thread was just wondering whether the band might be considered progressive (which, as we all know, does not automatically mean prog or worthy of inclusion in our database).

On the other hand, none of the bands mentioned above are outlandish in the least, though the jury is still out on whether they deserve to be included in the PA database.

I think I might go swimming later Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:22
Has anyone ever suggested Big Country?
Apart from the fact that I absolutely love the band and think Stuart Adamson was a god, I'd consider some of their stuff to have definite prog characteristics.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:34
^ There's certainly been a few suggestions of those that sound quite close to that.Wink (Good band actually but preferred the Skids)
Dire Straits have been nominated a few times over the years. I don't think they're even in the ball park personally but defining 'outlandish' might be a damn sight easier than defining who is and who is not eligible for inclusion on PA Sleepy

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 30 2020 at 08:47
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 10:55
Michael Bolton was an odd suggestion not too long ago.  Not sure if they were serious though.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:03
Meat Loaf (the 'artist')
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:03
Beatles...proto-prog?? Which really means nothing other than a band recorded a rock album prior to the 70s, that's literally everybody.
Highly influential pop band, just because Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse love them to death does not make them progressive rock band.
LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No, not in the usual way as such, though I did plug their instrumental track ‘Introduction’ (B-side to the wonderful track Hang on Now) as a Prog-Electronic number. And it’s nearly 6 mins long.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:43

No, not in the usual way as such, though I did plug their instrumental track ‘Introduction’ (B-side to the wonderful track Hang on Now) as a Prog-Electronic number. And it’s nearly 6 mins long.
If anything Mr Beggs should be included....he's a beast and makes Steven Wilson's records sound amazing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If anything Mr Beggs should be included....he's a beast and makes Steven Wilson's records sound amazing.
He makes ANY record sound amazing !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 30 2020 at 11:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>