Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite era of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which era of prog do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [58.73%]
1 [1.59%]
4 [6.35%]
14 [22.22%]
1 [1.59%]
4 [6.35%]
2 [3.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite era of prog
    Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:20
I've done at least one similar poll but not quite like this.

Also, it was a bit tricky to figure out where to make the cut offs for this but I chose 1980 since it was the beginning of a decade and 2001 since it was the beginning of a new millenium. For the other end I figured I would just say late sixties since it's debatable as to when prog actually started.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 29 2020 at 18:22
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:27
Mostly old prog, but middle and new have great albums as well!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:37
1969-1979...........
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:40
I changed it at the last minute to say "mostly old...."etc. I can't imagine anyone on here living under a rock so much that they aren't even curious as to what's been going on in prog in the past 30 plus years or so. Smile
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 19:42
It's not going to be hard to guess what people on this site will pick!Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 20:57
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

It's not going to be hard to guess what people on this site will pick!Embarrassed

Maybe, maybe not. This site has a lot of younger fans and it seems to me most younger fans are into more recent prog. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 29 2020 at 20:58
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 22:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. This site has a lot of younger fans and it seems to me most younger fans are into more recent prog. 

I guess I'm not most younger fans. I have started dipping my toes into recent prog with decent results, but for me the cream of the crop was in the 70s. Frankly it was online lists and reviews like we have hear at PA in part which steered me towards the 70s classics in the first place.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 22:02
70s
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I guess I'm not most younger fans. I have started dipping my toes into recent prog with decent results, but for me the cream of the crop was in the 70s. Frankly it was online lists and reviews like we have hear at PA in part which steered me towards the 70s classics in the first place.

Maybe this site is different than other online prog discussion forums.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 23:47
All 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:37
I'm with Bill Martin's 'Listening to the Future' which covered the period 68-78.  He notes the last, great prog rock album was Henry Cow's 'Western Culture'.  What is also notable is that the band never reformed after they split (unless you count the Lindsay Cooper tribute shows of 2014) but the individual members continued to push the boundaries.  Of course, progressive music has continued but most prog-rock became parody and pastiche.  Some of which I love.  Spock's Beard for example are hardly original but they carry it with such flair and panache that you can't help enjoying their music - even if it is firmly rooted in the 70s.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:43
Mostly 69 - 79. There's good stuff in all era's of course, but there was an abundance of it back then.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:48
Old and Newer

I do like some prog from 80's and 90's but generally my collection is dominated by seventies and the last 20 years.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:50
Definitely late-60's to 1979 without a doubt. I only review albums from that classic era of prog. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 03:12
Voted for the 80s and 90s. I may be the only one, but for me it seems very beneficial that during that time prog seemed to be dead or at least sleeping as a "genre", and those who did good music and are listed in PA now as "prog" by and large didn't do stuff based on or catering for genre cliches; they rather went their own new way and were at times hugely creative (Cardiacs and Talk Talk come to mind, but there are many others). As I've written elsewhere, nothing that sails too safely inside well defined genre boundaries can be properly progressive, and in my musical mind "progressive" may beat "prog rock".
Which should not take anything away from the hugely progressive stuff that was around end 60s, early 70s, but being in my teenage years and twenties in the 80s and early 90s, much of that era will be closer to my spirit.

Edited by Lewian - June 30 2020 at 03:16
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 03:59
95% of the prog I listen to was recorded between 1969-1979.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 05:47
Option one for sure, though I also enjoy a lot of the other eras.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 05:53
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Option one for sure, though I also enjoy a lot of the other eras.
Thumbs Up
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 06:26
I can't listen to the same album or band continuously. The last ten years of prog has been superb. 2019 had so many incredible releases and more choices than ever. The 80's were kind of weak, but still great albums from Rush, Holdsworth, Gabriel, Metheny, and KC. So I vote for all three equally.

No offense Mike, but did think the outcome of this poll would would be anything other than option one?
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:05
Well seasoned (aka old).
Welcome to the middle of the film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>